What seperates a JEM from a RG? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-13-2005, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

What seperates a JEM from a RG?

What exactly seperates a jem from a rg?

Scalloped frets
Evolution Pickups
Monkey Grip

I guess you can add craftsmenship to that list. Am I missing something?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-13-2005, 07:34 PM

Re: What seperates a JEM from a RG?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optiquest
I guess you can add craftsmenship to that list. Am I missing something?
Not necessarily. Some of the upper echelon RG guitars rival if not exceed the Jem in quality.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-13-2005, 07:52 PM

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ lol
post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-13-2005, 07:53 PM

Jems have Monkey grip, different neck joint, different pickups, different neck (some i beleive may have the same dimensions) the inlay inlays, scalloped frets, hardware, bridge.... basically all they have in common are headstock and body shapes.... this is to my knoledge... may be off on a few...
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-13-2005, 08:38 PM

scale length,
string spacing,
trems,
frets,
wood,
pu's,
basically everything that matters.

RG's have the same body shape and headstock shape of the Jem's, but that is pretty much where the similarities end.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-13-2005, 08:49 PM

You forgot the lion claw...
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-13-2005, 09:22 PM

everytime I think RG I think older RG550 or higher...

There isn't a ton of difference honestly

Scale is 25.5
430 Radius
Wizard Neck
Trem is original Edge
Basswood Body
Maple Neck and Fretboard (in the case of my 550)
Jumbo Frets

a change of pickups and you have a great player but not that different from most older Jems...

But I never really considered buying a lower model RG so I honestly cant speak with any hands on for those...
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-13-2005, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlame
scale length,
string spacing,
trems,
frets,
wood,
pu's,
basically everything that matters.

RG's have the same body shape and headstock shape of the Jem's, but that is pretty much where the similarities end.
This has been pretty much discussed here ad infinitum, but here goes again.
First of all, you have to pick an RG to compare with...if you compare to a 550 or above, the differences aren't many. Ditto for the 770.

<>
If there's a different scale from the RG550 to a Jem, it's news to me.
<>
Same
<>,
Same
<>
Not sure if the RGs have 6105, but if it's not the same it's damn close
<>
Both made of basswood with maple neck/varying fingerboards.
<>
Yes, the Jems have better pickups.
<>
Same
<>
Basically, it comes down to pickups, aesthetics and, as somebody above said, $$$. The RG550/770s are absoultely comparable to the Jems in quality and good candidates to swap out pickups and make a 'poor man's jem'.

Having the last few frets scalloped was a handy thing on the old square-heel, but really makes no diff on the AANJ.

Once you start getting into the J-Custom RGs a LOT changes in terms of quality and materials and, for the most part, they DO exceed the jem in quality.
~K
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-13-2005, 09:31 PM

Do you guys have actual model numbers? I'm not an expert or anything, but I don't know of any RGs or Jems that:

- Don't have either an AANJ or old style block joint
- Don't have jumbo or medium jumbo frets
- Don't have a 25.5" scale length
- Aren't 43mm wide at the nut

The two biggest things that set the Jem apart from RGs are the monkey grip and lion's claw. I'll bet you that Ibanez's agreement with Steve (and Despagni, I guess) says that they're not allowed to use those on anything other than a Jem. Everything else is up for grabs.

Inlay: The RG8670 has a vine of life. No RG has had the pyramids and it's possible Steve owns the rights to that too.

Wood: Most RGs and Jems are basswood. I don't know of any RGs that are made of Alder and there has been no Jem made of mahogany.

Pickups: Both the RGs and Jems have shared the PAF Pro. Evos and Breeds seem to be exclusive to the Jem at the moment.

Bridge: There has never been a fixed bridge Jem, but the same tremolos have been used on both RGs and Jems, except for the TRS--I'm not counting the 555 here.

There's enough overlap between RGs and Jems for the above that I think it's difficult to point to those features and say that they are definitively different for RGs and Jems. The monkey grip and lion's claw are really what set the two lines apart. (But if you really want to get right down to it, the difference is that the Jems have Steve's name on them. (No, I don't mean that literally.))
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-13-2005, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moro
Inlay: The RG8670 has a vine of life.
The vine on the 8670 isn't really the same as the one on the Jem. (Not objectively better or worse, just slightly different.)

And "vine" inlays of various types have been around forever.

here's a banjo from 1900 with a vine....
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-13-2005, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrous Lepidoptera
The vine on the 8670 isn't really the same as the one on the Jem. (Not objectively better or worse, just slightly different.)

And "vine" inlays of various types have been around forever.
Yeah, that was kind of my point. The vine isn't exclusively a Jem thing. Unless people are going to argue that that *particular* vine inlay is what separates Jems from RGs. I think that's pushing it though.
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-13-2005, 10:16 PM

Talking Re: What seperates a JEM from a RG?

yeah its hard to say because there are so many model jems and rg's and they all have so many different options and specs, that its tuff to pick out definite spec differences.. The RG was modeled after the jem, thats why they are alot alike.. like squire and fender, (was that a good example, i cant figure it out) LOL
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-14-2005, 01:05 AM

Oh, one thing I forgot: output jack position...?

post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-14-2005, 02:51 AM

hmm interesting thread. I own one of each. (RG550 and....ok I own a 555 don't shoot me) aside from certain cosmetic differences (claw, vine, maple/rosewood, aanj/standard) the playability is really about the same. Sound wise I have PAF Pros on the RG and Evos on the JEM. Well I can't really say which one is better than the other cuz they both feel great. *shrug* :P
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-14-2005, 06:36 AM

Jems often have better woods compared to RGs, like a higher density maple neck so they'll sound warmer. As far as I know there are no RGs with ebony (no jems either at this moment) nor RGs that carry Evolutions. Trem springs are lighter too on RGs so they have less strings tension, which makes them play light but feel and sound very cheap too. High end RGs from the late 80s/early 90s feel just as massive as Jems. Frankly, I don't really care. I've got a Vigier hehe.

Tags
basswood body , body shape , custom models , custom shop , evolution pickups , fender custom shop , fender twin , fixed bridge , frets scalloped , headstock shape , ibanez guitars , ibanez jem , jumbo frets , kerry king , maple neck , medium jumbo frets , monkey grip , neck joint , paf pro , paf pros , pickup ring , pickup rings , production model , scalloped frets , trem springs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode