Why is the JEM7V so much more expensive than the JS Series? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-03-2004, 11:07 PM Thread Starter

Why is the JEM7V so much more expensive than the JS Series?

Just wondering. Is an Alder body that much more than basswood?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-03-2004, 11:18 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Marketing... because Ibanez can charge more as the RG superstrat is a bigger seller and appeals to more. The parts cost is about the same except the extra middle PU in the JEM... glen
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-04-2004, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

So would buying a JEM7D and putting in the 7V pickups get you to the same place as a 7V? The only difference I can find is in the wood material.

Also, why does the Jem appeal to a wider audience? Is it more versatile?
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-06-2004, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

bump
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-07-2004, 07:08 AM

not so much "more" versatile, as thats a matter of taste.

I think its simply a case, of more people know the Jem/RG shape, and more people know of Steve Vai. Its that simple really.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-07-2004, 07:38 AM

On another note you have to factor the vine inlay in as well as a reason for higher priceing.

Quote:
So would buying a JEM7D and putting in the 7V pickups get you to the same place as a 7V? The only difference I can find is in the wood material.
You wouldnt realy be getting to a 7v no, while its no less of a good guitar there are still differences.
The neck profiles are very different as is the neck construction (3piece on dbk 1 on 7v) if you buy a 7v from 03 and before you also have the ebony board rather than rosewood and of course you have the vine inlay on the 7v. And the difference between alder and basswood is very noteable imho.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-07-2004, 01:19 PM

The Jem7VSBL was supposed to be less expensive than the VWH imo.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-07-2004, 05:34 PM

an RG550 with evo's is probably the best way to get the whole vai vibe going on at a discounted price with all the functionality/tone of a JEM.

your paying for the signature and the looks more than anything..

the JS is a better instrument in my opinion.. but just because of it's tonal qualities, they suit me more than the JEM.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-07-2004, 06:05 PM

The jem7vwh's are more expensive because of the vne inlay. And also as people have pointed out, more people are aware of Vai than Satch and maybe the public just digs the "superstrat" style more?
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-09-2004, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite
Marketing... because Ibanez can charge more as the RG superstrat is a bigger seller and appeals to more. The parts cost is about the same except the extra middle PU in the JEM... glen
Yeah but the list price on the PGM301WH is only 1400 $ compared to the 2660 $ for the JEM7VWH!

Regards

André

post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-09-2004, 05:14 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite
Don't forget you've also got those 2 extra bits of fretwire to pay for too!!!
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-07-2005, 04:12 AM

Re: Why is the JEM7V so much more expensive than the JS Series?

Inlays cost a lot less now they've got the lasers...I've seen very cheap guitars with extremely subtle and detailed inlays. It isn't even real MOP they're using on the 7VWH...I don't want to know how much I've contributed to Vai's silly wardrobe throughout the years.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-07-2005, 06:19 AM

First of all the JS and the JEM/RG are two completely different animals.

22 frets vs 24 frets, and neck profile of JS resembles more the Fender strat profile....Joe simply turned Ibanez Radius guitar into more or less his own strat clone.

The Jem/RG has completely different history.......and Steve being more flamboyant as Joe....his guitars have more frooo-frooo.......the inlay, the monkey grip, the lion claw behind the trem. This all adds to the idea that this guitar is more expensive to make.....and so could carry a higher price tag.

With current CNC and laser cutting equipment this is all bunch of hog wash.......
That whole vine inlay wouldn't cost Ibanez more than $10-$15 per guitar....and they up market the guitar $400-$500.

That's marketing dude!!!

All smoke and mirrors.

And yes if Ibanez and Joe would be little more creative....(read: colors, inlays, etc) the JS wouldn't be out sold by the JEM 10:1.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 07:32 AM
b3n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texter
I don't want to know how much I've contributed to Vai's silly wardrobe throughout the years.
Ha! Now I understand why JS dresses (more) normally...
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 10:45 AM

imo i think that most of it is down to the jem being an amazing looker aswell as a good player, the four scalloped frets at the bottom of the neck, the inlays, lion claw and monkey grip all add money as everyone else has said!
The sound of the jem7v cant be beaten though, its a lot easier to get that raunchy sound with the evo's!
i'd also say that i think the neck on the js1000 is a little more confortable!

Dave

Tags
alder body , atd swirl , bridge pickup , ebony board , fender strat , joe satriani , led inlays , monkey grip , scalloped frets , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode