What's the used UV market like nowadays? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

What's the used UV market like nowadays?

Hello Jemsiters.

I'm not sure who is still around for the many years ago that i used to frequent this site. Hopefully there are a few still here that can validate my existence and credibility.

I've been toying with the idea of selling my UV777BK that I've done some modifications/upgrades to. It's a one-of-a-kind UV, but it doesn't stray too much from the original concept.

I don't want this to look like a for sale ad (yet), so I won't post pics, details, etc. but I'm just wondering if people are still buying these guitars -- I'd only part with it for a market-value amount - I'm not looking to liquidate quickly for a low-ball offer.

I guess my questions are...Should I even bother putting it up for sale, and what are UV777BKs fetching these days?

Thanks in advance
Kenny

PS: I'm sure there are pics of my UV around this site in the archives if your curiosity is killing you. I used to call it UV777BK-Red
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 01:01 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Re: What's the used UV market like nowadays?

I'm around Kenny!!! Good to hear from you!!!

No idea what the UV would go for these days though
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 01:26 PM

Hello!!!
Do you have some nice pics?????

cheers
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

Hey Jono - glad to see you're still hanging around. i'm not even sure the last time I stopped in.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

WTF is with the 'ads by google' in the middle of my post!??!
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 04:34 PM

I'm putting mine back on the market, when it comes back from the repair shop tomorrow.

(edit) Tech just called me, all the pots, wiring, and the 5-way switch are fried!

Last edited by JPM7stringfan; 12-21-2010 at 08:41 PM.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 10:27 PM

Holy smokes, I wonder where you went! Glad to see you back!
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 02:10 PM

Reviews: 3

I don't think this counts as market value, but there is a guy selling a 1990 UV77MC, It's been in rotation for quite a while though. It's on the Spokane Craigs list. I can't post the link as I am still a newb here.

-B
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 03:37 PM Thread Starter

I searched spokane CL for "vai" and found it.

It's an MKR for $2800 (yikes!)

The same old BS story:
IBANEZ has just reissued these guitars for a limited production of 100 and were selling for $6000. These same reissues are being sold on ebay for $8000. Why pay that for a reissue when you can have the real thing for $2800. Comes with original pink lined case. Shoot me an email if you are interested.

Guitar was found through Vintage Guitar Magazine and was purchased from its second owner. The story goes that Ibanez gave this guitar to Steve Vai and it went into his closet where it sat for a few years. Once he got around to cleaning out his closet, he gave it to a friend as a gift. This friend didnt play guitar so he left it in the case and only rarely pulled it out to show friends. It was then purchased from him by my friend who found it in Vintage Guitar Magazine about ten years ago. But once again, no documentation. If you do a little detective work, it might add to the value.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 05:33 PM

Reviews: 3

Like I said it's been in rotation for a long time on there. I only own one JEM and I have to say, there sure is a racket in general with collector guitars. I'm sure glad there's great people and resources like this place to help the uninformed like myself! As soon as I get a few more posts I can post some pics of my JEM and get your guys' help and advice.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 05:45 PM

Reviews: 6

FWIW, I paid $1400 for my Universe back in March of this year. Mine's a '99 and in what I would consider "very good to excellent" shape. It's not "Mint" that's for sure. I figured it was a fair price, I'm sure I could have talked the guy down a bit more but I've always wanted a Universe for as long as I can remember. And have owned all kinds of other guitars(mainly Ibanez's and Fender's) but have never run across a nice Universe, other than being brand new in guitar stores.

I will say this much, now that I have one, it's the one guitar that I'll never, sell or do without. It's probably my favorite guitar, the way it plays when I pick it up, it's like I've owned it since brand new in 1999.

I'd think hard about selling it if I were you man. If you really love the guitar, keep it. After all it is a Universe and while it ain't rare or super sought after. It's still a guitar you don't see alot of guys with.

I've had 4 RG7620's(7 Strings) and my Universe speaks to me on a completely different level than my other 7's did.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 07:47 PM

Reviews: 9

If you can, I'd put the original Pickguard back on. 80% of the folks on the general market looking for one of these aren't big JEM or UV fans just Vai fans wanting the guitar they've seen him playing in the videos on youtube etc.

If that's not a possibility you'f probably get 850-900 in this country fir something like that. maybe a little more, it almost depends on the day of the week, lol.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 08:38 PM

Reviews: 2

bought a 98 one for like $800 and got like $1,000 store credit to trade it in and used that to get an Eastman archtop. The store said they would give me another $100 for an Ibanez case. Haven't decided yet if I want to give them one because then one of my guitars would not have a case.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

replies in no particular order.

I like the guitar, but I play it a couple of times a year, and otherwise it's hanging on the wall. I'd rather sell it to someone who'll play it. I used to play it at gigs, but since I got my Parker, I rarely play anything else. I wouldn't miss it.

The tacky mirror pickguard is long gone! Good riddance. I think the red swirl (done by Jemsiter YaYo Gakk) gives it more character anyway. SOmebody will like it.

The pickups were all swapped out too - EVO7 Bridge, PAF7 Neck and a Tom Anderson custom-wound 7 single. I'd just be looking to get fair market value - it's in good condition, but it was a player for years. If I got $1000, I'd be just fine with that. I could probably part it out for more than that.

Still thinking..........

Tags
uv universe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode