Why is it.... - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-28-2002, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

Why is it....

....that the Js Ibanez versions I see being sold are all Basswood?..I hate Basswood bodies..What am I missing here?..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-28-2002, 06:33 PM
EKG

They did make the Mahogany JS's some time ago.....TONE!!!

Soon (How soon?), JS replacements will be offered ;-)

I don't know why IBZ doesn't offer another.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-28-2002, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

Does the Guitars Joe uses made of basswood?....If so...why???

It's too nuetral of a tone for me...I prefer Mahogany, which helps me achive the Js tone when I need it...
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-28-2002, 06:45 PM
EKG

Yup...all (or most) of Joe's are basswood, except the JS6 model(s). Even his Chromeboy's are basswood. I think Joe himself said that tone is here (holding up his fingers)
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-28-2002, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

I partly agree with that and I don't...I am much more satisfied using anything but basswood....But then again, I haven't tried every Basswood guitar...........................
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-28-2002, 08:04 PM

tone indeed is 'here' (*points to fingers*) ..
and really, what's wrong with basswood?

~A
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-28-2002, 08:11 PM

It's joe's guitar, he likes basswood - then it's gonna be made out of basswood...
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-28-2002, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by anuj
tone indeed is 'here' (*points to fingers*) ..
and really, what's wrong with basswood?

~A
I don't know why I dislike basswood..But I do know i prefer a heavier, more solid guitar..That goes against most train of thought in the world of guitars..But I'm also a big guy (5'9, 230lbs) and don't mind it as much..Plus heavier woods seem to add sustain IMO...
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-28-2002, 09:23 PM

Well Im an even bigger guy. I like both. I think basswood has a certain harmonic frequency that mahogany isnt capable of. But I use both types so its all apples and oranges.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-28-2002, 10:58 PM
EKG

Basswood is a good wood. Very well balanced for a full sound. Whereas, Alder or Hard Maple will bring out the high end, Mahogany will bring out more of the low end. Basswood is fairly inexpensive, easy to get and easy to work with. A very middle of the road wood. Also, it depends if the pups are mounted directly, using pup rings or mounted to a guard. Many variables.

But, in the end, a signature guitar, such as Satch's, is built to his specs, and he prefers basswood. ;-)
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-29-2002, 04:42 AM

well i like both 2 be honest.

i have a js700 which is mahogany and its very nice (but i need 2 sell it)

but i also have a js1000 which i love sooooo much but because im not camparing the same pickups i cant make 2 much of an educated point.

altho i have played a js6 and it had very very nice tone indeed, but im very very happy with my js1000 so im gona stand by the baswood its very versatile.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-29-2002, 01:12 PM

I've got a JS10th, a Crystal Planet, a JS6 and a JS2000: all made from different materials. OUt of all of them, I like the tone of the JS2000 (basswood) the most. I love the JS6 as well, but the JS2000 can get some great Strat-like tones. The JS6 is great tonally, but much warmer of course. The CP and JS10th are both great playing and sounding guitars as well, but I can get the most variety of tones out of the basswood JS2000. Plus, it's lightweight, which is a nice feature. I think that basswood is definitely a very neutral wood, and therefore responds better to the choice of pickups and the amp & FX that you play it through. The wood itself doesn't really color the tone of the instrument, so, in a way, it's the perfect wood.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-29-2002, 01:31 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
I'm in a very similar position to vaijem777, I've got the JS10th the JS1000 and the JS6. I think the most Satch-like tone comes from the JS10th, but the JS1000 (the basswood one) is the most versatile of the three different models. I find it's a very generic rock guitar and that makes it perfect for sounding like a whole bunch of folks as opposed to something like the JEM7VWH which to my ears always sounds like Vai's guitar.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-02-2002, 03:11 PM

Basswood body is just fine for me... But hey maybe the next time a mahogany body will be applied.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-02-2002, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaijem777
I've got a JS10th, a Crystal Planet, a JS6 and a JS2000: all made from different materials. OUt of all of them, I like the tone of the JS2000 (basswood) the most. I love the JS6 as well, but the JS2000 can get some great Strat-like tones.
One main reason the JS2000 is good tonally is because there is more wood....i.e. there is no trem routing.

Tags
basswood bodies , basswood body , basswood guitar , crystal planet , mahogany body , signature guitar , sounding guitar , strat tone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode