Ibanez JEM Forum banner
2K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  screamndemon69 
#1 ·
I want a a UV custom, i have tried sending a email to EKG guitar and there seems to be somthing wrong with there email address..I want something like this:

Basswood body 7-string UV cut for hum - hum , front mount electronics,black scatch plate,AANJ,tiger claw and a oiled finsh.
edge7 lo pro/in black
Dimazio blaze neck in the neck and a blaze bridge in the bridge
neck with ebony fret board no inlay..
and a tilt back head stock the same as a ibanez
I am really wanting a neck that is really close in feel to my other UV..24 frets
black gotoh tuners

3 way selector/ volume / tone

Where do you guy's think i should go..
Thanks Shep

#4 ·
yeah.. I it's a pretty pastey looking wood isn't it.. I really like the netrual tone of basswood.I was also thinking adler body..that would look better to..

I think the closest guitar you can get to what i want would be a UV.. thats the only reasone why i said that..

#6 · (Edited)
what i would like to know is why all the JEM and UV snobs are so critical of other peoples descriptions of their "custom" JEMS and UVs? take Shep's description.... sounds alot like a UV to me, but with a few twists. i have seen many JEMS and UVs that were originally production models and then were customized with different pickguards, paint jobs other than production colors, and pickups. plus, considering how many "custom" JEMS i have seen on here that are pretty far from being a JEM (yet you still call 'em JEMS) i'd say you guys are just being picky and more than a little bit snobbish. i have seen a whole s**tload of "JEMS" on here with incredible bodies, necks, and paint jobs greated by EKG, ATD, Herc Fede, Sims, and other aftermarket suppliers that have blown my mind!! they aren't made by Ibanez so does that mean they are still JEMS or should we say they are "JEM-lites" or "almost JEMS"? if the way Shep describes his "custom" guitar is as a UV and it isn't all that different from a production UV then what's the problem? remember, you still call 'em JEMS even if the body or neck is made by an aftermaket supplier. if Steve Vai wanted that same guitar as a non-production custom model you would still call it a UV and most of you would be falling all over yourselves to get one.

i apologize if i am being overly critical. to clarify- i AM NOT saying the people who posted replies before me are snobs in any way, shape, or form. it's just that reading Shep's post about his "custom" and then reading the other posters replies made me think of quite a few posts and replies i have seen on here that were from JEM and UV snobs just totally bashing other peoples guitars.

#8 · (Edited)
and then reading the other posters replies made me think of quite a few posts and replies i have seen on here that were from JEM and UV snobs just totally bashing other peoples guitars.
Hmmm....you must be talking about a different forum/site???

For the most part people here don't bash other guitars at all. Actually quite the OPPOSITE!

And as far as customs go, you are missing the whole idea:roll:

Shep - check out Martin Sims:) He'll probably do about whatever you want;)

#11 ·
I usually call my Jem customs, "Jem-like" or "Jem-style" since they are all a little different than a standard Jem in features. That is why I wanted them. If I want something with exactly the same features as a Jem, I would just buy another Jem.

You could spend the time and money on an RG and get very close to a Jem standard and still save some cash, knowing this you might be able to do something similar with an existing RG 7 string to have your custom UV-style guitar. Find a MIJ 7 string with a Lo Pro and start modifying it a little at a time until you end up with exactly what you are lookin for. Sometimes while going thru a process like that you end up with something you like MORE that isn't what you were trying to shoot for in the first place. I've had that happen a few times. Just a thought.

BTW - you listed this thread as a "custom Jem" thread but pulled a bait and switch by talking about a UV inspired guitar. Just saying.... ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.