White Lady looking for her Sister - Which 6 strings sister f - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-16-2001, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

White Lady looking for her Sister - Which 6 strings sister f

:frog:

Situation at the moment :

I own two signature models :
- UV7PWH
- JEM 90 HAM

I like them both, but : although I really want to keep my 90, for it's playability, look and "uniqueness", the PWH is by far my favourite, cause :
- I really love its tone
- Rosewood is more "stable" (ebony on the 90, as a dense wood with a very thin neck is very sensitive to temperature variations (maybe that's why Vai seems to prefer rosewood… : ebony fretboards need perpetual tunings (trussrod adjustment) to keep the low action we all like, regardless of the temperature)
- The PWH neck is really a highway to shred ! (even with the .09-.46 + .56 that I use)
- The PWH has this "90's vibe" (for me it's the "Vai vibe" ) that I don't find on the lately released models.

Question to my friends Jemsiters :
Which Jem to buy ??? (in order to find all the features I like on the PWH, but with 6 strings.)

In sight : a 777 DY, and a 777VBK (AANJ is not a problem)
To all of you who know all those different babes, which one would you recommend ? If I find a 6 strings that gives me all my PWH gives, I'll have find my Graal ! *

Thanks for your help and advices !!! (and no, I can't afford buying both )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-16-2001, 11:04 AM
rvj

White Lady looking for her Sister

If you like Rosewood, check out a DBK.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-16-2001, 03:44 PM

I haven't had any of the problems you mentioned with my VWH neck with the ebony board. *Maybe it's because the JEM profile is a little bigger? *both of my acoustics have mahogany necks with ebony boards too and never a problem. *
Personally, if you like the JEM, then I wouldn't play a DBK, but, you should try it out cuz you never know. *But I can't stand that neck profile, it is so thin and yucky to me. *I would say if you like rosewood, that kind of rules out the DY, so the VBK would be the way to go, they are very similar guitars to begin with minus the fretboard and color. *I think I would go with the VBK if you're looking for a good match to your PWH just because it's totally the opposite guitar. *White/Black, Pyramids/vines, etc etc. *
Anyway, good luck!!!!

Jeremy
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-16-2001, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

Jeremy and rvj, thanks for your advices. As stated in my first post, I really like the 90's vibe that's in my PWH, maybe the DBK is too "2000's" to give me the same feeling.

Jeremy, you both know rosewood and maple (and for me, preferring rosewood doesn't exclude maple !!!). Do you have the same feeling on your UV7BK as on your DY or SK ? I know that somewhere else you said that your UV7BK is your fav player. I think we've got the same perception of those damn old good UV's. Is one of your maple neck babies giving you the same thrill ?
As for the differences / complementarities between the PWH and *the VBK : good point, just like Yin and Yang. Thanks to make me aware of it !!!

I'll keep you informed of *the way things happen, since they'll probably happen before the end of this first century's year… Anyway, still waiting for your opinions !!!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-16-2001, 06:41 PM

I don't really care for the maple as much on my DY and SK. *but I think it has to do with that fret profile as well, remember, the older Jems have different frets than the new jems and any of the UV's. * I think the JEM7VBK is not a "2000" guitar though, it was one of the original Jems, and to me, with the flourescent vine, it still has that early 90's vibe. *I would really have to say play them both though, I don't like the old Jems as much as my VWH, but then, I don't like my 2000 UV as much as my 2 older UV's. *Soon I should be trading my UV777BK for a UV777GR if everything works out, so I'll let you know what I think of the maple on that, though it will likely be after Christmas.

Good luck!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-17-2001, 08:59 AM

if you like thinner necks, the 7dbk is perfect. *there are some necks that claim to be thinner on jems but aren't really. *the 7dbk is one of them with a thin neck. *as someone mentioned, they are "yucky." *i personally only like the jems for the thin neck on the 7dbk or the 7vdy for example. *if you like baseball bat necks, then the older jems are for you. *not as basebally batty as gibson...AHHHHH!!!! *how can anyone play those? *anyway, good luck.

i never had a problem with my ebony boards either. *do you live in the jungle? *high humidity can affect that stuff. :biggrin:
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-17-2001, 10:02 AM

I'd recommend a 77FP.

There's lots of them out there, they got the whohaa factor, they got the coolness factor of Vai's curtains and not least it's an excellent guitar.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-17-2001, 04:34 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your answers !

Jeremy, good point on the frets. I really think they have a major input in the way you feel a neck. Are they the same on the 7PWH and on the 777s ? (I know I should have a look somewhere else in the site, but I'm too fuç£in# lazy tonight !!!)

Shredmaster : good point too : my room is quite humid, and though I'm not living in the jungle, I think it has some big input on this neck's behaviour. But don't worry, I'm really in love with my 90, and the beauty of the ebony fretboard is really a pleasure for the eyes and fingers. DBK is not my cup of tea, but maybe I shoud give it a try...

SalemB, I know (if I don't mix up every name...) that you too have a 90, and I believe you like it as much as I do. But it's also true that I really dig those good old natural necks, and that for me, a 10 years old guitar has more soul in it than a brand new one... (and I'm less afraid of being a little *"violent" when I play it :biggrin Maybe I should give a try to a FP too :doh: !!!

So, after all your advices (and with my personnal preferences), I'll keep an eye opened on : 777DY, 777VBK, 7DBK, and 77FP... You'll hear the result soon : I'm on holydays tomorrow !!! (ready to cross Europe to grab the right one !!! Hehehe...)
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-17-2001, 05:45 PM

:shoot: :frog:
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-17-2001, 07:12 PM

Quote:
eddie 42 on 4:34 pm on Dec. 17, 2001

Jeremy, good point on the frets. I really think they have a major input in the way you feel a neck. Are they the same on the 7PWH and on the 777s ? (I know I should have a look somewhere else in the site, but I'm too fuç£in# lazy tonight !!!)
The JEM's and the UV's have totally different frets as I'm sure you are aware from your 90 and your PWH. *The 2000 UV has different frets than the older UV's as well, and the JEM7VWH has different frets from the older JEMs. *
Click here for all the fret and neck specs!
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-18-2001, 07:53 AM Thread Starter

Thanks again Jeremy !

I now see that both the VDY and the BFP have the same frets that my PWH : 2 other options :biggrin:

<Out of topic mode> :
Vaidream 77 : is there a problem with me and/or my frog ? (frenchmen are called froggies (frog eaters) by our "kind" english neighbour (J/K), and I use this little frog as a signature). If your emoticons are just a joke, that's fine with me, but if not, some may remind you that agressivity without explanation is not the rule here.
</Out of topic mode>

Tags
ebony board , ebony boards , ebony fretboard , ebony fretboards , maple neck , rod adjustment

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode