Why Does 'VWH' have different frets to the'Florals'+others? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

Question Why Does 'VWH' have different frets to the'Florals'+others?

Hi Guys!
Does anyone know the reason that the 'VWH' and 'Jem10th' have 6105 frets while the 'FP','BFP','DY' and the 'BSB' Jems are listed as having 6100 frets?Some years catalogues just list the ones with the 6100 frets as having 'Jumbo' frets.Also in the '96 Catalogue it refers to the 6105 as 'Warmoth 6105' yet it lists the 6100 as 'Jim Dunlop 6100'.I'm slightly confused by this.Warmoth don't actually make fret-wire but they do use the '6***' numbers for their list of available fret-wires.Those numbers are actually 'Jim Dunlop' fret-wire size numbers and they DO actually make their own fret-wire.I'm sure it says on the Warmoth site that they just use the same numbers as 'Dunlop' because it's the 'recognised standard' sizes.But then why do Ibanez list the 'VWH' frets as 'Warmoth 6105'?Surely Ibanez wouldn't buy fret-wire from somewhere like Warmoth.
The whole thing really puzzles me.The second part of my question is do people on this Forum think that the 6105s are better than the 6100s?I know the 6105 wire is quite a bit thinner and than the 6100 but they are both the same width.I wouldn't really think one was actually 'better' than the other as such.Surely it's down to personal preference?
I'd be grateful for any information or opinions on this subject that anyboby has.The main thing that puzzles me is why use one type on some Jem models and another type(at the same time) on other Jem models when they are all supposed to be Signature guitars of the same Artist?
What do you think? All the Best!..........JTM45!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 07:42 PM
dex

Re: Why Does 'VWH' have different frets to the'Florals'+others?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTM45
The main thing that puzzles me is why use one type on some Jem models and another type(at the same time) on other Jem models when they are all supposed to be Signature guitars of the same Artist?
The same reason he used to prefer basswood with Paf Pros and now goes for alder and Evos - he changed his preference.
All the old jems kept the original speck (which is why even the '04 FP had the old style neck joint, was made of basswood and had Paf Pros in it) and the new ones were made acording to his new speck.
I prefer the wide 6100 as even though the 6105 are a hair bit taller slides are not as smooth and easy as they are on a proper jumbo frets.

ilia
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 08:03 PM

Reviews: 5

I would guess that the fretwire has to do with where the necks were being used. The new necks are basically stock Wizard necks with fancy inlays or crappy inlays (on the DBK). So they probably end up with the same fretwire as on other RGs.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 03:14 PM

Hmm... U guys really ought to do some more reading on warmoth's homepage. They only use the same numbers for the fretwire as Dunlop. The actual height and width differs from Dunlop's frets. This means that w6105 is smaller than D6105. The width is the same I think(I haven't checked it). So, yes, Mr. Vai uses Warmoth frets - not Dunlop frets on Evo. About the Dunlop 6100 frets I think that the FP has the w6105 now - but I could be wrong about this. One thing I am sure of though is that the JEM neck isn't the same as the Wizard neck. Trust me on this one I've owned both a s540 and a JEM. The JEM-neck is a bit thicker and feels more natural than the Wizard which I found too thin.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 03:24 PM

OK - sorry the FP actually uses jumbo-frets...
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasBJ
Hmm... U guys really ought to do some more reading on warmoth's homepage. They only use the same numbers for the fretwire as Dunlop. The actual height and width differs from Dunlop's frets. This means that w6105 is smaller than D6105. The width is the same I think(I haven't checked it). So, yes, Mr. Vai uses Warmoth frets - not Dunlop frets on Evo. About the Dunlop 6100 frets I think that the FP has the w6105 now - but I could be wrong about this. One thing I am sure of though is that the JEM neck isn't the same as the Wizard neck. Trust me on this one I've owned both a s540 and a JEM. The JEM-neck is a bit thicker and feels more natural than the Wizard which I found too thin.

Yeah but the Japanese Wizard II has the same spec's as the Jem neck (Thickness). The radius is flatter on a Wizard II but that makes it easier to get a lower action while bending.

http://jemsite.com/axes/htm_features/necks.htm

http://www.ibanez.com/guitars/misc/n...s/wizard_2.gif

Tony
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 09:04 AM

Sorry... Never tried a Wizard 2...

Tags
jem neck , jim dunlop , jumbo frets , neck joint , paf pro , paf pros , signature guitar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode