What's wrong here? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-20-2005, 02:15 AM Thread Starter

What's wrong here?

I have a UV777BK with a Lo Pro Edge that I bought used. It's serial number is F9958894 so I've been assuming (and fairly sure) it's a '99 model. Anyway, whenever I play the thing and give a note a hefty helping of vibrato I find that the low E string becomes flat. I retune the guitar but still find the low E going flat. The reason I mentioned the year of the guitar is because I am suspecting something is wrong with either the nut or the string saddle because of age/use.

What do you guys think is wrong?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-20-2005, 12:15 PM

Re: What's wrong here?

Strings need stretching? Loose saddle? Nut not clamped tight enough? Walking nut? Bad string? Fine tuner slipping?

Could be any or those, or a number of other reasons.

Is it JUST the low E string or are other strings going out of tune?

Have you checked that all screws/nuts are tight? (Not too tight, but snug)

I have a 15 year old RG 550 with a 13 year old bridge on it and it works just fine . . . so unless it's damaged I doubt the age has anything to do with it. Normally age problems would be knife edge wear . . . and that usually shows up as all strings staying sharp, or flat, after pulling up or pushing down on the whammy, but a quick pull in the other direction would bring that back to tune.

If it's only the one string every time, check the nut for slipping, and the saddle for the same . . .

Mic
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-20-2005, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

The nut is clamped very tight and so are the saddles. I'm thinking one of those is slipping.

I'm going to go mess with it a bit longer.

Thanks
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-20-2005, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

Okay, I strung the guitar with new strings and tightened the nut and saddles as much as I could. The E and A string still go out of tune and I wasn't even using that much vibrato.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 05:19 AM

Well, don't over do it, you'll do more harm than good if you over tighten them.

Did you check the bolts that hold the nut itself in place? (Not the clamps, but the bolts that go through the neck) and the saddle intonation screw is tight as well?

Did you stretch the strings completely? You have to be pretty aggressive with the wound strings, if you don't stretch them until they almost totally stop going flat with each stretch this will happen.

Did you check to see if the strings are slipping? There's a very easy test . . .

Just press the string behind the nut and see if it goes sharp when you press, if it does you know it's slipping at the nut, if it doesn't, then you know that's not your problem.

Click the swirly banner at the top of the page and follow Rich's check list for tuning stability, it's about as thorough as you're going to get.

If you've followed all of his steps and still have problems the only answer is to bring it to a tech, but just make sure you've done everything suggested before you decide to go that rout.

Oh, and again, don't over tighten, that can and will cause more problems. They should just be tight enough to hold the string, too tight and you'll damage the nut/bridge and then you'll never stay in tune and may even end up with a bridge that won't even hold strings at all. (Here's a tip, if you've tightened the nut/saddle so much that the string is flattened at the clamp points, it's WAY too tight. )

Mic
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 03:15 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the help. The saddle intonation screw was loose. Fixed!

Again, thanks for the help.

Tags
pro edge , string saddle , wound strings

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode