When is it time to put away the DY Jem and grow up. - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

When is it time to put away the DY Jem and grow up.

Does it come a time when your too old for a glam guitar? I beginning to wonder if Vai is on the right track toning it down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SdH9...eature=related
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 10:26 AM

Re: When is it time to put away the DY Jem and grow up.

LOL! That is dude is an ibanez endorsee right?
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 10:40 AM
Banned

hey i love the dy and the vdy.there still the best looking jems in my opinion,the 7vwh is a nice looking guitar but its a bit elvis like. yes the dy's are very 1980's but i love the 80's i wouldnt swap my vdy for any other guitar,and would love to play live infront of a big audiance using my vdy.
post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 11:43 AM

I'm in my late 30's and I'm getting younger every day. About two months ago I had a minor surgical procedure, and when I woke up they said "What we were looking at seemed ok, ...but we also took two biopsies, we'll have the results in a week." That was a very long week. The biopsies turned out to be negative for cancer (this is actually the second time in my life that this occurred), and in the process you learn that life is short and that you should enjoy it. Spend the money on your family, spend it on yourself, buy the bright yellow Jem...
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 12:20 PM

never
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 12:22 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

I think it was about in 1992 or so
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 12:23 PM

Never. My first Jem was a DY when I was 20 or 21 and unfortunately I had to sell it to pay the rent. Now I'm 38 and I just got me a VDY and it is not goimg anywhere
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 12:41 PM

Reviews: 21

I think this is a question of personal choice. People literally voice their surprise (or visual discomfort!) at the sight of my roadflare RG550. Even though I have more traditional-colored RGs, I don't plan on getting rid of the RF anytime soon.
Other might have felt long ago that it was right for them to leave behind neon guitars. Or maybe they leave their respective brand (Ibanez, Jackson, ESP, etc) and go to the old Fender Strat. Nothing wrong with that if that's what they really want.
The only true crime, IMO, is when people switch because they're going with the crowd or the tastes of the day. I don't believe in that. You should play what feels comfortable in your hands and it should look like a guitar YOU want to own!
Frankly, if someone doesn't like the guitar I play and thinks I should change... they can kiss my ass!
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 01:01 PM

NO EFFIN WAY!!

IF you like your bright guitars and makes you happy along with your classy guitars then thats the best of both worlds.

Who cares what people say....

Stay true to yourself
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 03:59 PM

Reviews: 13

Let it go. The 80s are dead. Get rid of them all. They won't go for much on the market either if you all sell them at the same time. Go on sell them..

Anybody keen to sell? If so PM me I have a buyer

-Wolfram
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 04:23 PM

Reviews: 1

I'll always play them.

When I start worrying about what other people think, it'll be time to hang it up.
Until then................;^)

~j
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 05:11 PM

i miss bright guitars, im sending a guitar away to cottam guitars to get painted pink
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 07:40 PM

Never.

post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 11:52 PM

Reviews: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike570 View Post
I think this is a question of personal choice. People literally voice their surprise (or visual discomfort!) at the sight of my roadflare RG550. Even though I have more traditional-colored RGs, I don't plan on getting rid of the RF anytime soon.
Other might have felt long ago that it was right for them to leave behind neon guitars. Or maybe they leave their respective brand (Ibanez, Jackson, ESP, etc) and go to the old Fender Strat. Nothing wrong with that if that's what they really want.
The only true crime, IMO, is when people switch because they're going with the crowd or the tastes of the day. I don't believe in that. You should play what feels comfortable in your hands and it should look like a guitar YOU want to own!
Frankly, if someone doesn't like the guitar I play and thinks I should change... they can kiss my ass!
Man, I fricken love those roadflare red RG550, the re-issue version look fantastic. In my opinion, it isn't about what your machine looks like, as long as you are comfortable, getting the tone you want and the feel you want, as you say it isn't anyone's right to complain.

Besides, you need a loud guitar so people in large stadiums can see you, right????

So I say it is never time to put away the DY Jem, she's alright in my books (if only I had the funds to buy one!!!!).
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 12:28 AM

Reviews: 25

When is it time that people will grow up and just be man enough to admit they like color......

Tags
vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode