Why a DNA??? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-31-2002, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

Why a DNA???

I look at this guitar and its price and i donīt know why. When you see the specs of a js2k, itīs made of acrylic, son the price is higher, js10, jpm10 and jem 10 are in some way better than the regular series, but...what about the DNA???
Basswood and breeds. Yes, i know itīs illuminescent and those things, but for me a jem 10 is beautier (even a vwh) and cost much less. I like the swirl, but i prefer a GMC for example, so why 4000 $ for a DNA??? I mean, a JS2k is not even similar to a js1000, but a DNA seems a better-end 7DBK. Oppinions?
Urko.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-31-2002, 01:31 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
I think there are some simply gorgeous DNA swirls out there and some that are absolutely hideous

There is of course the $500 or so upcharge for the paint job, which Ibanez will need to cover and then make a profit on, but the main price increase is more than likely the simple fact that it's a collector's edition, each numbered and strictly limited to 300.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-31-2002, 01:39 PM

I know that this has been discussed widely in the past, but, in a nutshell:

-First of all, the finish: Aside from the fact that the red paint contains actual samples of Vai's whole blood, the DNA swirl project has yielded what may be some of the finest swirls to date. They range from very subtle wide swirls to extremely complex and intricate micro designs. The color choices are excellent as well. Also, Darren's work does not come cheap It's not so much a mere finish as it is a work of art.

-The Rarity: at only 300, it's the 2nd rarest JEM out there (at least of those for which production numbers have been released).

Those are the main two reasons. It all really boils down to preferences, opinions and taste. To me the JEM10th, though it is admittedly very pretty, is a bit "plain" for my liking. I'm not a fan of black guitars, therefore the JEM10th is one of the 5 JEM models that I've not owned (along with the RB, PBK, VSK & VSBL) If ya like swirls, you'll like the DNA. If you prefer the understated elegance of a JEM10th, you probably won't like it as much.

Bottom line is: if you don't like the DNA, don't buy one. It's pointless to question the value/price of something like a DNA. A JEM10th is not a DNA, which is not a Crystal Planet. The JEM10th also has a relatively high production number when compared to the DNA & CP. That should be considered as well.

One could also argue that a Ferrari is overpriced compared to a Mustang. They're both cars. One is simply a "better" version of another, right? They both have wheels and get you where you want to go (although the Ferrari just might get you there a bit faster!) Just because the color of one is more attractive to an individual doesn't make it a "better" choice. There are far more factors to be considered than the cost of the materials or the finishes, etc.
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-31-2002, 01:41 PM

There's a lot of discussions on this topic and opinion.

I ordered mine right after NAMM weekend when it was introduced in Jan 2000. When I got mine 9 months later. I was blown away. It was beautiful. It plays and sounds great. The price reflects a specific appeal and collectibility. The neck is, of course, reminiscent of the DBK but since the Breed pickups are direct-mounted, you get more out of them. This guitar has a great sound. It's just a really cool guitar. The nice Y2K case with the fleece-like drawstring bag and irridescent COA help make a great package to accompany the guitar.

Mine had two, minor flaws that have actually caused me no problems. There is a small chipon the side of the fingerboard (bass side) right next to the nut. It almost looks like there was a pore in that spot and the fingerboard just cut down the middle of it. Like I said-small. However, I saw this on another new one and I believe others have found the same thing. the other thing was that the rout for the nut is wider than the nut itself by about a mm or less. It may have been sanded in such a way so that this particular area does happen to be wider than it should be. Not sure. But, it's not very noticeable unless you are looking for a flaw and it has no effect on the performance of the instrument. If you are shopping for one-and you see these things-don't be alarmed and don't necessarily be discouraged by it. I'm really picky about the condition of stuff and I always look things over carefully but hey-I still bought it.

I agree, the price is high, but consider the extra cost of swirling, drawing blood, and the appeal of a limited run. I would've expected a street price of less than $3000.00. Oh well. I'm happy with mine so it was a worth-while purchase for me.

This is really for the Jem addict and/or collector. I wouldn't necessarily recommend this to someone just because they had the money and want a Jem-unless they were so absolutely in love with it. But, did I mention it's a really cool guitar?

Mike 777 Haug
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-31-2002, 01:46 PM
Vendor

Let's not forget the Millenium Edition "factor" which played a role in the pricing of alot of year 2000' editions.

Funny, but how come nobody complains about the $8000 List of the GB2K? Compared to the $3000 list of a regular Benson it definately felt the most "upcharge".
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-31-2002, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

Iīm not meaning that. I say that in terms of body material, is the same guitar, not as a js2k, js10 or jpm 90, i mean a special series needs something "more" than a nice swirl for that price, and thatīs what the jsīspecials give. I have to admit the 10th has the same problem for me, but
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-31-2002, 02:43 PM

Something "more"? Ya mean besides having Steve Vai's BLOOD? And a killer finish that renders each guitar a one-of-a-kind? Oh yeah...and the little fleece sleeping bag that came with each JS2K & DNA (not sure about if the Benson had one or not...I've only seen a couple).

Sorry, but a guitar doesn't get too much more unique than actually having the designer/endorsers actual DNA in the finish. Sure, we'd have all liked to have seen a highly-figured wood with an exquisite stained finish, etc., but that's not really Vai's style. When you get down to it, most guitars are little more than bits of wood (or acrylic), put together with some bits of metal and plastic. The DNA makes a statement (other than "I had too much spare cash laying around"). It says "Look at me! I'm bright and swirly and cost more than some people's cars."

If you owned a DNA, you'd understand. It's just not something that can adequately be expressed in mere words alone.

http://members.aol.com/vaijem777/DNAfront.jpg

http://members.aol.com/vaijem777/DNAback.jpg
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-31-2002, 03:43 PM

Please adjust your picture resolution to match the rules of the forum so it doesn't reformat all the text in the post so we low lives who can't run 1600x1200 resolution have to suffer.

Thanks!
Gabe
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-31-2002, 03:55 PM

Duh...sorry about that. I didn't mean to post them as actual images...just as links.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-31-2002, 04:10 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaijem777
Sure, we'd have all liked to have seen a highly-figured wood with an exquisite stained finish, etc., but that's not really Vai's style. When you get down to it, most guitars are little more than bits of wood (or acrylic), put together with some bits of metal and plastic. The DNA makes a statement (other than "I had too much spare cash laying around"). It says "Look at me! I'm bright and swirly and cost more than some people's cars."

If you owned a DNA, you'd understand. It's just not something that can adequately be expressed in mere words alone.
Personally I'd go for a graphic finish over a flame top any day of the week. Flame tops have been done to death, by McNaught/PRS/McInturff etc, even the RGs have some tremendous flame tops on the top of the line models. I do reckon that it's the collectability and uniqueness of each guitar more than anything else that makes it so expensive, after all, even Vai's blood is pretty much on tap
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-31-2002, 05:33 PM

The jem 10 to me has always been one of the ultimate jems. While it may not exactly be your average jem, it has understated reserved good looks. I could have maybe done with a different color. A deep blue would actually look good on that. The dna was never physically attractive to me, but Ive never seen one with a flaw, and most of the swirls are some of the best Ive ever seen
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-31-2002, 06:51 PM

Just think of it this way...you're actually playing with Steve, er, Steve in the DNA form, every time you play this guitar
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-01-2002, 05:08 AM

well i agree with everyone here. i have had the 7dbk and sold it. i still have my DNA. i have thought of selling it but i just can't bring myself to do it. i am looking at buying a home but can't but if i sold this i could but i would never get it back again. etc etc. plus ever since i met steve and he signed it, it's even more difficult for me. i keep it for now. i never play it but the one time i did plug in, the tone was amazing. like a 7dbk but SO MUCH SUSTAIN.

basically it's like this...... i have seen nasty swirls but then i have seen insanely beautiful swirls. so then i was thinking..... am i dropping this money on the paint alone? cuz if it looked sick, i wouldn't buy it. luckily i think mine is one of the best....or it may have been gone.

i can understand what he is saying with wanting more for the $$. i have thought of that too. maybe what would be cool is an autographed nice photo in color 8X10 of steve holding YOUR DNA. and maybe a DVD as well showing the process of making it. i know the swirling is a big secret so that part can be omitted. those 2 things would be very cool. who cares about the sleeping bag it is in. to me that's just very little icing on an expensive cake THAT YOU CAN'T EAT. all in all it's such a sweet guitar. too bad they are too much $$. my guitar is pictured below.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-01-2002, 05:57 AM

This might come across as staggeringly ignorant.... But 2nd rarest jem? I thought that at 300 units the DNA was THE rarest! You mean there's a Jem out there thats EVEN RARER? Damn!!!!!!!!!

J
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-01-2002, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymond
This might come across as staggeringly ignorant.... But 2nd rarest jem? I thought that at 300 units the DNA was THE rarest! You mean there's a Jem out there thats EVEN RARER? Damn!!!!!!!!!

J
I think PMC was limited to 271 or something...

Tags
crystal planet , custom swirl , custom swirl jem , dna swirl , killer guitar , paul reed , paul reed smith , reed smith , steve vai , strap button , swirl jem , swirl project

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode