Why not neck through? - Jems/Universes - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-18-2001, 04:49 AM Thread Starter

Why not neck through? - Jems/Universes

I was just flipping through the pages of a Carvin catalog and noticed that their neck thrus have a great neck joint, which seems to provide seemless and unrestricted access to the upper frets.

Why do you suppose that the Jem has never been a neck thru? *Are there advantages to a bolt on neck that a neck thru won't provide? *Is it more cost effective to have a bolt on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-18-2001, 07:23 AM

Why not neck through?

From what I understand, a neck through is more expensive to produce. *And, here's my experience.
Although a neck through design gives great upper fret access, if you have a neck problem, you're screwed. *I had a Washburn neck through body that I loved. *Problem was, the neck twisted a couple times and like rust in a car, once it starts to twist, it's nearly impossible to stop it. *I had 2 choices. *First was to twist it in the opposite direction, that's what I did, it was the most cost effective and worked ok for a while. *Second is to pull the frets and reshave the fretboard so it's straight again. *
Now if you should break a neck, you can't just replace it.
I love the feel of a neck through, but hate the associated problems. *Plus, I've yet to see a non finished neck on a neck through body guitar that looked any good, and I can't stand a neck with paint on it.
Just my opinion.
Jeremy
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-18-2001, 09:00 AM Thread Starter

Why not neck through?

I agree on the finish issue, I had a Model 6, which had the finish on the back of the neck. *

The particulr model of Carvin that stuck out was an oil finished one, and the neck was also oil finished, it looks sweet.

Isn't the Zakk Wylde Gibson neck thru? *Maybe it is a set neck, but whatever, it is not finished.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-18-2001, 09:30 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Why not neck through?

I think it's probably a mixture of factors as to why the JEM is a bolt on.

Firstly I reckon (and maybe so does Steve) that bolt on neck guitars sound better, they seem to have more snap and sparkle to their tone than a guitar with a neck through or set neck construction.

Secondly I think form a maintainance p.o.v. *that touring *and playing as Steve does puts a huge strain on the guitar and replacing a neck half way through a tour is easier than having to through away your fave guitar (evo wouldn't be with us anymore if it was a neck through)

Lastly they are cheaper to make I'm pretty sure of that fact.
jono is online  
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-18-2001, 09:58 AM

Why not neck through?

I do like neck-through guitars, especially the Carvins with those wonderful unfinished necks (any guitar with a gloss finished neck just feels disgusting to me), but bolt-on is always my first choice.

If it's well-made and set up properly, I don't agree with those people who insist that bolt-necks don't have good sustain. I like the "snappy", precise tone. I like maple fretboards, which are much rarer on through- and set-neck instruments. And I occasionally enjoy swapping necks around, for no real reason except that I'm easily amused.

From the JEM/UV angle, I reckon that the ease of construction and price factor would be the Ibanez consideration, and as we can all see from the Jemsite galleries, Steve does get through quite a lot of necks on each tour. I'm sure that was the main factor from his point of view.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-18-2001, 10:51 AM

Why not neck through?

IMHO neck thru body guitars are heavenly to play....I really love the Jackson Charvel customs which come with this option. Excellent guitars. But on a jem, we must firstly understand that....the great Stevie has the last word on any and every feature of jems or uvs.

So far as far as ibanez goes the only guitars I've seen with neck thru design are a few japanese j customs

Chris.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-18-2001, 11:58 AM

Why not neck through?

I'm only guessing, but the reason Jems have bolt on necks is the repair factor. Break a neck and 10 minutes later you can have another one put on.

As far as the cost of manufacturing a neck through...I was in GC yesterday and picked up a neck-through Fen&er Stage Master, played it and was impressed. The price tag read $399. Hmmmmmmmm :biggrin:. If it weren't for the neck profile, I might consider buying one of these.

Granted, the Stage Master is no Jem, but A/B it with an RG450 and the Stage Master wins....sorry.

J>
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-18-2001, 01:18 PM
Super Moderator

Why not neck through?

Hey maybe the "neck-through" debate would make a *good new JEMsite poll ?
jono is online  
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-18-2001, 02:33 PM
site founder 0% owner

Why not neck through?

Quote:
Quote: from jono on 1:18 pm on Mar. 18, 2001
Hey maybe the "neck-through" debate would make a *good new JEMsite poll ?
I've been lax w/ the polls, one reason is POLLS will be a feature in the next software revision. It works very well and should enhance the forum/site since any member could start one in designated areas Coming soon! ...glen

[size=1]PS - I vote for AANJ bolt on. Primarily for ease of repair, setup and feel.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-18-2001, 04:05 PM

Why not neck through?

I've seen a RG
I think it is a J-custom

It has a AANJ but it is different from normal AANJ(know what i mean?)
It's a bit thinner and feels closer to neck through
but it is still a bolt on

I hope that Ibanez will use that NJ to replace all the AANJ
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-18-2001, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

Why not neck through?

American Masters are neck thru RGs, list price $1200-1800.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-18-2001, 08:15 PM

Why not neck through?

Has anyone seen him break a neck live? Or had any other major problem live?
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-18-2001, 08:16 PM
Vendor

Why not neck through?

This goes back to the old Strat vs. Les Paul debate, bolt ons have better harmonic responce, while set necks (and neck throughs) have better sustain.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-20-2001, 12:49 AM

Why not neck through?

On many occasions I have seen Steve have problems live which stopped the show..........

None of which were guitar related....all were sound/amp problems..

hope that answers your question Two Hands31...
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-20-2001, 10:55 AM
Banned

Why not neck through?

Man I would sure not like to see neck through on a Jem/UV!!! They have to have much thicker/rounder necks to be sturdy. Because the neck section of wood is so much longer. Plus as many guitar necks I have seen go bad, (including neck through) that would be, not good!

I would like to see Jems get back to the 19mm at 1st and 21mm at 12th with the nice profile W/the 21mm to 19mm taper. If the profile and thickness will be diferent on a model,, than advertise it like they use to.(such as they did with the 777VSK, 777VDY,,etc,

Those days you could order a Jem and odds were with you to get a neck about as close as you can get to the other 2 plus Jems in the room. That's not close to the case today. *
I Love my 2000 FP in all, but there is no taper at all from the 12th to the 1st fret, and the neck is huge/thick and almost totaly round? I was told this is the VWH profile, yet I have seen 3 new VWH's and they all 3 had thinner necks and much more of the flattness to the proile.

Well that's my 777 cents.

Tags
fret access , les paul , maple fret , maple fretboard , neck joint , neck thru , neck thru body , upper fret , upper fret access , upper frets , zakk wylde

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode