Why no Radius anymore? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

Why no Radius anymore?

How come the JS line has consumed the Radius line? It simply does not make sense to me, there are many signature RG's, S's, yet the non-signature lines still exist. Ibanez could just produce the Joe Satraini version of the Radius, and keep the regulars. I would definitely go buy a radius with an ultra, or even better a wizard neck, than trying to hunt used ones (and sometimes pieces of them) on the net. It is ridiculous to have IMHO one of the most beautiful designed guitars ever only stuffed with a strat neck. It is great to have options, I'm not against the JS line, but why stuck with it? Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I had to speak it out I've read people complain about this, but could not find a thread dedicated..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 02:49 PM

Re: Why no Radius anymore?

They could charge more for JS's than Radiuses. That's why the Radius died. They pop up on the 'bay from time to time.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 06:42 PM

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 08:12 PM

I think Radius sales were slowing, but I also think Joe sucked all the oxygen out of the room. He's a pretty big talent. You're right there are a lot of sig guitars that have non-signature siblings, but there aren't any RG's with Jem-like qualities like a lion's claw or monkey grip. The Voyager didn't survive Reb Beach's decline, and the features of the Frank Gambale (recessed neck/mounting rings, etc.) didn't survive his departure.

The Radius should have survived Joe's seizure. I don't think it was necessarily intentional, but I would not be surprised if Joe was partially responsible for the lack of a reissue at some point. I would love to see a new Japanese Radius with a 5-piece Prestige neck and an AANJ. Maybe even an Alder or Mahogany body instead of Basswood, but I'm not head of product development for Ibanez.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 10:03 PM

Others know the history better than I do. There were 2 completely different design teams right? One produced the Saber and the other produced the Radius at pretty much the exact same time. Did the guy(s) who first came up with the Radius wind up leaving Ibanez, and the guy(s) that came up with the Saber stay with Ibanez? That would make sense too. Pure speculation on my part, but once the body style became the JS, if the original designer(s) aren't there to make tweaks/upgrades to keep the line going, it will stop.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 10:54 PM

i concur with Mr. Falbo regarding the radius line. The other issue that happened was the dramatic reduction in popularity of the super strat. If you look at the catalogues of that time especially 90 through 94 you see a shift by ibanez away from the super strat floyd equipped guitar (with the exception of the JS and JEM of course) the saber line the radius line all with standard trem options and the advent of the RT line. the time and the popular music of the day i believe played a part in the demise of radius series as well.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 10:58 PM

historically, the music of the day (mid 90's) killed off Kramer guitars and Rack mount gear became less popular. At least ibanez continued as a company...... other guitar makers didnt fare so well....
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 02:26 AM

The music of the day didn't kill off Kramer. Shoddy workmanship and s**tty customer service killed them. I bought a Kramer in 1988 and had major neck problems start shortly after I got it. Contacted them and it took me forever to get a response and then all I got was a run around. I ended up trading it for an RG570 and never looked back. The guy I sold it to ended up doing a pete townsend to it after he tried everything he could to fix the problems. He knew the problems before we traded and thought he could fix them...WRONG! It's too bad because in their heyday, Kramers were amazing guitars.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmd130 View Post
The music of the day didn't kill off Kramer. Shoddy workmanship and s**tty customer service killed them. I bought a Kramer in 1988 and had major neck problems start shortly after I got it. Contacted them and it took me forever to get a response and then all I got was a run around. I ended up trading it for an RG570 and never looked back. The guy I sold it to ended up doing a pete townsend to it after he tried everything he could to fix the problems. He knew the problems before we traded and thought he could fix them...WRONG! It's too bad because in their heyday, Kramers were amazing guitars.
Kramer had a lot of management issues that really led to their demise. The product issues are pretty well documented - they were just building as many guitars as possible and shooting them out the door. In fact, by the end of the 1980s they weren't even making their wood parts in-house - the supposed "made in the USA" Kramers were bodies and necks made by ESP and other overseas sources simply "assembled in the USA". Nothing wrong with MIJ parts or guitar, but they shouldn't be sold as (and priced as) USA-made instruments. To keep up with demand you would wind up with parts from different sources that weren't really inspected - just slap it together and get it out the door. Basically nothing different than what Fender was doing 10 years earlier (except Fender was making their own bodies and necks in-house). Actually by then end of the company the only things ESP was doing were the neck-through guitars; the other parts were coming from who knows where.

Now if you believe Sterling Ball (from a post on his blog on the EB-Music Man site) another issue was triggered by Kramer's biggest endorser, EVH. The Ernie Ball company was working with EVH and was producing the 5150 string sets for Kramer (if you can find an original set of 5150 strings you will find both the Kramer and EB logos on the back of the package). EVH's management thought he wasn't getting the appropriate royalties from Kramer and actually went to EB demanding an audit of the string activity. Sterling Ball immediately said "No, we are only suppliers to Kramer and really have no direct business relationship to you. However, if you demand that Kramer conduct an audit, we will be happy to comply". EVH's people demanded the audit which turned up that both the string and guitar royalties weren't being properly paid to him. I'm sure that pretty much "greased the skids" and hastened Kramer's pluge to bankruptcy.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 04:26 AM

Reviews: 6

I have a 440r and its an awesome guitar... shame they don't produce them anymore. I doubt they will ever bring it back unless godforbid Joe leaves Ibanez (which will never happen).

Tags
radius , satriani

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode