why JEM is easier to play then Telecaster.? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

why JEM is easier to play then Telecaster.?

hi, u know why i found that playing my JEM is easier than my Fender tele. I mean can play faster n easier bending. I do set up both guitar @ almost same action, same brand of string. Jem even has tremolo bridge, suppose need to bending more right!? They both has same scale lenght which does like gibson. WHY????? is that the radius of the neck is the only reason??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 08:48 PM

Reviews: 8
Re: why JEM is easier to play then Telecaster.?

The JEM and Fender both have a 25.5" scale while the Gibson is 24 3/4" scale. I would attribute the easier playability of the JEM to the thinner neck and flatter fretboard radius.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 10:09 PM

consider the how the neck is joint to the body (Block vs AANJ) the JEM has a flatter radius, larger frets.

soundwise, totally different.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 10:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by navybass View Post
The JEM and Fender both have a 25.5" scale while the Gibson is 24 3/4" scale. I would attribute the easier playability of the JEM to the thinner neck and flatter fretboard radius.
yes, sorry wrong typo. I mean both fender and Jem doesn't like gibson.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

So, if i order a fender neck with flat radius and bigger fret that would has easier playability. Actually, why the bigger fret would has easier playability?
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 08:06 AM

Reviews: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77_FP View Post
hi, u know why i found that playing my JEM is easier than my Fender tele.
I'd say your tele needs a professional setup.
A guitar with a bad setup is often harder to play, I think.
Other than that, it's all a matter of personal taste.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 08:21 AM

My tele plays just like any of my EBMM BFR's, or any of my Ibanez. They sound different, that's about it. I'd take the tele for a pro setup if I were you too. I'm not sure which tele year etc you have but is the radius on the fretboard any different between the two where you are more comfortable on the jem?
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 08:30 AM

The Tele will have a slightly narrower neck than a Jem and depending on what model you have, it could have a very round fretboard. The '52 vintage reissue has a 7.25" fretboard radius. Flat radius fretboards are much better for large note bends. The other thing you'll probably notice is that bending the strings is easier on the Jem because the bridge moves when you do it. This decreases the string tension when bending.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 08:52 AM

Reviews: 1

My fender strat is easier to play than my JEMs
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 09:38 AM

The big frets make a huge difference, as do the amount of strings in the back. I I think eddie van halen liked 2 springs in his kramer, seems way to rubber bandy for me.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 03:59 PM

Reviews: 2

It's really down to body/hand structure and what you are used to. For me, my Ibanez guitars -string spacing and neck thinness - are so perfectly suited to me, that playing my other guitars puts me at a deficit in efficiency. If I wasn't so attached to them from owning them so long, I'd probably clear em all out for more Ibanez!
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 08:03 PM

Well to me its a matter of physics... easier string bending is cause of the string spacing... the strings closer together means when you start bending you'll grab the adjacent string just that millisec sooner adding the next strings tension just that much sooner. Making it feel like its harder to bend... cause it is. As for the playability... thinner neck allows the fingers that much more range of movement. (Helps get the knuckles on the fretboard side instead of on the corner of the board.

Anyways that's my 2 cents. As for the tremolo... I'm not so sure that's right... I think it'll take the same amount of pressure to raise to a given note with any bridge on any given string. Tremolos would detune as you bend technically making it further for you to have to bend the string to reach a given note.

Well that's my 2 cents. I don't know if its right but whatever.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

thanks all inputs. my tele is 52ri which is 7.25 radius with vintage fret. My Tele n Jem both did a pro setup. I can play faster and easier bend in JEM, that is the truth for me. The only thing comfort me with the fender neck which is the feeling. I can touch the neck surface more when playing since the thin little vintage fret.
one thing that I just want to know, does the neck radius and the frets size affect the tone??
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 09:27 AM

The JEM is just way more refined and adjustable than a Tele.
The Telecaster is more or less a raw plank of wood with a 2x4 for a neck.
Dont get me wrong I just bought a American Special tele last week.
It has a big maple neck with huge frets and sounds awesome for Blues
or country style. But my JEM is way easier to play, and is still my number 1 guitar. I like having lots of different guitars for variety.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 07:06 PM

Ever played one of those tiny litte strats? They bend really easy because the neck is so short. The longer the strings are from the bridge to the nut, the more tension and more tension for bends ect. Also the jem has a floating bridge with springs in the back so when you bend it gives, whereas the tele is a fixed bridge and doesn't give as much, but that contributes the the tele sound.

Tags
jem fender

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode