Why not the Lo-TRS? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-24-2013, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

Why not the Lo-TRS?

I recently picked up a used '99 JS100 that I've been gradually replacing all the chrome hardware with black. The '98 JS100 came with the Lo-TRS II trem and, after a LOT of research on this forum, it seemed to be universally reviled, with many people opting to replace it with a Gotoh 1996T Floyd due to the "drop-in" replacement process. I don't want to mess with routing to get an Edge to work so "drop-in" replacement is of utmost importance to me.

While monitoring eBay for a deal on a black Gotoh, I came across a used a black Ibanez Lo-TRS for a song. Again, after researching it and weeding through all the misinformation, I figured it couldn't hurt to buy it and see how it compared to the Lo-TRS II. Long story short, I couldn't be happier with it and am perplexed why the Lo-TRS gets lumped in as a junk trem with the Lo-TRS II? It is made in Japan and has a screw in arm that screws directly into the block similar to a fender trem and is completely stable, no play in the arm, and returns to the correct position after significant wammy exercising. My only complaints are that I needed to shim the saddles to match the neck radius and it does need a bigger sustain block as it sounds a little thin but I'll get that replaced in time (needs to be custom made due to the screw-in arm).

Is it's only crime sharing a common name with the Lo-TRS II? What are others real-world experiences with the Lo-TRS? I'm not looking for hearsay but actual issues I may come across because it seems like a hidden gem to me (no pun intended).

Last edited by Jamvan; 12-24-2013 at 05:27 PM. Reason: Changed year of guitar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-24-2013, 01:25 PM

Reviews: 4
Re: Why not the Lo-TRS?

I have a lo-trs on my ex series. it works great. stays in tune well. the only things i do to it is, put chapstick on the studs where the knife edge on the trem contacts it to cut down on the friction and i use some teflon tape on the threads of the studs to help lock the studs down due to the fact that there is no locking screw in the center of the stud like on the studs for an edge trem.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-24-2013, 01:26 PM

Reviews: 2

Your absolutely correct. The original design TRS and Lo-TRS are very good trems. They are stable and dependable.... especially with a locking stud mod.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-24-2013, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

I'm just getting back into playing after many dormant years (kids, work, life, blahblahblah) and this is my first Ibanez. This site and Rich over at Ibanezrules.com have been invaluable in information to help upgrade this guitar. I've replaced the stock AH pickups (PAF Joe, Mo' Joe) and tried (unsuccessfully) to install a push/pull volume pot with a high pass filter. I will say unequivocally that I hate to solder and am not very good at it.

As such, I'll take the lubrication into account for the trem edge as well as possibly retrofitting some locking studs if the need arises.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-24-2013, 06:00 PM

Yup the Lo-TRS is a good trem unit. Same basic knife design and just as good as an Original Floyd IME... Pick up some Teflon Tape for the studs and it will be even better...
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-25-2013, 10:29 AM

I think most will agree that the Lo-Trs I is ok and that the II is the one to avoid. I don't recall reading much hate mail against the I only the II.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-26-2013, 04:45 AM

Lo-Trs I is a very good tremolo and stays in tune
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 12:16 AM

Bump!

I picked up a nice condition LO-TRS I from a fellow jemsite user and didn't realize the studs and inserts are smaller than the LO-TRS II. =\ How bad off am I going with the LO-TRS II studs and the LO-TRS I knife edge? I have heard the LO-TRS II studs are crap. Is there another stud that would fit into the LO-TRS II insert?

Kinda bummed, was hoping for a direct drop in!

Thanks,
Steve
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 02:13 AM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by justaguy_99 View Post
Bump!

I picked up a nice condition LO-TRS I from a fellow jemsite user and didn't realize the studs and inserts are smaller than the LO-TRS II. =\ How bad off am I going with the LO-TRS II studs and the LO-TRS I knife edge? I have heard the LO-TRS II studs are crap. Is there another stud that would fit into the LO-TRS II insert?

Kinda bummed, was hoping for a direct drop in!

Thanks,
Steve
The difference in diameter between the two studs should be minimal and easily corrected through intonation.

Can you give specifics about your guitar? (year, model, etc.) Pics of the two studs next to each other would be helpful too.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 03:26 AM

It's a Mid-90s JS100. Serial # C 5072301

The original LO-TRS II stud is on left, the LO-TRS I stud is on the right:

IMG_20140201_002625.jpg

Appreciate the help, thank you.

Steve
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 08:13 AM

Quote:
It's a Mid-90s JS100. Serial # C 5072301

The original LO-TRS II stud is on left, the LO-TRS I stud is on the right:

Attachment 4279

Appreciate the help, thank you.

Steve
The studs you have look better to me honestly... Thicker with finer threads. Hard to tell from the pic, but they don't look beat up...

Screw them in to about the height they would be at for the bridge to function and try wiggling them. If there is a ton of play they will be crap, if they don't move you should be good. If there is some minor play there wrap the threads with teflon tape.

Then just drop the TRS II in and try it out...
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 01:51 PM

I think OFR also uses those with finer thread ...
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swirltop View Post
The studs you have look better to me honestly... Thicker with finer threads. Hard to tell from the pic, but they don't look beat up...

Screw them in to about the height they would be at for the bridge to function and try wiggling them. If there is a ton of play they will be crap, if they don't move you should be good. If there is some minor play there wrap the threads with teflon tape.

Then just drop the TRS II in and try it out...
They don't look that beat up to me, but the knife edges on the old trem sure were. How does one tell if there's too much play? They move around a bit in the insert, maybe 1mm? Is there any concern about the harder TRS I knife edges and the presumably softer Korean TRS II studs?

Great community here, thank you!

Steve

Last edited by justaguy_99; 02-01-2014 at 05:23 PM.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 08:42 PM

Quote:
They don't look that beat up to me, but the knife edges on the old trem sure were. How does one tell if there's too much play? They move around a bit in the insert, maybe 1mm? Is there any concern about the harder TRS I knife edges and the presumably softer Korean TRS II studs?

Great community here, thank you!

Steve
I would wrap the studs with teflon tape and try them out. It's not like the knife edges are going to lop off the top of the studs

If it stays in tune nice I'd be happy and play the hell out of it. If the tuning stability isn't what you'd like then I'd probably look into some Gotoh or Floyd studs and anchors

My guess is the studs you have will be fine though...

Tags
js100 , lo-trs , replacement , trem , tremolo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode