Where to get old school RG/Jem colors done? (desert yellow!) - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2006, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

Where to get old school RG/Jem colors done? (desert yellow!)

You guys may have seen my 87 RG550 project threads, but now, Ive changed my mind. After stripping off the paint and seeing that natural basswood blows nads, I got another idea after talkin to a friend. Lets review what I was gonna do for old times sake...
Strip off paint
Gold edge
Cream Evos, HS2
New Vol, Tone, 5way, output jack
New pickguard (I broke mine)
I think that sums her up...
But now, new idea!!
Paint her DESERT YELLOW!!
Apply a glow in the dark clear coat (YES!! but where can I get these paint jobs done??)
Some multicolored Evos and HS2 (mostly red and green and pink)
Still, new Vol, Tone, 5way, and output jack, but new knobs and switch tip (red, green, pink)
Paint the bridge cavity ROAD FLARE RED!!
New pickguard still.......classic black/white/black
Maybe keep my oldschool black edge? Shes a bit oxidized, so a new setup could be in order. Maybe a chrome one. But nonetheless, a new one...black would look best though.
So I need some help on where to get the best prices and the best quality for these paintjobs, knobs and switch tip, pickup covers, pickguard.....etc. I really appreciate the help guys thanks!!
smitty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2006, 07:38 PM

Re: Where to get old school RG/Jem colors done? (desert yellow!)

Im not so experienced with that kind of stuff.. but as far as i know you cant go wrong with Sims Custom Shop Paint Jobs.. The other parts can be purchased for cheap on ****! As for your edge.. you can power coat it or sent it to be chromed..

Cheers
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2006, 07:43 PM

Sims is one of the only shops still accepting work right now, and its top notch from what we have seen..
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2006, 09:35 PM

+1 on Sims Custom Shop. You can also get knobs and such on fleabay like mentioned or somewhere like universaljems.com or allparts.com.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2006, 10:44 PM

well, you are ****. DON'T GO GOLD or i'll steal your dads car... his nice one... you know.. that special edition one sitting in you garage.

i'm sure you can find some shops around her man. call up IRC and see what they can tell you. they have and know some good luthiers who i'm sure could get you pointed in the correct direction for a nice paint job. they are the ones who put in new speakers and tubes in my 212 vtx classic.

now make money and buy my uv.. otherwise i'm going to not want to sell it cause since i restrung it.. i'm actually playing it.

but yeah, i really think if you are going to go with the paint we were talking about earlier.. you should go with black hardware. get a new bridge in black if the wear on it is bother you that much.

HEY!!! you can't take my glow in the dark clear coat!!!! that was my genious idea!!!!!!!!! i'll paint my carvin like that lol

but yes, call IRC, paint her yellow, if you paint the cavity red then i wouldn't go with pink pickups. i think it'd look best with just black pickups and maybe a few red.

good luck with the project man!! you have to let me play her when she is finished ps. i hate to say it, but I TOLD YOU SO!!!! boo on gold!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2006, 11:33 PM
Dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanezrg520kid View Post
well, you are ****. DON'T GO GOLD
+1.

Very ****.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2006, 11:35 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

^^ post appropriately people or you won't be posting at all ...glen
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-02-2006, 01:27 AM

Check out www.eastwood.com look for House of Kolor products
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-02-2006, 04:01 AM
Banned

I have all the House of Kolors colors in stock, and have used them together in differnt quantities to come up with a dead on Lochness Green, Shocking Pink, Road Flair Red and Desrt Yellow, the house of kolor colors aren't dead on to the Ibanez colors if you use the stuff strait out of the can, the Ibanez colors are a little different. I also have most colored knobs & switch tips in stock from Neon Orange, Green, Pink, Yellow, Green, etc....
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-02-2006, 06:16 AM

I've never seen glow in the dark clear. Patrick maybe you can fill us in?
Sounds like a cool concept as long as it doesn't make the paint look cloudy in the daylight.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-02-2006, 10:08 AM

I saw in the other thread that you originally named this RG "Eleanor", so why don't you go for a two tone titanium & black paintjob?
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-02-2006, 10:08 AM
Banned

Theres not glow in the dark clear, rather a glow in the dark powder (Kinda like pearl) that you mix into the clear....to be totally honest with you your not suppose to mix ANYTHING into clear other than hardner and reducer.....just think about it like this.....ever think about what would happen if you put the glow in the dark powder into the clear and you got a run???? Or a piece of trash u needed to pick out, etc.....Even if you sanded the run smooth you would still have ran the glow in the dark powder pigment so basically you would see the run differently than the rest of the guitar in the dark. What you want to do, and suppose to do (As stated in the P Sheets (Spraying & Mixing Instructions)) is put the glow in the dark powder into a clear base coat, or what you would call an "Intercoat" clear.....I think this is called KC-100 in House of Kolors line, but don't quote me on that (I use PPG's, which is called D895) its not clear coat, its base coat without any pigment in it.....its also called base maker, it dries in about 5-15 mins and goes on like a base coat, this is what u put pearl on with, or flakes, and glow in the dark pigment.....its also whats used to make Base Coats, its the Binder that chemically holds the pigments and resins all together. Once it has dried THEN you would put your clear coat on. Adding things into clear coat, such as pearl, glow in the dark concentrate, etc also will dull the clear slighty b/c ur adding a pigment to something that has no pigment, thats why when Intercoat clear, i.e basemaker or binder is added to a base coat the base coat will dry to a flat dull finish rather than a shiny one....ever wonder why it does that.....its b/c the Binder dulls it, so you don't want to add stuff like that to clear coat unless u want it to be dulled, the more u put the duller it gets.

The glow in the dark stuff is pretty cool, but it doesn't glow for that long unless its subjected to light regularly. It is visible in the day light, it looks like a pale yellow in the day light, kinda like the luminous markers on your watch.....so in a way that kind of stinks if you don't want to see them in the day, but they also make it in a pale blue which glows blue, a pale pink which glows kinda reddish and a few other colors, basically they look like pastel colors in the daylight, but u wouldn't be able to tell that unless u put it over white..........I've had some before, its pretty neat, I did a pearl white guitar then taped up some ghost flames and then sprayed a coat over the flames....you couldn't see the flames during the day AT ALL b/c I just dusted on one light coat, but they would appear in the dark, it was pretty cool. The stuff is pretty expensive tho, last time I checked it was around $80 for like 4 ounces, a little bit goes a long way tho.

Last edited by PatrickSimsCustomShopUSA; 09-02-2006 at 10:27 AM.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-02-2006, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviltwin View Post
I saw in the other thread that you originally named this RG "Eleanor", so why don't you go for a two tone titanium & black paintjob?
Yeah, thats her name, sort of a long story. Speaking of that, I now have another idea....either the whole desert yellow scheme, or just a plain black with white knobs and pickups and cosmo or black hardware....Im not sure. The guitar would be totally different (except for sound of course) but Im really not sure. Thanks a bunch though guys youre all really a big help. Ive got a huge list of good sites to check out, though Sims sounds the best right now.
And yeah Cameron, Im gonna try and buy your UV and put Eleanor on hold for a while, and then finish her when Ive got the cash. I just want it all planned out now. I love how you havent been on here for 2 years or something and then you just pop up on one of my threads lol.
Either way, shes gonna be perty.
smitty
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-02-2006, 12:14 PM

haha yeah man. i got bored of the internet so i decided to come back here! plus.. i really really really would like a BFP, so i had to drool at pics of them on here.

from guitars i've seen with cosmo hardware.. it seems to look best with dark transparents paint jobs. i.e. my rg520 i just don't know if i see it flowing well if you put in cream pickups. if i were going to go for cream i'd prolly just go for black, but if it was going to be all black pickups... you could def. pull of the cosmo.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-02-2006, 12:50 PM

I find the current Ibanez stock finishes uninspiring, and I've unfortunatley parted ways with all the wacky colored guitars I've owned over the years, so I've got a guitar with Sims Customs right now - an RG being painted Loch Ness Green.

Tags
black pickups , clear coat , cosmo hardware , custom shop , loch ness green , pickup cover , road flare red , sims custom , sims custom shop

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode