What seperates Universe from RG7? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-28-2005, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

What seperates Universe from RG7?

This is question that I have been asking myself for sometime. I got tipped off by the "Jem from RG" thread.

Other than cosmetics what is different? In fact, UV7GR does not have much in the cosmetics department. Some would think the UV7GR is an RG7 if it wasn't written on the headstock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-28-2005, 02:34 PM
RCB

Re: What seperates Universe from RG7?

Different neck profile, different pups (in some cases they are actually the same).
Most (or all, I cant tell for sure) RG7s are backrouted and most UVs (all, except the UV77MC) are front routed.
All the high end RG7 (the ones you can say are on par regarding quality of woods and craftmanship) are mahogany with maple top, and the UVs are made of basswood.

The difference between the jem vs RG and the UV vs RG7 is that you dont have that many qualilty 7 string RGs. So if you compare a UV777BK against a 1527 or a 7620 (not to even mention the 7420 and the 7320) you ll find that the UV has more attention to details and even better maple on the necks.

Comparing a UV against a 7620 would be like comparing a jem to an RG770. Comparing a UV against a 2027X would be like comparing a jem with an RG2020. Id take the jem and the UV in both cases.

Now, if you compare a UV next to an RG7CT its a harder choice (well, if its a UV77MC the chioce is still easy....)
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-28-2005, 05:05 PM

every guitar is different.. quality control and pickups are probably the main differences.. although im sure u'll find some RG7's that play/sound better than some UV's and vice verse.. just depends really.. i had an S540LTD that absolutly pooped on my JEM7VWH in terms of tone, playability, everything really.. it had PAF Pro's btw... so go figure one cost me 1899 quid one cost me 399 money doesnt always equal tone and quality.. but as a general rule it does.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 02:05 PM

All that, and the middle pickup
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCB
Now, if you compare a UV next to an RG7CT its a harder choice (well, if its a UV77MC the chioce is still easy....)
Imho, the UV777BK is a better axe (both in feel and sound) than the RG7CT.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 11:33 AM
RCB

You may like it better, but its certainly not better. I think they are comparable guitars, some people with like the RG7CT over the UV, and some others will take the UV over the RG7CT.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-03-2005, 07:52 PM

http://www.extendedrangeguitar.com/E...0ff57c23a52ba5

I posted a lengthy comparison of my UV and 7620 over at www.extendedrangeguitar.com that might help you shed some light on the differences. Both are great, and I mean GREAT, axes - I personally prefer the UV, but I know a few guys who prefer their 7620s, and from what I've managed to gather (and observe through personal experience), my particular UV is a tonal monster.

-D

Tags
paf pro

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode