Why NOT the JS100? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 08:50 AM Thread Starter

Why NOT the JS100?

Years ago I tried the JS1000 and I loved it, mainly for how comfortable it was to play; it felt like it was made for me. The thing is I don't have a grand and a half sitting around for a guitar. My budget could stretch to a JS100, which would suit me fine because the trans red is the most attractive JS I've ever seen. The thing is there seems to be a lot of hate for it on this forum.

I've watched a bunch of videos of it being played stock and it sounded pretty good. Plus it's the same shape with the same neck (I think anyway. JS vs JS Prestige = big difference?). Would I really regret this purchase? If you think so, could you elaborate on why? I need to decide if it's stuff I can put up with (for instance, dealing with the stiff trem).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 10:40 AM

Re: Why NOT the JS100?

obviously, they are not the same guitar !
I got a JS100TR, a really beautiful guitar with a gorgeous finish, but
the playability of a JS1000 is way better - don't ask me why
it's for me a lot of physical details my poor English can't explain here

I've never played a JS1000 but I own a JS2000, so I can't compare the tremolo action,
except I own a lot of Ibz with Edge or Lo-Pro

It depends on your budget, but don't expect that a JS100 plays like a JS1000/1200
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 11:39 AM

There are a few big differences between a JS-100 and a JS-1000.
The necks are not the same. They are close but not the same.
The parts are inferior on the JS-100. Pots are cheaper, bridge does not stay in tune as well. Pickups are inferior. For the cost of a JS-100 you could get a nice RG with a much better bridge.

I have a JS-1 (predecessor to the JS-1000) and a JS-100. They are very different guitars in terms of playablity and quality. I would recommend saving up for a JS-1000 as to get a JS-100 to play decently would at a minimum require new pickups which would add considerably to the cost. Just my opinion.

There are a lot of threads on this topic so if you want more opinions you may try a search of the forum.

Cheers.
post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 11:42 AM

If you want a JS that plays well and you're on a budget, get the JS1000 or JS1200 that go between 750 and 1000 on bay. There's always a couple up for sale every week that I check.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

That's probably the best thing to do axemanrio, it's just a shame they couldn't have put the transparent red on the more expensive model. It's stunning, and neither the BTB or black ones grab me. Also moebius I'd considered RGs before but they kind of look... I don't know. Like there's a massive log of guitar and they slice off a body for each new RG from the log with cheesewire.

What can I say, I'm vain.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Teaparty View Post
it's just a shame they couldn't have put the transparent red on the more expensive model

I agree !
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 12:08 PM

Reviews: 59

Ok, I own a JS1200 and have played a 100 pretty extensively. I wanted so badly to buy a JS100 and save the money. The 100 will give you the look but it's not the same in terms of feel and tone. Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad guitar but the attention to detail on the Prestige is vastly superior in addition to higher quality components.

As for big things, the trem on the JS100 is inferior, there's no other way around it and you will probably find yourself upgrading it at some point. The pickups are also just meh, compared to the Dimarzio offerings on the Prestige models. You also will only get a split coil option on the 100 whereas the 1000/1200s give you the hi-pass filter as well.
In addition to these, I think you'll notice a substantial difference in the neck and feel of the guitar. The frets are a wider profile and are likely not going to be as well finished or rounded. The neck profile is different from the Prestige neck and for me, not as comfortable.

Despite these issues, the guitar is not bad. It's a solid mid-level guitar. I only denounce it because the 1000/1200 is truly superior. I would strongly suggest you play a 100 before deciding that you'd rather save the coin. I got my 1200 about 2.5 years ago and I haven't wanted another electric guitar since. Sure, there are some guitars out there that do a specific thing better, but it's an all around winner for any style of music for me and it feels and plays great.
I have thought of getting a 100 as a back up for gigs, but having tried to like it for that purpose several times, I've concluded that they are different enough for me that I would rather find a beater 1000 on the bay to make a back-up (even though it's more expensive).
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

I think the feeling I'm getting is this is a guitar that should've been better for the price and is a poor substitute for the good JS's. I spent a few hours losing my desperate want for the intensely sexy JS100TR and searched around for things which would fill the gap.

As it happens I'm a real fan of the way the Ibanez S570B looks, but information pertaining to its performance seems non-existant. A general non-committal "yup, s-series is pretty good", and folk seem to love the ball-bearing bridge. Also seems from various YouTube videos that I can get some pretty nice progressive, shreddy sounds out of it and still tweak it to other musical styles. Most importantly it's two-thirds of the price! I'm going to go to a guitar store sometime soon and try both the JS100TR and S570B if possible, would anyone advise me against this alternative?
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 03:17 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Unless you're in dire straits (the financial situation rather than the band) i'd seriously advise saving up and getting the JS-1200 if you're set on a red guitar.

The JS100 is a "good" guitar, but frankly it's not the same as having the "real thing". The same with the S570, it's a good guitar, but it's not the "real thing" either.

If you want the look and not the playability or sound, the JS100 will do just fine. If you want the "inner peace" of knowing you own the "right" guitar you're better off saving for the more expensive "thousand" series guitar.

Only you know if those extra few hundred quid is somethign you can justify to yourself.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 03:21 PM

I agree that the JS models are damn sexy compared to the body of an RG. Also the neck profiles are vastly different. And a JS profile will be different than an S570. So definitely play the guitars and find out what profile you like.
Happy hunting.
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 03:36 PM

Reviews: 59

Play them both, play them all and see what fits your hands best, what sounds best to you, etc. If a $90 pawn shop special does it for you, that's the guitar you should buy. I wouldn't spend any money on a guitar that I wasn't satisfied with at the time of purchase unless the things that you want to change/upgrade are easily managed (ie pickups).
It may seem like a lot now for the potentially more expensive "right" guitar but in the long run, there's satisfaction that you'll never quite have no matter how much you upgrade a lesser instrument.
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 05:19 PM

Have you considered a 540R... I got mine for 350 australian dollars with case.. and its a cracker....
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 07:06 PM
Contributor

I started out with a JS100 and I was happy with it until I finally got a JS1200. The short answer in the difference is better pickups and better trem. The more in depth answer is that everything is a little better, better neck, better frets, better parts, better everything. You won't pickup the JS100 and think it's bad necessarily, but in comparison there's no reason to ever go back to a JS100 once you have the real thing. Once you start switching parts out it quickly becomes more worth it to save up for a used JS1000 or something. That's my two cents. But I was quite happy with my JS100 for a number of years. And I had an S540 and I prefered the JS100 to it.
OCDemon is online  
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 02:18 AM

An S540 is no 540R... They are a different beast altogether, thinner neck , mohogany body etc..Different feel.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-08-2010, 09:04 AM

SP is right. I have 3 540-s, had a 540-r that I heavily modified, and I have a JS6. Completely different feel on all of them. As someone else pointed out, it's easy to pick apart the components, and show that the trem/pikcups/etc are better on the JS1000, but it's just as important that they are made in different factories with different customers in mind.

I recently starting a new project - putting a cheap RG neck onto a JS600 body. It's going to be a unique/cool looking guitar (a budget JS2400). The neck and body are both in great shape, and I've put a Gotoh bridge on it (basically identical to the JS6). But as I play it, it's just obvious that it feels so different due to the neck being off of a korean or indonesian RG. A good setup will help, but it's just never going to play like the JS6 or my Japanese made 540-s do.

If it were me, I'd look for a great deal on a used JS-100, and then keep saving for the JS-1000. If you find a great deal, you'll sell it later without losing money on it. You can spend a lot of money on doing these mods yourself - pickups, better Edge trem, etc, and still won't get it all the way to the JS-1000. Plus, you may find that you get all you need from the JS-100 in the long run.

Tags
js100 js1000 js

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode