what should i buy, sell, your opinion with my new thoughts - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 04:45 AM Thread Starter

what should i buy, sell, your opinion with my new thoughts

alright, i haven't bought a guitar in awhile (6 months) and i was thinking of something. being that i have no money for one, i have an idea..... i need your opinion.

i have had many a jem and have finally decided on my 7vwh....just perfect for me! i also have a DNA which i don't play. before getting my 7vwh i had bought a MINT ibanez paul gilbert model pgm30. that is the all white one with black f-holes (resembles what is on a violin.) i LOVE this guitar and it's just awesome! then i totally lucked into the purple pgm30 with pink f-holes. you should see this one in the spotlight! this one is also totally mint!!! i love them both. i mainly play my 7vwh though.

here is my thought.... do i ditch both pgm's and give up my idea of having them on the cool guitar wall in my future (whenever that will happen) house? sell them, and get another 7vwh....but why 2? as a backup? or get the new blue jem. i heard it's just as great as the 7vwh but i would have a little variety there. but again, why 2? cuz i love them. and selling 2 gilberts could get me 1 jem, thus cutting down some inventory. but is it stupid to have 2 of the same?

or just keep what i got and be done with it. i was just thinking of moving some stuff around and consolidating a bit. i really don't play anything but my 7vwh so i thought i wouldn't miss the gilberts. but they look so good and play really well. i'm a big fan of the RG series....RG 470 mainly, and these gilberts are just like that but better made. but then i get that 7vwh in my hands....."forget about it."

any comments are welcome. thanks in advance.
~steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 05:21 AM

It depends on how much gigging you are doing at the moment. If you are playing some serious live gigs and need a second VWh as a backup then go for it. If not then I don't really see the point in getting another identical guitar unless you want one as a player and one to hang on your wall looking pretty.
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 06:22 AM

Why not try out some other brands than Ibanez?
post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 06:35 AM Thread Starter

well the only brands i like are the ibanez jem series or Jackson. just love the vwh so much, that is what i thought. plus, it's gotten old. i have grown tired of having 8 guitars when you can only play 2. if i had to do it all over again, i would have just bought 2 - 7vwh's. BUT it took all those purchases and sellings to find what i really wanted.
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 06:36 AM

Are you a collector or a player? If you're going to collect guitars, the obvious answer is to keep what you've got, save your money and then buy something else.

If you're just a player, think of guitars like tools. When you want to screw a screw into something you don't use a hammer, you use a screwdriver. What are you trying to build? While building this do you need to have a second hammer, or screwdriver in case one breaks?

Here are some things to think about: get an Ibanez with the Double Edge bridge; try a different pickup config; try a seven string; try an S or JS.

Good luck.
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 08:20 AM

There are always new amps to buy, too... For some reason I've caught that particular bug recently.
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by satch
Why not try out some other brands than Ibanez?
I hate to say this but I agree wholeheartedly....

I spent a good chunk of this weekend listening to Derek and the Dominoes "Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs" and trying to get some vintage sounds with my Line 6 Flextone amp and Clapton Strat. I just had a blast getting sounds that none of my Ibanez could only get facsimiles of. There's just soemthing about a good Strat that eclipses what others have tried to engineer to be like it. Same with a Les Paul; I played a 1971 Deluxe and just fell in love with the thing.

I find when I play different instruments I grow as a player because sonically I use the advantages and faults of the instruments in my playing. It tends to make me a better player and tonally I have a much better understanding of what a song is needing tonally.

You've got a whole herd of super-strats....why not try something different?
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 08:57 AM

If you have the money, go to esp-guitars.com (or something) and build your own guitar
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 09:12 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
selling the PGMs would be a great starting point. I don't see any reason to own two VWHs myself. Happy shopping.... glen
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 09:18 AM

I, too, am a proponent of getting varied sounds. Variety is the spice of life. I would go with getting something that offers you a totally different approach to tone and sound sculpture. Maybe a hollow-body. Sell the DNA and get a PRS Archtop with Piezos. (Just an idea)

More of the same gets boring for me, I like constant change....it keeps me on my toes. You will be surprised at how adding a new sound will change the way you approach things. Certain tones will lead you in different directions and allow you to expand and explore more so than if you stick with the same sound and the same axe all the time.

My vote would be to go in a totally different direction.
post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 09:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gresh
Maybe a hollow-body. Sell the DNA and get a PRS Archtop with Piezos. (Just an idea)
i thought of someday selling the DNA but it's too sweet even though i don't play it. that is a total collector, especially since it's signed. BUT a PRS.......AHHHHH! brain discombobulating, body crumbling, that does not compute. you have a good idea but i just hate those guitars, along with any gibson. that's just me. i can't play them at all. i hate tree trunks for guitars. i love the jem. maybe ditch the pgm's and get some jem. maybe the Jem7V or another vwh. just have 2 of my fav guitars....that's all i need. one to play and one for backup. i think a visit to rich will be at hand in a few months...we'll see.
post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 10:16 AM

I didn't pay attention to who started the thread....now I know which DNA you have....disregard my comment ..... you have one of the coolest DNAs made in my opinion.
post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 11:05 AM Thread Starter

hey thanks man!
post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 11:38 AM

I have a suggestion: pick some 'lawsuit' ibanez from ebay, they're always there and very cheap (I'd have a collection by now, but living in Chile...) there's setneck les pauls, yngwie-ish strats, and those cool korina v's and destroyers...

add a refret and some new pickups and they're still a bargain, and most importantly....still ibanez!
post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-08-2002, 10:50 PM
rvj

Steve, I've wrestled with this same question myself quite a few times. Well, I'm still partially undecided. I've got five of these guitars (UVMC, DNA, VWH, 90th, DY) and I only play three. I originally bought my 90th as a back up to the VWH. Lately, believe it or not... I've been playing the DY the most.
I have definitely decided to sell the UVMC and I'm thinking about selling the DNA as well. I'm looking at it this way... I don't play the swirls, and I probably never will. Sure, they may go up in value one day. But when?

As for your dilemma... Are you going to play the new acquisition? Or, will it become a collector? Also, is this decision financial? If so, consolidating is not a bad idea.
I personally don't like having two of the same exact guitars. So for me, I would'nt want two VWH's. But if you love your VWH as much as you say you do, a VSBL would be a great choice. I would sell the PGM's.

Tags
beautiful guitar , double edge bridge , edge bridge , fender strat , ibanez guitars , ibanez jem , ibanez jem series , ibanez paul gilbert , jackson dinky , jem project , les paul , les pauls , music store , parker fly , parker fly classic , paul gilbert , rosewood board , steve morse

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode