Why is the DBK so much cheaper? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-01-2004, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

Why is the DBK so much cheaper?

Can anyone explain to me what about the Jem DBK makes it several hundred dollars cheaper than the white and blue models? I know it has different pickups and lacks a vine inlay on the neck, but at least where I live it sells for several hundred dollars less than the other Jems. Is this an inferior guitar, a la the Jem555, or is it worth the money? I own a white Jem and love it, but I would consider buying a black one if the tone is significantly different. But I don't want to spend $1200 on ANY guitar unless I know it's a solid one. Thanks very much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-01-2004, 07:21 PM

well, i totally disagree with th epart of 1200 dollars. there are some really good guitars for that money. strat MIM is just the beginning.

about 7dbk, all i say is go out and get it. it's fantastic!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-01-2004, 07:27 PM

A lot to the VWH, BL, UV, etc. & is marketing and having more "spotlight" with it's endorser. I own a VWH and have spent some time with a DBK and quality/playablility wise is very similar (the setup does have to do with this). Also the pups though having a different tone from EVOs is not bad. Much warmer. I actually saw a used DBK @ GC when going with a bud looking for his first bass. It was a '02 asking $800 maybe with a case (I didn't followup to find out though now looking that seems to be a decent $ considering how good of condition it was).
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-01-2004, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

re: DBK

Thanks for the input, guys. BTW, I didn't mean to suggest that there are no good guitars for $1200 -- what I meant was that that is a lot of money for me, so if I can get a much better guitar for a couple hundred dollars more, I'd be more inclined to do that, since I can't afford dozens of different axes. But it sounds like I should go play a DBK at my local dealer. I appreciate the opinions! Thanks!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-01-2004, 10:51 PM

yeah, dbk is such a great value guitar i'd say one of the best around its price range.. well others may have different opinions, but i love the dbk.. it's an excellent guitar.. ppl who want a jem but only got around 700-800 bucks should get it. it's comparable to the other jems *except for the vine inlays *
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2004, 06:11 AM

The DBK is a great axe for shredding and it looks so f$%$ing hot!

As soon as I have the money for a used one I'm all over it.
You can't go wrong.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2004, 10:02 AM
RCB

IMHO the DBK overall looks cheap, and the ones Ive tried had a pretty bad looking rosewood on the fingerboard. The finish is just awfull (this is subjective though), and I think you can get better guitars for that kind of money (not that it s bad, but there are much better buys out there is you can live without the lion claw and the monkey grip).

If you can grab a used RGT3120, that would be my choice. A bolt on RG3120 should be a good buy either. Another 6 string guitars worth checking are the RG2020/2120X and the S2020/2120X. You will have to change the pups is this guitars, but the piezo feature its a plus. You should alos check out the RGT2020SOL.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2004, 01:29 PM
Contributor

Reviews: 1
My DBK plays great. I'm still not comfortable with the finish- looks cheap to me- but it is a very resonate guitar and the neck is pure sex. The pickguard I've replaced with a multi-color custom guard (see Tech thread, beautiful swirl pickguard) that brightens it up some.

Feature-wise, it's a bargain: the DNA is the only other Jem with those Breed pickups, AANJ, Prestige neck- all for hundreds less. You'll get over the wierd finish.....buy it!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2004, 03:31 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Re: Why is the DBK so much cheaper?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max-T
Can anyone explain to me what about the Jem DBK makes it several hundred dollars cheaper than the white and blue models? I know it has different pickups and lacks a vine inlay on the neck, but at least where I live it sells for several hundred dollars less than the other Jems. Is this an inferior guitar, a la the Jem555, or is it worth the money? I own a white Jem and love it, but I would consider buying a black one if the tone is significantly different. But I don't want to spend $1200 on ANY guitar unless I know it's a solid one. Thanks very much!
Did you search the forum for similar discussions?

the DBK was a low-priced jem to combat the poor customer opinion of the 555. the DBK cost is mostly a marketing decision (still more than an RG, less than the other JEMs), but other factors as possibly having 6-piece bodies and cheaper final finish can play slightly into it. there is not $900 less in parts than the VSBL. QC/build quality is the same... glen
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2004, 03:47 PM
Vendor

The 555 had been available for years.

The DBK was an entry level Jem to replace the BSB at an even cheaper entry level price.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2004, 03:48 PM

Yeah, this has been discussed many times before. Its because they are cheaper to make, and therefor they are cheaper to sell and buy! But as Glen said, there isnt a HUGE difference between a DBK and the higher priced models such as the VSBL. And thats why a DBK is such a good buy.

It remains one of the best value guitars for the money, along with the great 3120, and the god-like RG550 that we all know and love. Those 3 guitars are the best value guitars you can buy on the market for me!

And all made from quality parts and components, that really are no less than the higher-priced models. Thats one of the reasons I love Ibanez!

Gary - The.Godfather

Tags
jem dbk , monkey grip , string guitars

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode