Where are all the UV's? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 9
Where are all the UV's?

Ok, I'm in a thread making mood, and I posted this on ss.org and got quite an interesting response, lol.

I've been looking for one of the original Universes for over a month now, and though I have had 2 or 3 responses, they've all been rather reluctant or (unfortunately) not quite what I'm looking for.

I swear buying the original UV7's never used to be quite this hard, I at least expected to be close to picking one up by now, particularly as musical gear starts to move a lot more around this time of year.

Anyone any thoughts? Seriously!

Before anyone mentions Rich, I'm looking for one that's not in such good condition, lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 01:41 PM

Reviews: 21
Re: Where are all the UV's?

My bet is people who have them don't want to get rid of them cheap. And in today's world "inexpensive" is the name of the game. If I had a UV I might hold on to it in hopes of getting more money for it when things improve.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 04:12 PM

I still see a quite a few of used UV's for sale for decent prices.

Are you being realistic what price they are going for?

If you are looking for a beat up green dot for $ 500,- then you might want to do a reality check or wait for that "dream buy".
post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

Lol, not being funny dude but if you can find a bk for sale I'll eat my hat. Money's not an issue but I'm aiming to spend under $1200, less if possible cos I like working on them.

They just aren't around :-S
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 04:38 PM

There's a 7BK on the Bay ( 1800 i believe), Rich has a few also. At SS.org there are a few white ones for sale.

Just wait a little while if the budget is 1200 dollars. I'm sure something will pop up.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 04:55 PM

Reviews: 11

i have no idea where to get one right now but they always pop up on the vast world of the internet, but just for the fun of it, ill answer the threat title. All the UV's are:
OOPS, i read the thread title wrong the 1st time around but i really dont want to delete all this (i typed this after i named all the universes) so yea......pretend the bottom doesnt exist

1990-93 UV77MC (the swirl)
1990-93 UV7PWH (the white one, im on a quest to get one, FLOBANEZ has 2)
1990-96 UV7BK (black with green dots)
1991-92 UV777GR (green with maple fretboard) no new universes until......
1997-97 UV7BK (black with white/silver dots) (the boring universe)
1998-10 UV777BK (black with mirror p/g and pyramid graphic on body)
2010-10 UV77RE (re-issue if the UV77MC, known as the $6000ish one)

thats just production models. im sure Vai had a few that he wanted ibanez to make just for him
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 05:17 PM

LOL, I thought it said what are all the UV's at first too.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 05:32 PM

There are always UV7BKs (green dot) on craigslist in the states for around $1000. Maybe it's just in the U.K. that you are having a hard time....
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 05:39 PM

Reviews: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeminizer View Post
LOL, I thought it said what are all the UV's at first too.
at least im not alone hahaha
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

Lol, it's less about me having a hard time finding one (though that is really annoying!) and more that I've been floating around the guitar industry for a couple for years and UV7BK's (like FP's and DY's) used to be one of the original Vai Ibanezes that, if you decided you wanted one, a bit of searching and time and you'd have a fair choice of different conditions and prices to make an informed purchase.

I genuinely believe that there are fewer BK's and for that matter early UV's in general floating around the used market. People seem to be holding on to them.

This wasn't supposed to come off as a frustrated 'I want a dirt cheap UV and nobody will sell me one' thread, lol.

And that UV7BK on **** USA, starting at $1800 with a BIN of $2400 and he posts one picture and a line of text? :-S
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 05:51 PM

Mine's only open to deals within the US. (long story, got burned on a Canadian sale, brother got burned big time on a UK sale)

It's a player grade at best. Serial #91xxxx, Original Edge 7 trem. I would love it if I could find a JPM for this. Nothing mint, played condition P1 or P2.

I polished the body with Meguiar's, which did wonders to brighten it up. New decal on headstock, cleaned the trem as best I could, but the bass side is heavily pimpled, and there's still a little gunk wedged deep in the little hard to reach areas. One of the previous owners gigged it heavily, and just put it away for a long time, so the sweat & marlboro mung did their damage. Case is original Ibanez. It still needs a black rear trem cover, current one is a pearloid color.

Pickguard and truss cover are also new, but aftermarket, not Ibanez. Pickups are Blaze in the neck & middle, bridge is a D-Activator 7.

Again, I would rather trade it, than sell it.
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

oh, if anyone happens to come across a BK on craigslist or something and it's not a load of trouble, would anybody mind PMing me? Searching Craiglist outside of the UK can take forever, and I am doing it myself - I'm not asking everyone to go on a hunt on my behalf, but if anyone DES stroll across one, maybe post it here?

I dunno, I'm going on a bit. I really thought I'd have one by now...
Separate issue, though.
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 07:58 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fun111 View Post

And that UV7BK on **** USA, starting at $1800 with a BIN of $2400 and he posts one picture and a line of text? :-S
He called me last week trying to sell it to me. He went on and on about how he's a big studio in TN and more Gold records are made there than anywhere, like I cared. Telling me about how mint it was and had been in the case for 10 years, which I could care less, because that just means there were 9 years it was not in a case!!! Oh course when pressed all of a sudden "well, of course it's got a few dings here and there", and he wants $2500 for it. I don't doubt under critical inspection there would be plenty to find, that's generally the case with these 1 line descriptions, like it's your responsibility to ask him 50 questions, and then trust the answers are right. BTW when he listed it it was $2500 and $2000.
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 08:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
He called me last week trying to sell it to me. He went on and on about how he's a big studio in TN and more Gold records are made there than anywhere, like I cared. Telling me about how mint it was and had been in the case for 10 years, which I could care less, because that just means there were 9 years it was not in a case!!! Oh course when pressed all of a sudden "well, of course it's got a few dings here and there", and he wants $2500 for it. I don't doubt under critical inspection there would be plenty to find, that's generally the case with these 1 line descriptions, like it's your responsibility to ask him 50 questions, and then trust the answers are right. BTW when he listed it it was $2500 and $2000.
It wasn't just me then...

I thought I already posted this but apparently not.

Someone got back to me this evening who I got in touch with a while back. We've agreed a price and, pending a couple more pic's, we should complete later this week. Woo!
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 08:03 PM
Vendor

You did in your classified

Tags
ibanez , universe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

pod xt pro forums
jem forums
gak.co.uk forums
bad cat amp forums

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode