What's wrong with the UV777BK ? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2004, 06:19 AM Thread Starter

What's wrong with the UV777BK ?

As already stated in antoher topic: there seems to be one up for auction every other day, and relatively cheap at that. How come people are getting rid so quickly of it ? Something to do with the construction (structural defects...) ? More of an exhibition piece than a player ?

I have been really tempted a few times to buy one, but I'm starting to get reluctant - surely there must be a reason why people are massively writing off a guitar that still sells here for $2300 in shops ?

Your thoughts, please...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2004, 08:12 AM

There's nothing wrong with the UV777BK, it's a fine guitar. You'll find more of these on sale than any other UV (maybe apart from the UV7BK) because more have been made. People are more reluctant to part with their MC, for example. I'll bet if you went to Ebay you would find a bunch of VWH's on there, and there is certainly nothing wrong with those.

Trust me, I have a UV777BK and mine is going nowhere.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2004, 10:37 AM

Also, they were the UV that was out when the big 7-string craze hit, so anyone who wanted a 7-string, but not something cheap that would say "Korn" immediately went for a UV, and some of them have decided they don't use/need it anymore.

All the better for those of us that do
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2004, 11:17 AM

Reviews: 1
i think the emergence of the baritone scale 6 string has caused a lot of people to switch to that and dump their uv's. As previously stated, the 777bk is not and never will be a collectors piece do to the large production so people are definately more willing to part with them. Furthermore, 7 string necks are not for everyone and a lot of people sell because they just cant get accustomed to the feel of the neck. Out of all the 7 strings I have played, the UV's neck is definately the widest and thickest.

If you notice, the 777bk does hold its value rather well comparitively speaking. a mint condition one will still fetch around a grand. If they were junk, you'd see a lot lower resale value.

As for construction, my BK is built like a brick sh$thouse. I have been completely happy with it except for one dead spot on my neck....but that stuff happens. QC is never perfect, especially from ibanez. The guard is prone to scratching which would be my only complaint from a design standpoint. But, this is a boutique quality instrument and should not be thrown around. It pains me to see these guitars showing up in classifieds in player condition with all sorts of nicks and dings.

So, to answer your question, theres nothing wrong with the guitar.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2004, 12:25 PM

Nah, 777bk has a lot narrower neck than, say RG1077XL. 777bk neck actually feels more like a 6 string neck. I had both RG1077XL and UV777, and while RG1077 was a great guitar, it was a giant pain to use 6-string after playing XL neck. Fingers just weren't landing at the right places - motoric confusion. Not so with UV777 due to narrower neck and shorter scale. And I didn't notice any loss in tightness of the 7th string either.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2004, 01:01 PM

This is a little like asking, "What's wrong with the Fender Strat?" There are a ton of them out there.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2004, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachle7
This is a little like asking, "What's wrong with the Fender Strat?" There are a ton of them out there.
what's wrong with it? It's made by Fender
Buy a Levinson Blade lol
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2004, 09:47 PM

I think it's because most of the sellers have tried, but realised/decided that they prefer to concentrate on the 6 string guitar. That was it for me and a bunch of guitarists that I know as well. So I am just extrapolating...
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-07-2004, 08:14 AM Thread Starter

All right, you guys convinced me... I'll be on the lookout for one
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-10-2004, 01:26 AM

I notice this a lot even in the classifieds here at Jemsite, there are always 5 or so UV777BK's on the first page alone of the JEM/UV classifieds. But like was said, I chalk it up to quantity & years of production.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-10-2004, 03:46 AM

From my point of view i think it's a great piece of eye candy but also plays and sounds like a dream. The neck feels very 'robust' but not too dissimilar to a regular six, if you know what i mean, a quality that sold me on the guitar in the first place.

I bought mine brand new last year after much deliberation between that and another Ibanez model (six string), but now after almost a year i've decided i want to try the other model to see how i get on with it. If it doesn't work out i'll definately be buying a UV again!

Hell, i might even stretch to the two of them if i like the six as much!
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-10-2004, 09:50 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
imho the UV777BKs are the highest quality and best playing UVs made. i say that having owned and played them all extensively. the problem with resale is what was said above... many were made over a period of years. Plus after the UV discontinuation in the USA, probably alot of these were sold (relatively speaking) in a short time during the reintroduction.

But in reality, there probably will always be a glut of used UVs in the market compared to 7-string players (and collectors). I mean the UV777BK was the first decent 7-string available new to alot of people in the late 90s so anyone wanting one, had purchased one... nevermind few alternates existed... glen
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-20-2004, 05:32 PM

there is absolutely nothing wrong with the uv777bk i have played a bunch of them and they were all great. easily the best 7 string guitar out there

Tags
fender strat , string necks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode