What's this Jem777DY worth? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

What's this Jem777DY worth?

Sorry to lure you in but no pics guys

-"Almost" players condition, but I'm a perfectionist, probably rated as "Good", '88 Jem777DY
-Trem posts are angled forward about 1.5mm
-Trem is really rusty/dirty
-Neck and Fretboard are very dirty
-Low E slips off the fretboard from frets 3-10 pretty easily, didn't look to be fixable by loosening the bolts and pulling the neck towards the low E
-Few finish cracks or paint chips, but there are a couple
-On the quartersawn neck, where the neck meets the headstock, I can feel the groove with my hands, there seems to be no separation whatsoever but I can feel the groove. Is this normal?
-All original, every part
-It ****in Smokes!!!

So what's it worth?

Thanks, and on second though here's a pic of a random guitar to satisfy "that" craving we all have...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 08:50 PM

Re: What's this Jem777DY worth?

Probally not much since it has been modded to look like a 7VWH
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 08:53 PM

Just kidding

Seriously if it has that much damage probally not much and while it plays well not you might have issues down the road. Thou don't take my word as there are much more learnerd folks here than I.
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 01:30 AM

Wow I want a white desert yellow guitar
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 02:50 AM

If it is that beat up with the low e slipping off the fretboard and it doesn't look fixable, trem posts bent, etc, I don't really understand how it "****ing smokes". Perhaps you mean that the neck is very fast, but they all are, so I wouldn't wate your time on a guitar with that many problems that don't appear fixable. They all "****ing smoke", so I would find one that was already playable or at least one that is fixable.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 03:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilkyBear View Post
If it is that beat up with the low e slipping off the fretboard and it doesn't look fixable, trem posts bent, etc, I don't really understand how it "****ing smokes". Perhaps you mean that the neck is very fast, but they all are, so I wouldn't wate your time on a guitar with that many problems that don't appear fixable. They all "****ing smoke", so I would find one that was already playable or at least one that is fixable.
right, that's really the question I should have asked. are most of these problem's fixable? I have read somewhere on Ibanez rules about trem posts that have become angled and such but I don't know what's making the low E slip off. when I look at the guitar from straight above there does not appear to be extra fret on the high E side. is it something that happens with age? or is it a problem common with that era JEM or something?

i could clean her up real nice and she sounds soooo good. but is everything fixable and what's the guitar worth since I'd have to buy it in the first place?
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 04:36 AM

It should be fixable, check here, at the bottom of the page. Bent trem posts are also very fixable usually, although it seems kind of strange, are they actually bent, or warble in the inserts? Loose studs that pull forward is usually fixable, I think you have to pull the inserts, plug the hole, and re-drill for new inserts, but I think thats in extreme cases.... Of course without pics this is all speculation, the guitar could be totally fubar'd.

http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/grunge/grunge_6.htm

Last edited by Lefty Robb; 08-21-2008 at 04:43 AM.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 08:51 AM
HDS

Not only all that sounds like you have scarf joint-itus. That grove you feel when you run your hand over the scarfjoint, yeah thats the wood shrinkage (hehe). Your hight "E" slipping off the board could be a few things like fret crowning to the width of the fret board. I have a 87 JemSK that has a thiner neck profile then most Jems and sometimes get slippage on both "E's".
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty Robb View Post
It should be fixable, check here, at the bottom of the page. Bent trem posts are also very fixable usually, although it seems kind of strange, are they actually bent, or warble in the inserts? Loose studs that pull forward is usually fixable, I think you have to pull the inserts, plug the hole, and re-drill for new inserts, but I think thats in extreme cases.... Of course without pics this is all speculation, the guitar could be totally fubar'd.

http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/grunge/grunge_6.htm
I couldnt tell ya if they warble in the inserts. Both are uniformly tilted forward a little bit. The guitar doesn't have the trem bar so i tried moving the bridge with my hands and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary.

And yea, the slipage on the low E is isn't BAD. But, it's noticeable, which is enough to drive some people crazy.

It's really not in bad condition, just these few issues. Anyone put a price tag on it?
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 04:59 PM
HDS

Is this the one on cragslist for $1200 out there in Cali? If so, not worth it.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDS View Post
Is this the one on cragslist for $1200 out there in Cali? If so, not worth it.
not on craigslist, it's at a guitar center, which instantly devalues it I'm looking for a quote from the jemsite brains so I can compare and maybe make an offer to those price gougers.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 09:01 PM

I looked in their used section and found it. It looks pretty nasty. With all those problems man don't get it unless your good with DIY repairs otherwise you will sink alot more into it to make it right.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicDebris View Post
I looked in their used section and found it. It looks pretty nasty. With all those problems man don't get it unless your good with DIY repairs otherwise you will sink alot more into it to make it right.
or have a REALLY good luthor.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty Robb View Post
or have a REALLY good luthor.
Like this one?

post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 11:40 PM Thread Starter

how'd u know the name of my luthor!?!

Tags
jem , jem 777dy , jem777dy , warped neck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode