Why is it impossible to buy an Ibanez Backstop? - Page 3 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 66 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 04:28 PM
Vendor

Re: Why is it impossible to buy an Ibanez Backstop?

Boys, knock it off.

The best solution is either a hipshot tremsetter, or just adding 2 more springs to increase the tension. Both will allow you to use the trem but both will make the trem feel extremely heavy to use

https://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and...RoCrV0QAvD_BwE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 66 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 05:02 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anese View Post
so as im still itching like a sick dog to get a good deal on one of those backstops I made an international VOIP call to Ibanez USA.
The guy on the phone seemed cool and helpful.
At first he said that he didnt know what i was asking for..(i think he was pretending or i dont know), then he said "ahh ok"
and asked me to wait on the phone and he will see what he can do. (i waited for like 8 minutes).
he came back and explained to me that this part is not for sale due to the issue that we all know about it. ( which was the response I pretty much was expecting).
I also tried to contact HOSHINO Japan but the answer machine was in Japanese, I tired to call them again in another time but the guy on the other end didn't speak english at all
You just wasted time. You could have just asked here.

Ibanez had 100 specifically made for the EVO's, then they had another batch made for the 30ths. I asked them repeatedly that there was a market for these, make more for parts. They refuse, and one thing I can guarantee is if they did, they would cost at least $200 retail.

Now all these latest batches are no longer Ibanez branded, where the original was. And after the EVO run there was a guy from Indo on ebay selling what were apparent overruns, I think he had like 10, for $60 each. Because they were non branded and he was kind of a **** I just passed. But that would have been the pricing of a typical normal part, like an arming adjuster is $40/45, etc. Once it goes thru Ibanez, multiply the price by 4, period.

Point being, there are 2 different types of backstops, though they both look identical from the top, the originals had the Ibanez logo on the bottom, the new ones are blank.
post #33 of 66 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Boys, knock it off.

The best solution is either a hipshot tremsetter, or just adding 2 more springs to increase the tension. Both will allow you to use the trem but both will make the trem feel extremely heavy to use
As someone who strongly considered buying something of the sort and given up on the idea, I'm just trying to add some hopefully helpful input and workaround which has worked for me.

One thing is for sure, I'm also a lot happier with a stiffer spring setup and see the biggest problems with guitars setup with only two or three springs.
Hoseki is online  
post #34 of 66 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 06:29 PM
Vendor

More springs or High Tension springs I consider problematic because it makes angle adjustment extremely finicky. And slight movements in angle make large changes in action.
post #35 of 66 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 10:27 AM

Quote:
More springs or High Tension springs I consider problematic because it makes angle adjustment extremely finicky. And slight movements in angle make large changes in action.
Hadn't ever had a problem with it but then I'm not doing large numbers of guitars like you are, just one at a time of my own. Don't you think though, that at least for some players, that the benefits outweigh the hassle? It's definitely been much better for me.
Hoseki is online  
post #36 of 66 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 12:35 PM
Vendor

If it's better for anybody that's why they use or request it. Personally I hate anything that interferes with the way it was originally designed to feel.
post #37 of 66 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Personally I hate anything that interferes with the way it was originally designed to feel.
The presence of five spring hooks is a big hint at how they were designed to feel. Add to that various string gauges, differing preferences between a flat picker and a shredder, lots of room for natural variance from player to player.

You do guitar setups all the time with a wide range of customer selectable options for a very good reason and that's what keeps them happy; that their guitar is setup for their personal requirements and not a universal standard.
Hoseki is online  
post #38 of 66 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 10:33 PM
Vendor

The spring claw was designed with 5 hooks because Fender [I believe] always used 5 springs from inception. Yes, it gives plenty of flexibility in feel, gauges you can use, tunings, etc. but I'm specifically referring to how Ibanez has always designed their production guitars setup with 3 standard springs. Some artist models like Korns would have high tension springs, several J Customs had high tension, some had milled instead of cast blocks, there has been variation. But the extreme majority with extremely rare exception, a standard Ibanez since the 80's shipped with 3 standard tension springs, and that is the feel I'm talking about. Edge, Lo Pro, EP, until you get to these ZPS units where only 2 springs work in the setup. And they chose springs with tension that are similar in feel to what you would find on the rest.
post #39 of 66 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 11:30 PM

It's interesting to think about the progression of what the norm is and I used to have 5 springs on my Strat, but varied between 3 and 4 springs before finally realizing that the stiffer feel was definitely home for me.
Hoseki is online  
post #40 of 66 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 12:50 PM

All my Strats came with 3 springs from the shop, I don't regularly inspect Fenders in the shop to see how many springs they come with but I think for the most part it's 3? I'm with Rich, I like having 3 standard tension springs and having the bridge floating nicely, easy to setup and feels amazing. I have the Tremol-no if I need to temporarily turn it into a hardtail and that works really well, so long as you fit it and set it up right (can be a bit finicky to get it right at first) it won't affect the feel or tuning stability.

I don't really want to mess with the Jem 777 30th so I haven't removed the backstop and put in a Tremol-no but I've thought about it a few times, it's very useful. The Tremol-no could be improved too though, the concept is spot on but the execution could be improved on, since it effectively relies on the friction of the screw on the shaft to hold it in place. As a result it's quite easy to lose a hand screw if you leave them in with ful floating mode, since when in full floating mode they aren't tightened and can work loose during a set, the other option is to use the allen key screws and to tape it off, but then you lose the convenience of being able to switch it between songs.
post #41 of 66 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 05:52 PM
Vendor

I meant from inception, I believe 54' Strats shipped with 5 springs. I could be wrong though.
Hoseki likes this.
post #42 of 66 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 08:12 PM

Quote:
I meant from inception, I believe 54' Strats shipped with 5 springs. I could be wrong though.
https://reverb.com/item/22327811-fen...color-sunburst
It appears ‘54 Strats do have 5 springs. 😉
Hoseki likes this.
post #43 of 66 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBazz View Post
...I like having 3 standard tension springs and having the bridge floating nicely, easy to setup and feels amazing.
It's so nice that the options are there for us to dial in exactly what we like and I think that most players are like you and do prefer 3 springs, although I know there are others like me who prefer the feel of 4 springs, which works great too.
Hoseki is online  
post #44 of 66 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 03:17 PM

Quote:
You just wasted time. You could have just asked here..
I had to try sorry.
Or do you mean asking if there's someone has a backstop for sale here ?

Quote:
Now all these latest batches are no longer Ibanez branded, where the original was. And after the EVO run there was a guy from Indo on ebay selling what were apparent overruns, I think he had like 10, for $60 each. Because they were non branded and he was kind of a **** I just passed. But that would have been the pricing of a typical normal part, like an arming adjuster is $40/45, etc. Once it goes thru Ibanez, multiply the price by 4, period.
Do your remember the seller name? i'll try to contact him maybe he still have few.

Quote:
Point being, there are 2 different types of backstops, though they both look identical from the top, the originals had the Ibanez logo on the bottom, the new ones are blank.
Do you know if there's a different in the quality and functionality between the branded and the non branded ones ?

Thanks for the info
post #45 of 66 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 04:06 PM
Vendor

You could have just asked here about contacting Ibanez to get one and I would have posted that without you making alot of wasted phone calls.

I never had an original next to unbranded to see if that back rib was the same on both and it was just the angle in the 30ths that created the problem. Otherwise they looked identical.

He sold out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode