Who will build their Jem's after the Competition? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 208 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 07:07 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 11
Who will build their Jem's after the Competition?

Who will build their Jem's after the "Design a Jem Competition" is over? (providing they lost, of course)
There are so many great designs posted by people on here, I am blown away with the quality of what's being created and it'd be a real shame for a lot of these guitars to be nothing more than a concept drawing.

I will definately be building mine and I'll take photo's of the entire process from start to finish so I can post them up in here. Mine will take me a heck of a long time to hand paint but I'm sure I'll get there eventually and I'll love every minute of it.

So one day when you next jump on here in the future, I can show you, in the flesh, THIS..........

also..... remember to post up the pic of the one you want to build as I know some people have designed many, many guitars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 208 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 09:52 AM Thread Starter

Re: Who will build their Jem's after the Competition?

I guess nobody is then.....
post #3 of 208 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 09:54 AM

Reviews: 5

=/ I would, but I need to learn more about guitar building! Granted, this summer I'm working on an experiment with my friend, but once I learn my, I MIGHT try it... but hell, I don't even know how to paint what I've drawn Or how an inlay is made....ahhh
post #4 of 208 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 10:10 AM

Wow Macka amazing looking jem. Mines not much compared to yours but I love it anyway and hope to one day build it.
post #5 of 208 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

NOTICE TO ALL:
There's no way I'll be actually carving the body and making the neck etc..... You can actually buy blank jem bodies, they're all over EvilBay. If I do make mine I might even get a 7 string body to do it on. You can get necks made from one of the advertisers on the top of the page - ET Guitars and there's many many others who make jem necks with the AANJ joint, they too make bodies I'm sure.

I'll just be buying all the pieces and putting it together like a jigsaw puzzle.

Why can't you type E.B.A.Y.?? why is that censored?
post #6 of 208 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 12:48 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

I'm going to build one of my designs, and I'm leaning towards my Blue Hawaiian Print:

post #7 of 208 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 12:51 PM
Banned

Then again, and after looking at this a few more times--I might do the Blue/Green Hawaiian Print Jem:

post #8 of 208 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

wow that's amazing, why haven't you posted this on the Jem Design thread yet?...... go put it up mate, it's a corker.
post #9 of 208 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 01:44 PM
Banned

Which one?

post #10 of 208 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010, 04:55 AM Thread Starter

All of 'em.
post #11 of 208 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010, 05:55 AM

I never entered the contest but i will build this one as soon as i finish school and start making some money again.

post #12 of 208 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010, 05:59 AM
Banned

Ooooooh, an orange Jem! Do it in Carotene Orange!

post #13 of 208 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010, 09:26 AM

Macka, I absolutely love that design! I personally think it's the best design I've seen here. My only knock against you would be that I don't think it's presented as well as some of the entries, which is too bad. I think it would be really sweet if you did the design as a woodcut, with the black areas being the scalloped out parts. Perhaps some sort of inlays for Steve's eyes, the forehead logo and the necklace to add a bit of color...
post #14 of 208 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the nice comments but in my own defense, the competition said to use the template provided and put your design on it, which I did by hand with a thin and thick artline sharpie. I have no talent at using photoshop let alone 3D modelling that some of the other artists have. I just used the template as they asked of me. After seeing the presentation of the other entries, in hindsight, I wish I did embellish it a little and fancify it up but in the end, I believe it's the initial design that matters and with all the entries going in, mine may be like a breath of fresh air with only the guitar and the simple description included for them to have to look at without all the other fluff.

As for color, I specifically didn't want any. I tried to do some variations on it with color but it looked really strange and in the end, the plain black and white with Gold hardware really just pops for me. The wood engraving bit you mentioned sounds great but who and how the heck would i get that done?....... if you have any ideas there I'd definately contemplate it.
post #15 of 208 (permalink) Old 06-08-2010, 04:03 PM

Well, if I were voting I'd definitely say I'd take yours hands down. Hopefully the lack of "flash" in the presentation doesn't cost you.

I'm no artist, but your design immediately struck me as a woodcut. No idea how you'd do that yourself, other than scalloping out the wood by hand?

Tags
design a jem competition , jem , vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode