Where was this UV7BK hiding?!?!? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Ibanez endorsed

Where was this UV7BK hiding?!?!?

I get a call while on the last tour from a friend who tells me there is a pawn shop with a UV7BK for sale for a RIDICULOUS price (and I mean low not high). I think "well its gotta be beat to crap right?" but I call the pawn shop and the guy went over it on the phone with me and there are no dings or scratches aside from normal polishing and whatnot anywhere on the guitar. I tell him to put it on hold for me and when I flew back in I went right there and saw it and GRABBED it. I took it all apart and scrubbed every square inch of it. I used Rich's primer (thanks Rich) and scrubbed the fretboard down then re-oiled it. Then I did a fretshine. There is MAYBE 5 to 10% fretwear on it IF that. The neck looks BRAND NEW and after scrubbing the body and waxing it, the friggin guitar looks BRAND new. The original green painted knobs have NO wear on them. It even came in a pink lined Ibanez case which of course had the center latch messed up. THANK GOD this guy was thinking though and did not try to pry the latch open but instead unbolted the top part from the case while leaving the latch still locked in the lock. Using Rich's "How to pick a UV case's lock" page I got the lock opened (who the hell sets the serial number to 677...?) and re-bolted the latch back on the case so now it works perfectly and the combo is set to 000.

Ok now for the horror.... while putting the trem back on the bottom right hand side of the "U" that holds the knife edge cracked and broke off. Now it works just fine but who knows for how long... THEN I plug it in and put it on a lead patch and the bridge pickup starts squeeling (which means its coming unwound). So I am thinking..... ok I got this guitar for a KILLER price but now I need a new trem and a new lead pickup... THIS SUCKS!!!! So later that day I am talking to my A/R guy from Dimarzio and I tell him whats up and he said "just send the pickup back in and we will re-pot it for ya. If that does not fix it when we test it then we will just send ya a new green Blaze II pickup. I said SWEET! Then I got to thinking and part of my endorsement contract with Ibanez is that they will replace any broken or defective parts for free. So I call my A/R guy and say "Hey man you would not happen to have any 7 string Edge trems in Cosmo color hangin around there would ya?" And he said..... "Why yes we do! We keep a stock of those older parts for our artists that have older guitars. I told him what happened and he said I will send you a brand new one tomorrow. I JUST got it in the mail today! So now.... with the new trem going on it... this guitar is going to look like it just came off the friggin rack brand new at a store!!! What a friggin score!!!

According to the serial number it is the 437th one made in 1990.

I love it!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 10:44 PM

Re: Where was this UV7BK hiding?!?!?

Lucky

post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 10:49 PM

Reviews: 10
Cool Re: Where was this UV7BK hiding?!?!?

^^^^Absolutely agreed^^^^Post pics!!!!
post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
Ibanez endorsed

lol I WILL post pics but I want to get the new bridge on first. Once I get the pickup back from Dimarzio I am taking it to my luthier to have him put it back together with the new bridge and set the intonation. I friggin HATE setting intonation on guitars with trems......
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 10:51 PM

Great story, and that my friends is what all that practicing gets you!

Congrats Rikk!
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-29-2008, 01:00 AM

Rikk, you've been on here as long as anyone and you're still saying "Blaze II"?

Glad you got a good deal my friend, play the frets off her!

jim
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-29-2008, 01:05 AM Thread Starter
Ibanez endorsed

lol Yeah sorry. I was looking at the spec sheet on the Jemsite and it says Blaze II and it stuck in my head. lol
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-29-2008, 01:35 AM

nice score!!

pics please!
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 12:37 AM Thread Starter
Ibanez endorsed

Ok FINALLY got the pickup back from Dimarzio and had it re-potted and also put the new replacement bridge from Ibanez. This thing just looks brand fricken new. Only thing on this guitar that does not look new are the screws in the pickgaurd and the nut bolts on the headstock (the flash made the logo look a little faded but its not at all).

post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 01:56 AM

Holly mother of jesus, that is amazing! Thank the guy that was dumb enough to hock it. Let this be a lesson! Pawn shops are briliant for guitars (Mine had a RG prestige in for $550 sucks I didnt have the cash!)
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 04:14 AM

Very nice! Ive picked up a real cheap rg2570 prestige mint from a pawn shop once. You always dream of walking into a pawn shop and seeing an awesome axe there...
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 06:18 AM

Go on then, how cheap?
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 10:39 AM

Reviews: 13

Luv that green on black UVs !!!
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 10:59 AM

Reviews: 18

Nice find Rikk, congrats!

So how much was it?

Jimmy
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 11:02 AM

Sweet find

Tags
bridge pickup , edge trem , edge trems

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode