Why aren't jems apreciated as much as they used to be - just - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

Why aren't jems apreciated as much as they used to be - just

Hey in 1990-1994 there were at least 5 jems you could by new. now theres like 3. One is way overprice. a dbk, which dosn't lookt too nice (IMHO) and doesn't play too well either(IMHO) and the only one is the VWH. But that was recently priced higher. And its not one of those jems that is flashy like the GMC. They should reissue all the jems. (except the PMC[IMHO])

J
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 05:39 PM

Why aren't jems apreciated as much as they used to be

I'm sure re-issuing some of the old Jems would ****
lots of people off. *Especially when it comes to the LNG. *

I wish Ibanez would release more new style Jems into the marketplace. *Re-issuing older style Jems such as the DSY or SK might not bring in too many sales because you can buy a good quality used one for more than a new one would cost... big time! *Ibanez has saturated the marketplace with them. *Would you pay $500 more to buy a new DSY vs. a good-excellent used one? *I wouldn't.

I see reasons why not to reissue older Jems/UV's, but as long as they're not collectors/limited editions I really don't care either way. *I'll buy the originals.

Gabe
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 06:07 PM

Reviews: 5

in going back to the topic, I feel the reason JEM's aren't appreciated is two part.

A. *Those who were aware of JEMs in the 80's often associate them with hair metal and shred thus making the guitar ultra-uncool to todays detuned Creed fan

B. *Those who are new to guitar playing are not very aware of who Vai or by entension his JEM is. *In the 80s and early 90s, Steve was very visible through DLR, Whitesnake and the success of Passion and Warfare. *Now though, Steve has not had quite that level of success or notoriety for many years.

These two things likely contribute to the lack of respect the JEM gets.
post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Quote: from jem7vwh on 8:07 pm on Mar. 26, 2001

These two things likely contribute to the lack of respect the JEM gets.
And that's a pitty, because the JEMs are the best guitars I've ever played. Even a Wolfang can't beat it in sound and playability!

And I think another reason for this problem is that many new guitar players think that a RG is the same as a JEM... I knew many kids that had *this thought in mind until I took them to a local store and I said: "Play this thing (it was a 7VWH)! It isn't a RG!"

I'll always love JEMs... I have a modified 555WH that I love and I'm saving to buy a 7VWH. I think I'll only buy JEMs, until some company releases a better guitar!
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 06:59 PM

The whole grunge movement kinda killed of many of the metal guitars but the JEM has managed to struggle through because it is a great guitar.

Many people nowadays picking up the guitar for the first time have never heard of Steve Vai and unfortunately associate JEM's with cheesy metal music.

When I bought my Ibanez my mates laughed at me because they think its purely a metal guitar but *after they have a shot they realised how versitile and playabe it was.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 07:03 PM

oh well. *as long as the JEM sells well enough to not be discontinued, it's fine by me- keeps prices low
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 08:00 PM

I never really considered Jems or RG's to really be metal guitars. *I always thought the weird shaped BC riches, and the Hamers and Jacksons were the more metal guitars. *Probably because the first guy I saw using Ibanez was Satch, and then Vai. *All the metal guys I was into used Jackson or the others.
I just wish that colour wasn't dead. *On Jems or otherwise. *I miss the 80's flourescents and graphics. *The colours of today are so limited and boring. *If I see one more black or grey guitar I'll puke. *There's nothing wrong with them, but it's sad to walk into a music store now and not see any colour.
As far as the Jems not being appreciated, the only comment that gets to me now is, "what's the point of having a handle in a guitar""that's totally lame" *Well, I think the monkey grip is the epitomy of guitar coolness, in fact, everything about the Jem is cool. *I'll never give them up. *I love em to much!!!
Jeremy
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 08:24 PM

Reviews: 30

Let it be known that history has a way of repeating itself. I have had this strange feeling for a long while that the 80's will be coming back. A lot of people who start playing a guitar these days started because they heard Korn(which I am a fan of) and others alike and automatically go for the exact guitar they use rather than what would possibly fit them better. Ibanez knows this as well as all of us do, and they will market the "Korn guitars" until something else comes along. If people wouldn't jump to conclusions, and pick the guitar that would best fit them, the JEM may come back stronger than ever. Who knows? We'll just have to wait and see.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 09:50 PM

I agree with littlegreenman about all the bland guitars today. I love the bright colors of the early jems! I think some people might think jem and think bright colors or swirls and 80s hair metal and be turned off for that reason. I wish they make some new *bright jems, but I doubt that'll ever happen.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 11:12 PM

Just hang on folks...it's going to come back around.

Look in any recent Guitar Player, and it slam-full of "retro" guitars, amps, and effects. *More metalflake & tweed than you can shake a hoola-hoop at.
The 80's stuff is still a few years off, IMHO.

I agree with littlegreen on the Charvel/Jackson/BCRich metal-assault gear. ESP got in there too, but they were a few years behind. *I always thought of Ibanez as a player's guitar. *

post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 11:29 PM

When I went into a Mars Music for the first time (not more than a couple of years ago), I asked them why they didn't sell Ibanez. *The salesguy replied "You mean 'Has-been has'?" *See the "Off Topic/Misc." section for more on mass retailers.

I'd be interesting to know if there was a Jem owner out there that hasn't heard Vai - I'd bet there isn't. *I'm convinced there's a good portion of the guitar-rock loving/playing public out there that heard and liked P&W but hasn't heard anything of Vai's since then. *I'm also convinced there are Vai fanatics out there that don't play a Jem because they don't want to get up at a gig and have someone say "hey look - he thinks he's Steve Vai", and I can understand that.

I agree w/ the statements made re black/grey (not bright) colors. *I'd suggest checking out a BSB - you can probably still find them new/mint and they're just stunning in person - pictures just don't capture it.

Thanks!

- Chris
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-27-2001, 12:08 AM

I've also heard the term "I've been had" used in various places. *Speaking of MARS, I just sold my 555 to a MARS employee up in Jersey on Ebay.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-27-2001, 09:02 AM

Don't laugh too hard, but I had my first two JEMS before listening to VAI, other than hearing the 'Attitude Song' on the radio. *I guess I'm backwards because I like the guitars so much that I went and bought some Vai CD's. *I still use the guitar for it's versatility and don't play any Vai stuff (although I do listen to it).

But like Jeremy said, all the other guitars are plain and boring:biggrin:

JC
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-27-2001, 10:20 AM

Well, gentlemen, the whole situation looks to me awfully like the alcohol thing... I get flamed for "shjowin` off" ev`ry now and then ordering Jameson or Glenfiddish in Jonnie Walker or JD drinkin` companies...
I played Strat for 7 years and when I got meself a COOL GREEN BFP I understood that everything - looks, sounds, the feel and overall vibe of the guitar just won`t let me put my hands on anythin` else...
If one knows that JEM is a cool guitar - perfect, he`s one of us, no matter does he listen to SV or not.
After all we (jemaniacs) do not need too many outsiders tryin` to get a JEM for themselves... WE WANT OUR PRECIOUS JEM-BABES FOR OURSELVES ONLY! Aa`right?
And that Re-issue thing - I don`t think that`ll make the original ones (of which there`s plenty) less valuable and good lookin`/crazy soundin` machines.Here`s a hint - *Why so many people run around tryin` to get *original 50`s Strats/LPs when they can walk into so many stores and buy a reissue?
But, anyway I`d like to get a RED DEVIL 7WVH... There was a thread - some professional graphic designer guy posted his pictures of JEMs-to-be as he sees `em... That`s awesome... Boy it`s worth havin` a look at...
Cheers...
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-27-2001, 10:36 AM
Banned

Last edited by Rodney James; 01-31-2008 at 09:21 PM.

Tags
electric guitar , guitar players , guitar playing , ibanez jem , monkey grip , music store , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode