what other known players use the jem? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

what other known players use the jem?

everyone always says the jem is not a steve vai signiture model, however i have yet to see anyone else but vai that is just as known as vai, use a jem.

i want to get a jem, but ive always been hesitant on signiture models, as i feel it takes away from the originality, and just seems like your ripping the person off.

also, what model jems have coil tap, and how do you use it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 09:21 PM

Re: what other known players use the jem?

I don't feel that way. Think of how many people use the strat, which could be linked to a number of players.
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

true but see with a strat, when it came out, a whople bunch of players had it. with the jem. the only known player i have ever seen with a jem was steve vai, and its been over ten years since the jem was made.
post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leary
I don't feel that way. Think of how many people use the strat, which could be linked to a number of players.
Yeah, but the Strat wasn't designed with one particular player and has never been played by only one 'name' guitarist (who happens to be the same person that it was designed with).

Although the Jem isn't 'technically' classed as a Signature guitar it is probably the most successful selling 'Artist Endorsed' guitar ever.

What 'rich2k4' said about no other big-name players using Jems is correct, to a point. As far as I know there are no big-name artists who use Jems 'publicly', but I know of a few who own and play Jems privately (not in the public eye). This does seem to say that there is a stigma attached to Jems in that people DO see them as another Artists Signature model and therefore don't want to be seen to be playing them.
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

yea exactly. i was planning on getting an american deluxe, but i feel like i wouldnt be able to play certain songs cause of the 22 fret limit.

but i doub't i'd even go up that high.
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 10:49 PM

might not be what you would consider the same level as Vai, but C.C. Deville from Poison uses Jems in a few of there videos
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 10:59 PM

Are you playing arenas? Are you on TV or magazines?

If negative, Do you like that guitar? That's all you need.
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 11:09 PM

Personally I love the look and feel of the guitar. The fact that Vai helped design it is a bonus but not the reason I have one. Flavor Flav could have helped design it and I would still buy it. Although the giant gold clock might make it hard to play.

Goozman
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 11:17 PM

The days when people would use any guitar are pretty much over. Anybody who is somebody probably has a endorsement deal and under those deals can't or whouldn't be seen playing another brand or model.

But there is really only one signature model that no one seems bothered about being seen with: Les Paul
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 11:49 PM

doesn't Andy Martin, another player endorsed by Ibanez use JEM? I've seen various pictures of him with his 7VWH or UV777BK
post #11 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 11:54 PM

yes, cc deville is one, i know josh rand from stone sour likes them as well. james (7dyingtrees) of cradle of filth has said on hear that his BSB was all over thier last record. and not to mention how many people that have been seen with a universe which i think would be in the same opinion as being seen with a jem.
post #12 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 11:58 PM

Quite a few uni players indeed: Tret from Morbid Angel, Korn, number of other metal acts...

Another player I have seen with a Jem (10th actually!) was Rudi Buttas from a German band Pur (not that they are any good, but they do/did sell out concerts in Germany and appear on TV a couple of times)
post #13 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-18-2005, 05:13 AM

this is not siginificant at all.

in malaysia we have a guitarist playing with a local band, XPDC, palying a VSBL. i almost cannot believe my eyes. saw him on TV playing that a few times on TV.
post #14 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-18-2005, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawel
Another player I have seen with a Jem (10th actually!) was Rudi Buttas from a German band Pur (not that they are any good, but they do/did sell out concerts in Germany and appear on TV a couple of times)
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rudi_Buttas

Regards

André

post #15 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-18-2005, 06:45 AM

Harry Cody from Shotgun masiah had a custom made jem in the very late 80's, there is a pic in the Ibanez book that's out. I'm not at home but I belive it's yellow w/yellow tree of life inlay and a red russian hammer sycle graphic.

Tags
andy martin , coil tap , david lee roth , dimebag darrell , ibanez jem , john petrucci , les paul , marcel coenen , morbid angel , signature guitar , steve vai , zakk wylde , zakk wylde les paul

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode