What's the big deal? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-22-2003, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
IRM

What's the big deal?

Hey, what's the big deal with JEMs? Not to sound stuck up or anything, but what's the appeal of them as apposed to other Ibanez(and other companies') guitars, other than Vai's endorsement? It seems like JEMs have an immense following, and I was just curious as to why.
I was also thinking about purchasing either an RG or JEM, and was curious why the JEM would stand out above the RG.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-22-2003, 08:46 PM

I like the JEM because of the neck (I like it that it is wider than the wizard) it has a legacy, the color options are awesome, Vai uses one, and the monkey grip and lions claw are just pure wicked awesome!
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-22-2003, 09:01 PM

Playability, trem, awesome necks, aesthetics, I suppose... It's not just the Vai thing, they are just really great playing guitars.

Alden
post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-22-2003, 09:08 PM

I wasn't into Jems at first. I was into Gibson SGs. The look of a guitar, however vain it sounds, is important to me. It affects how I play interestingly. The appeal started when I saw Steve on stage, though... I was hooked.

The Jem I think is the most diverse line of guitars ever made with one body design. Plus, as everyone else will say, they play very very well.

-Alex
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-22-2003, 09:15 PM

I'm just here for the UVs. Nah, they're beautiful guitars, and sound and play (apparently ) amazing.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-22-2003, 09:30 PM

hey, i have a Gibson SG and i love the thing. Although i just bought a JEM7DBK and so i may have to sell the Gibson, as much as i love it, i just need that trem.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-22-2003, 10:32 PM

the wide neck is a big plus. If you play a JEM after just about any other guitar, you will feel the difference. If you have a chance, try a JEM through a Carvin Legacy, by design, they work great together. If you are ever in PA, you are more than welcome to come try it out for yourself.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-23-2003, 12:19 AM

the Jem is cool cos it's a pointy guitar.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-23-2003, 01:42 AM

I'm one of the few here who hates that guitar. I don't like the way it looks or plays. I am the anti-monkey grip anti-swirl, anti-fluorescent colours and anti-mirror pickguard jemsiter.

I love the Universe, but I needed to mod mine to look "normal". The only other guitars I really like from Ibanez is the 1077XL (which I think I would trade my UV for), 2027 and the Mushok model (which I havn't tried yet).

My main interest here though is by far the community. Lots of smart people willing to help.

Cheers
Pat
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-23-2003, 02:54 AM

I love the looks of the JEM7VWH and JEM7SBL! I'm not a fan of the swirls though...
I love the UV777PBK...

My PGM500 and my UV777PBK is just perfect
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-23-2003, 07:04 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
In effect there are some big differences between a JEM and an RG .

The first is the aesthetics. The JEMs all have a much bigger visual impact than most guitars, whether it's the industrial looking DBK with the industructable road surface finish, or the pimped up white and gold VWH, or the refined and elegant vintage looking VSBL. The monkey grip and Lions claw rout add to the image as well as having practical applications.

In terms of sound, the JEMs offer a different slant on tone compared to the RGs, they come stock with the superb DiMarzio pickups that Steve chipped in on the design of, and especially in the higher models have a range of woods that are currently not available on even a Prestige series RG, Alder bodies with a choice of Rosewood or Ebony fingerboards.

The necks themselves are a little thicker than most found on the RGs which not only helps the tone somewhat but for many of us increases the playing comfort, especially when playing a long gig or practice. They tend to have a smooth, light satin finish on them, not sticky like a painted neck, but a finish that still maintains a good feel of the bare wood whilst also offering it some hard protection, a feature common to many of the higher guitars in Ibanez's range.

Compared to other similar guitars, it's just a matter of personal taste. JEMs often get compared to the Jackson Soloist, a great guitar, but not one that has identical features. The JEM is obviously a bolt on design (as opposed to the Soloist's through-neck construction) which many find lacks sustain, but I prefer to describe it as addding sparkle to the sound, a trade off I'll make any day of the week.

The Ibanez guitars until recently came with the Lo-Pro Edge trem, I'd consider this the most stable and comfortable design inthe market place. This changed a few days back and the 2003 line will come with a redesigned and publically unproven trem.

I choose the JEM because when I play that guitar, I'm not limited by my instrument in any way, sonically or physically. I know that if I can't play what I want, how I want on a JEM, there's no guitar that I can do it on.

Yes I've tried any alternative I can find, and I've always maintained I'll switch brands if and when I find something better. I still haven't found the better yet, and I've been playing Ibanez guitars pretty much exclusively for the last 10 or so years.
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-23-2003, 09:03 AM

Quote:
I choose the JEM because when I play that guitar, I'm not limited by my instrument in any way, sonically or physically. I know that if I can't play what I want, how I want on a JEM, there's no guitar that I can do it on.

I found myself limited on my SG. The neck is a little thick, and have you ever tried playing vai/satriani stuff on a guitar without a trem? Exactly.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-23-2003, 08:53 PM

it's the handle and the lions claw. it just looks cool. and it plays nicely as well, or so I've been told
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-24-2003, 02:27 AM

I'm not the greatest guitarist in the world.........(okay I suck) but I know that my JEMs have no physical limitations for any style music. I got into them because I am an 80's child and love cheesy stuff that no one likes anymore music wise. I can play Whitesnake, Survivor, Duran Duran, Dio and Van Halen on them. The wacky thing is that I got into studying Jazz and my JEMs fit the bill perfectly there too. Now if I could only get them to sound like banjos I'd be styling.............
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-24-2003, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat7
I'm one of the few here who hates that guitar. I don't like the way it looks or plays. I am the anti-monkey grip anti-swirl, anti-fluorescent colours and anti-mirror pickguard jemsiter.

OK, Pat7, you are now officially BANNED from Jemsite!! hehe...just kidding, man....

Tags
alder bodies , beautiful guitar , dimarzio pickup , dimarzio pickups , ebony fingerboard , edge bridge , edge trem , fingerboard wood , ibanez guitars , jackson soloist , les paul , monkey grip , neck finish , playing guitar , pro edge , pro edge trem , sounding guitar , van halen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode