where do you guys buy parts for your Jems? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-15-2009, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

where do you guys buy parts for your Jems?

Okay, I dig Jems, I DON'T dig the price. I've built a few basses, I know how to construct a guitar from parts. My question is, where the HECK do you guys get your parts? I can find the occasional finished Jem body on the Bay, thats about it. Ive never seen a Jem neck.. any input is incredibly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-15-2009, 04:36 PM

Re: where do you guys buy parts for your Jems?

Custom makers, there is ETguitars, Chris Woods, Sims, etc.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-15-2009, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

Okay, another guitar-making question. what prime/paint/clear do you use? Just curious, Ive yet to get that "factory finish."
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-15-2009, 05:16 PM
Vendor

If you want real Ibanez parts you'll end up paying more to assemble a guitar than you will to just buy one. If you don't care about getting much less quality aftermarket parts from bootleg sources, then you can build one cheaper, but it'll never be a JEM.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-15-2009, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

And the paint question?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-15-2009, 10:43 PM

easy, get an RG and start drilling.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-16-2009, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
If you want real Ibanez parts you'll end up paying more to assemble a guitar than you will to just buy one. If you don't care about getting much less quality aftermarket parts from bootleg sources, then you can build one cheaper, but it'll never be a JEM.
it will be a JEM but not a Ibanez (just like there are Stratos no Fender or Les Pauls no Gilbsons)
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-16-2009, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniJem View Post
it will be a JEM but not a Ibanez (just like there are Stratos no Fender or Les Pauls no Gilbsons)
You say that as if Rich (and I, for that matter) would agree with a Strat-style guitar that's not a Fender is still a Stratocaster or that a Les Paul that's not a Gibson is still a Les Paul, which obviously would not be the case. Most people refer to knock-offs by the trademarked model name of the guitar they resemble, which is fine, but it doesn't mean that the copy is equivalent to the real deal.

Besides, what Rich likely meant was that the quality and/or playability of the instrument will not be up to expectations, which somewhat defeats the purpose of wanting a Jem in the first place.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-16-2009, 10:24 AM

Just save your money and buy a Jem. It's not just about owning a brand name, it's just a damn fine instrument to play. You can get a Jem for cheap if you keep your eye out. My rootbeer sold on 3bay for $650 (thank god the guy never paid), so just be patient and keep your eye out for a good deal. Don't ask for my rootbeer though, it's back in the collection until the economy turns around
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-16-2009, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem20thlover View Post
Just save your money and buy a Jem. It's not just about owning a brand name, it's just a damn fine instrument to play. You can get a Jem for cheap if you keep your eye out.
This is, of course, another great point that's often overlooked. A used instrument that's been even reasonably well taken care of should play at least as well as a brand new one, is completely authentic, and will probably save you a bundle of money. In particular, if you're interested in a 7VWH, they really haven't changed all that much since they were introduced and there are a ton of them out there at any given time.

The biggest problem to watch out for with online auctions of course is scammers of various types, but it's really pretty easy to avoid these if you're smart. Firstly, watch for sellers with a decent amount of positive feedback, should be 100% positive or very near to that if they have anything less than a hundred ratings. If only a couple of reviews, or more than a few negatives, tread lightly. Fake Jems are another issue, but the vast majority of them are very easy to spot, and the experts on Jemsite will be able to pick out the rest very quickly.

There will always be an inherent minor risk in dealing with the famous auction site, but it's worth it as you can get some great deals on fine instruments.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-16-2009, 11:22 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by djohns74 View Post
You say that as if Rich (and I, for that matter) would agree with a Strat-style guitar that's not a Fender is still a Stratocaster or that a Les Paul that's not a Gibson is still a Les Paul, which obviously would not be the case. Most people refer to knock-offs by the trademarked model name of the guitar they resemble, which is fine, but it doesn't mean that the copy is equivalent to the real deal.

Besides, what Rich likely meant was that the quality and/or playability of the instrument will not be up to expectations, which somewhat defeats the purpose of wanting a Jem in the first place.
Exactly, and nope, I cannot call these homebrews "JEM's" by any stretch. Just because something looks like a duck, doesn't mean it is
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 05:17 AM

everyone has their point of view ...
for me, any guitar with a 'Jem' shape is a JEM. regardless of the quality of the instrument: fake, a crappy guitar, or with original parts, or whatever it is.... but is a JEM.
of course, a good option is buy an Ibanez JEM; it will be a REAL JEM.
but sure there are excellent luthiers who build guitar parts even better than the originals, and most important thing... with spec you want. and the guitar will be a JEM. no Ibanez, but JEM.

its only my opinion (in my bad english)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode