What's a good string height action? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-27-2020, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

What's a good string height action?

What's your action at the 12th fret?

I read that the standard action for electric guitars is 1.5mm at high E and 2mm at low E. Is this the action that the Prestige guitars come from the factory?

I bought a string action gauge from D'addario. It has good reviews. I'm not paying $35 for Stewmac

My action at the 12th fret is 2.25 on high E and 2.5 on low E

Before getting the gauge, I thought it was low action, but apparently is not, but all my life, I played with high action guitars without realizing cause I never had setups done on them cause they were cheap $150 guitars
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-28-2020, 10:38 AM

Re: What's a good string height action?

A "good" action is one that works for you, nothing else. Some people prefer lower, some higher.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-28-2020, 08:15 PM

It depends on your playing style. For example, your current setup is something Stevie Ray Vaughn would have used. He had a very heavy picking hand and heavy playing style in general. But he was an incredible blues player. Where players like Guthrie Govan have would have something much closer to... anything from 1mm to 1.5mm at the 12th fret, same with Vai or satriani. But they have a much faster, lighter touch playing style. I've read that Satch has had it below 1mm before. I am not so sure how true that is... That seems too low to be playable. If you have a heavy picking hand, the buzzing would be terrible with really low action.

Typically a "fast" setup is low because it takes less effort to have the string meet the fret. Though fret wear, neck relief and the general quality of the fret leveling also dictates how low your action can be without buzzing. It is definitely a preference. For me personally I like 1.5mm at the 12th fret.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-29-2020, 10:05 AM

Re: What's a good string height action?

I like as low as possible with as little fret buzz as possible.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode