Why does everyone seem to hate the Edge Pro? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 06:56 AM Thread Starter

Why does everyone seem to hate the Edge Pro?

Thats the question I want to ask, as to me it seems like this trem has some advantages, the main one being that you don't need to cut the strings when changing them. But it seems to get some negative press around the traps and I was wondering why.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 07:59 AM

Reviews: 2
Re: Why does everyone seem to hate the Edge Pro?

I've got the edge pro on my two Jems (7Vwh, 77Vbk) and a Lo Pro Edge on my new
PGM300REWH. Original Floyds on my other guitars. I have no complaints about any of the bridges whatsoever. I do block all of the bridges from pulling up like EVH does,,,,,I've always liked the stabililty. They all work just fine and hold their tune for me, and I'm happy.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 08:22 AM

I dont think many people HATE it. Its the Edge Zero that a lot of people dont like.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 08:28 AM

Change! Horribly unmerciful change! Always moving, moving, moving! For the love of humanity will it ever stop!?

Besides the typical suspicion of anything new, a lot of people just like the original Edge and don't feel it needed any "improvement". They feel that with each iteration of the Edge, there's been a net loss on feel and familiarity.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 09:06 AM

Reviews: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTiger View Post
with each iteration of the Edge, there's been a net loss on feel and familiarity.
I believe this is the key point in all the discussions about any post-Edge tremolo.

With the Edge Pro, Ibanez actually dared to improve existing floating trem designs, and did it well. The regular opposition of people used to older bridges is just natural. I for my part played Schaller Floyds for all my guitar life until 2008 when I first ventured into Ibanez territory.

The Edge Pro is a design marvel - low profile, little sustain blocks (not sure how much they contribute, though), perfect fine tuners (if you don't have long fingernails, lol), easy to adjust, wonderful ergonomics, elegant design. The stringing with ball ends is a nice feature, but really not that big of a deal. But another sign that someone spent considerable thought on the design.

The rather fast finish wear and the lack of an intonation tool like for the Edge are really the the only complaints from a technical/use perspective. I'm not convinced the Edge trem sounds better in comparison either.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 09:55 AM

Reviews: 18

Do you mean Edge Zero? I thought everyone loved the Edge Pro.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 11:00 AM

Reviews: 21

I have absolutely no clue why Edge Pro was discontinued in favor of Edge Zero. EP IMO is the best trem Ibanez has made thus far.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 12:35 PM

Reviews: 11

Edge pro is superb trem. I love it!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 02:49 PM

Reviews: 9

I don't dislike edge pro, I just prefer the lo pro. It's more to do with how it responds, I just find the lo pro dies what expect.

I hate edge zero, and I'm not keen on the zr...
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 04:46 PM

Edge pro is superb in both 6 & 7 string versions. It's only a matter of taste and compatibility if somebody prefers lo-pro or edge. Why was it dropped? I have no idea, probably manufacture costs or something else financial...
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 07:13 PM
Contributor

I am a JS lover and I think the edge pro is the best but I can't find many people to agree with me. I think it just comes down to liking what you got used to when you started.

Tags
edge pro , jem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode