Why is it impossible to buy an Ibanez Backstop? - Page 4 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 66 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 10:11 AM

Re: Why is it impossible to buy an Ibanez Backstop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Now all these latest batches are no longer Ibanez branded, where the original was. And after the EVO run there was a guy from Indo on ebay selling what were apparent overruns, I think he had like 10, for $60 each. Because they were non branded and he was kind of a **** I just passed. But that would have been the pricing of a typical normal part, like an arming adjuster is $40/45, etc. Once it goes thru Ibanez, multiply the price by 4, period.

Point being, there are 2 different types of backstops, though they both look identical from the top, the originals had the Ibanez logo on the bottom, the new ones are blank.
I think I bought the last one of these. It was 55,-Ä and is probably two years ago. Like you wrote it is blank on the bottom. One screw is longer than the other, but other than that it now works perfectly in an RG.
I can say that I like it. It is just a totally different feel. I have tried two ways to adjust it and both work for me.
I haven't read all of this post, so sorry if this has been posted many times before or is well known, but here is my experience with it:
First you can just have this very little push so the bridge will always go to neutral position. Depending on the guitar this can work even better than a perfectly set up guitar with lubed studs. And depending on the setup it does this even when the guitar is at an angle.
Second is just a little heavier on the springs and this way is like I have it now. The strings are a bit more loose and when bending one string, depending on the position on the fretboard, e.g. a whole note bend from "d" on the b-string 15th fret, the "g" on the e-string 15th fret will not go flat (or just a tiny bit). Pull ups are heavier of course and flutter is dead.

I cannot say that I prefer this to playing without, as it feels so different, but it is a nice option and I bet that a lot people just don't like it because of the complicated setup (relatively) and the downsides that come with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 66 (permalink) Old 11-02-2019, 10:01 AM

There is a guy on here who goes by Cornbread, He has one and is interested in selling it. Try to contact him if any of you are interested in buying a backstop.
post #48 of 66 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 05:08 PM

Finally I got my hands on one..
Iíve Been trying to spot one with a good price under 100 usd but that was nearly impossible, usually the price was in the 200 usd range..
So I kept raiding Jem sellers on Reverb with private messages asking them if they are interested in selling the Backstop alone.
Most of them agreed but they asked 200-250 for it.
till a few weeks back this man agreed ..and all what he asked for was a 100 usd. even though he was a vintage guitar seller and he know what that actually worth for.
He informed that the backstop is fully functional which was installed on an 87 jem I guess.
The only problem with it is that it needed some cleaning (check the pics and let me know how do you suggest to clean this) and the rubber pad was missing.
- do you think thatís a problem?
- can I just install the Backstop without the rubber pad?
- or I might use the square rubber pads the came with the esp arming adjuster since I have a couple of those.

IMG_8125.JPG

IMG_8126.JPG

So.. Now what I need to know is this: as Iím going to set that backstop itís gonna load some counter tension on the springs and that for sure would effect the the neck relief in some way or another.. so in what order the set up should go?
For my own opinion, I think it should go like this :
1-Install the backstop and set it up ( let is settle for a day or two)
2-Check the neck relief and do any necessary adjustments if needed
3-Adjust Action
4-Adjust Intonation

What do you think ?

leave any comments or advice and about how to set the backstop and how to set the the guitar after I install the backstop, I know this is a matter of taste.. as most of us play their guitars in different settingsÖbut just share your thoughts with me and Iím sure they gonna be a lot helpful

Thanks
Hoseki likes this.
post #49 of 66 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 07:49 AM

sounds like a plan. Not so sure it's going to have any noticeable difference in you neck relief. I've seen them set up 2 different ways. One way is the way you described, The other is where the nylon pads are only touching the bridge block enough so that your eyes can see it's touching. So it's not really doing anything but preventing the bridge from dropping out of tune if you lower your E to a D (if your backstops tension is strong enough). I tried that but didn't like it, it made it feel less natural.

Your way is the way I wound up using it. I didn't have to make much adjustments after it settled, just small things. But I did wind up taking it out though. It doesn't feel the same. It was a freeing feeling not having it anymore lol. I wound up putting a tremolno in there.

BTW: Cornbread has one up for sale in the "For Sales" area of the forum if anyone wants it.
Anese likes this.
post #50 of 66 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JsXLine6 View Post
One way is the way you described,
I didnt actually describe a lot over there, but if mean the way of how to set up the backstop then please post some links or feel free to explain the ways of how this is tend to be set up, because other than the ibanez manual for the backstop i have nothing.

thanks
post #51 of 66 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 02:48 PM

https://www.jemsite.com/forums/f21/i...top-27280.html

Here's a link, the thread os probably exactly what you're looking for.
Anese likes this.
post #52 of 66 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 12:26 PM

Quote:
https://www.jemsite.com/forums/f21/i...top-27280.html

Here's a link, the thread os probably exactly what you're looking for.

There wasn't much info in there, i think ill try the method described in the manual or this method, which i used on my ibanez with the ESP arming adjuster, which i think is more practical.
if you wanna watch skip to 16:00 because the guy filming was just setting his trem angle then he will get into setting the (goldo blackbox) a unit similar to the ESP arming adjuser.

Thanks
Hoseki likes this.
post #53 of 66 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 03:40 AM

I installed a Hipshot Tremsetter in one of my guitars just to see what the fuss was about.

Maybe the backstop is special, but I didn't even wait for a string change to pull it out. I guess it just wasn't my thing. The trem was stable, but it felt like I was fighting it all the time. If that's your bag, then cool, but it wasn't my cup of tea, for certain.
Hoseki likes this.
post #54 of 66 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper Pilot View Post
I installed a Hipshot Tremsetter in one of my guitars just to see what the fuss was about.

The trem was stable, but it felt like I was fighting it all the time.
That's what I never liked either. The whole concept of floating trem goes away and you end up with two completely differing rates of tension.
Hoseki is online  
post #55 of 66 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 01:27 PM

Right, the 2 different feeling tensions got old fairly quick for me as well. I have a tremolno on my js24p. I played it for about 2 days after installing it before sending it in for a refret. It seems to have potential. I am supposed to get it back this weekend ( i hope 😑 ).The guy has had it for quite some time... his prices are great and the work is excellent... but he takes his time.
post #56 of 66 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper Pilot View Post

Maybe the backstop is special, but I didn't even wait for a string change to pull it out. I guess it just wasn't my thing. The trem was stable, but it felt like I was fighting it all the time. If that's your bag, then cool, but it wasn't my cup of tea, for certain.
I've mentioned it before but I have a backstop and I think it's horrible, a waste of time. I get the idea, it provides counter pressure so you can run more tension on your springs, which means you can have a stiffer trem without setup/leaning issues and that means bends don't pull the trem forward as much, meaning the rest of the strings don't go quite as flat, if you break a string it goes less out of tune. However, it makes the trem feel like complete ass, stiff and clunky and in my case it also played a negative effect on the tuning stability, counter to the claim that it's meant to allow more consistent return to zero it was doing the opposite.

So within a day of owning my 30th Anniversary Jem I set up the guitar without it, I later tried it again where it was only "slightly" contributing as opposed to Ibanez setup of relying on it heavily, but it was still a negative. I think a Tremol-no is just a much better unit, it doesn't allow you to run the trem stiffer but it does give you the absolute ability to turn the guitar into a hardtail on the fly rather than this "halfway there" stiff trem approach with the backstop.
BigBazz is online  
post #57 of 66 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 08:24 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoseki View Post
That's what I never liked either. The whole concept of floating trem goes away and you end up with two completely differing rates of tension.
I have one guitar with a backstop and had another one previously. I can best explain it like this. It's like having sex with a condom on. You still can use the trem but the feeling is all different. I am not a fan. That being said I am glad I have one guitar with it so all the Ibanez fanboys can be like, ooh you have an original backstop (87 radius).
OCDemon is online  
post #58 of 66 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 08:29 PM

I'm happy to hear another person has a radius haha. Though i am jelious because... you have the right neck.
post #59 of 66 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 06:56 PM
Contributor

Quote:
I'm happy to hear another person has a radius haha. Though i am jelious because... you have the right neck.
I am not super into it because I own many JS guitars and the radius is not quite as good as the JS in many ways, but being a huge JS fan I wanted to see it's evolutionary ancestor.
I have mine setup in drop D with a significantly thick string (.052) on the low D and that keeps me interested in it. I also changed all the pickups I wasn't thrilled with the stock Ibanez ones. I have all Dimarzios in it now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Radius copy.jpg (148.4 KB, 16 views)
chris101 likes this.
OCDemon is online  
post #60 of 66 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 07:06 PM

Ahhh yeah i see. Well it also is the type that doesn't have a regular pickup selector. I have a js24p. I definitely like the feel of the js better. I have a 540s neck on the radius... so it's a little disapointing with the 17" radius. But the 540r is a custom build, So tone wise i actually like my radius better. Love the radius and js bodies though. So damn unique.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode