Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Where can I find a Fretless Neck for a JEM ?

4K views 20 replies 17 participants last post by  JamesTMW 
#1 ·
Hi, everything is in the title !!!

Thanks for your helps :roll:

#3 ·
Converting a neck to fretless isnt too hard. Its just a case of removing the frets using a pair of fret pullers, and inlaying small strips of wood where the frets once were (either a contrast, or a wood that matches your fretboard)
-better shred than dead-ANDY

#6 ·
make sure there are 'dummy' fret markers, or your playing will be way off all the time. dummy fret markers will give you the sound of a fretless, with the familiarities of a regular guitar. Steve has dummy markers on the triple neck fretless.

I was waiting to see how long it'd take after the g3 video for someone to start inquiring about those :) hehe. best of luck :)

#10 ·
anuj said:
davester - not true - trust your ears :) you've never played fretless bass?

~A
Bass and guitar are two totally different things.
Do you realize just how hard bending notes and playing lead would be on a fretless guitar? It'd be damn near impossible, especially since your playing has to be ABSOLUTELY precise, otherwise it sounds like CRAP.

#15 ·
Ravager said:
Do you realize just how hard bending notes and playing lead would be on a fretless guitar? It'd be damn near impossible, especially since your playing has to be ABSOLUTELY precise, otherwise it sounds like CRAP.
Listen to some of Ron Thal's music. He playes a Vigier Surfretter, tapping and fast runs smooth as warm butter... It's possible.

Euph

#18 ·
dex said:
OMG was that James (aka Geetarfreek) from Ten Men Wide?
Who was he dueling with? 8O
It was. Absolutely insane guitarist - especially considering he was as drunk as a lord at the time... and I think he was playing with Bob Savage, who I'd not heard of before, but who was really rather good. I'd been put off a lot of fast guitar playing, but Mr Savage was very, very melody based in his playing.

#21 ·
Hey, dex has kindly pointed me in the direction ofthis thread. So I thought i'd pop in and say hi!

As someone previously said, the key to the fretless is no bending. You have to change your vibrato and approach to certain licks in order to pull it off successfully. Chords also prove a problem as you have to place your fingers exactly where the frets would be to intonate the chord properly.

The Vigier Excalibur Surfretter is the best fretless available. I'm aware that Fernandes also do a line in fretless models that can be purchased through http://www.fretlessguitar.com

Thanks for the compliments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.