when the org. UVs came out, opinions? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-20-2002, 10:40 PM Thread Starter

when the org. UVs came out, opinions?

back in 90 or so, when the universe came out, what did u guys think, i was too young to care about guitars back then but i just wanna know what the whole first experience was like imagining some guitar company coming up with a 7 string guitar. i mean, were you guys like woh... this sounds heavy, or was it like... WTF is this? cant we just stick with 6? anywho thanx for ur comments.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-20-2002, 11:03 PM

My thoughts were:

"That's neat."

and

"I think Steve Vai has taken this '7' numerology thing a bit over the top."

And that was it.

Twelve years later, i'm more into the 7-string idea, because it makes musical sense for me now. But at the time, i looked at it as a Vai novelty, and was surprised Ibanez made it a production model.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-20-2002, 11:08 PM

I know for me at the time it was hard enough to manage 6 strings.When they came out with sevens it was really a Vai thing.The whole shred thing was peaking.Passion and Warfare just blew me away completely.
I didn't get a seven 'til much later.I love it though.
To answer your question,I thought it was way cool.
post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-21-2002, 02:40 AM

I started playing in January of 1990. I started reading guitar mags around May or June of that year. Of course, who was on the cover of every other issue at that time? Well, I got into P&W in a big way. At that time, I didn't even have an electric. I knew that I just had to have a Universe because that's what Vai played. Isn't that what all new guitar players think, use what your idols use? By August of 1990 I made the drive to Chicago (from Pennsylvania) to buy a Universe. I was one of the lucky ones to find a UV7PWH at a 'bargain' basement price in Biasco's Music. When I asked how much they wanted for the white Universe (only one they had), the salesman said, "I'll make you a deal you can't refuse, $900 including the case, just get the thing out of here!". Of course, I didn't haggle at all. I said I'd take it. He threw in a few sets of strings and a dozen picks. I know I had to pay sales tax too, but I don't remember how much. The receipt is still around here somewhere, but a quick search didn't turn it up right away for me to check. I just had to have one because they were Vai guitars. Of course I'm hooked now. I really feel fortunate that I the first lead I had on a Universe didn't pan out. It was the black and green one!!!
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-21-2002, 11:26 AM

When that guitar came out i was a huge Vai fan and i wanted one real bad. I remember constantly telling my dad that i wanted one. My father was a guitar player and he also taught me how to play. I remember him telling me '' you cant play the 6 that you got what are you going to do with 7''?Anyways, I was also a huge metallica fan and thought that if i had the 7 string I could make some ridiculously heavy sounds. Needless to say I was young and had no money and by the time I did get enough money to buy one every 12 yr. old kid was trying to be korn.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-21-2002, 03:08 PM

When I first saw the 7 strings, this was my reaction!!!!!!!!

no, that's not actually me :P
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-21-2002, 11:36 PM

Nice pic! I was very impressed when the Universe came out in '87 or so. I have always been a huge Vai fan and I wanted one then. Unfortunately I could not afford one for a long time, but I finally threw down in '99 and got a UV777. I also looked at it as a Vai novelty and I didn't envision it being very successful at the time. Especially since the early ones where selling for $2500 at Guitar Center back then. But still, I wanted one!
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-21-2002, 11:52 PM

Jem was 87, Universe came out in 90 I wanted one in 90
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-22-2002, 01:26 AM

Ditto. Thanks for the correction.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-22-2002, 05:34 PM

when the uv first came out ,you couldn't find one in my town.i could only see the in mags, and i wanted one so bad!!!!!!it took me till 98' before i got one and i couldn't belive that i finally had one.even today if i go to the music store or where ever and i have my uv with me (its a multi-color one to)you should see the reactions it STILL gets 12 years later!!its fun to watch people go crazy over this guitar.even my 13 year old brother loves it he loves to show it off to his friends (all of who have freaked out when they first seen it).as far as i can find out this is the only UV77MC that is in the province maybe even in atlantic canada (thats what i have benn told anyway)

i still get all shaky when i pick it up , must be love or something eh?
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-22-2002, 06:57 PM

Steve Vai was featured in the March 1990 issue of Guitar World if memory serves me right. The poster in it was a blown-up cover of Passion and Warfare. My best friend and I thought the cover was the coolest-looking thing in the world since we thought Vai was god. Then one day, he counted the tuners and found an extra one and we both got super-duper excited speculating if that's gonna be a production model. We soon found it in an Ibanez catalog and wanted it so much!! I still don't have one almost 13 years later.
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-23-2002, 11:49 AM

When the UVs first came out, it seemed like you could have any color you wanted, as long as it was black. Being a huge Vai fan, I waited non-patiently and called the two biggest Ibanez dealers in Houston at the time, Evans Music City and TME at least once a week waiting on the MCs to show up. My bass player called me from the counter at Evans one fine day, when he was up there making a payment on his SoundGear bass, and said they had just un-boxed their first MC. It was also the only one sent to them. I talked to the salesman on the phone and bought it sight unseen.

A few days later, TME got a couple of them and called me. I had to decline, but went by to see what they had. The swirls were much nicer than mine, in hindsight. But at the time, nothing could compare to that first swirl. It was an ATD, too. Lots of pink in that one, and a bunch of white, too. Very strange swirl, that one. Overall, I really enjoyed it. Lost it in a divorce, and did not have another until I bought one from Rich on the 15th of last month. Once again, say what you want but as far as I'm concerned, it is the nicest swirl out there. I now have every 7-string except for the UV7BK'97 which keeps eluding me, and am as happy now as I was when I was 23, and had my first one.
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-23-2002, 12:09 PM

On the subject of what Spacenuke is talking about, I remember Guitar for the Practicing Musician Magazine having a combination Passion and Warfare and Ibanez ad that lasted for three months.

On the first month all you could see was the top part of the album cover, Steve's face, etc. The next month you saw Steve's boots in the pits of Hell. And finally, on the third month, you saw that awesome swirl. Lots of folks I knew were cutting them out and making one huge poster out of it. Really quite a marketing scheme.
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-23-2002, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil01ws6
On the subject of what Spacenuke is talking about, I remember Guitar for the Practicing Musician Magazine having a combination Passion and Warfare and Ibanez ad that lasted for three months.

On the first month all you could see was the top part of the album cover, Steve's face, etc. The next month you saw Steve's boots in the pits of Hell. And finally, on the third month, you saw that awesome swirl. Lots of folks I knew were cutting them out and making one huge poster out of it. Really quite a marketing scheme.
you're right! Guitar World had the same ad! i forgot it was a 3-part poster. it's been almost 13 years after all...
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-23-2002, 01:23 PM

and I had all 3 pieces all together

wish I still did LOL

Tags
electric guitar , guitar mag , guitar players , ibanez catalog , ibanez dealer , music store , production model , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

Ibanez s320 opinions?
opinions on duncan JB?
opinions on duncan JB?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode