Why is Steve Vai's Prototype DNA in a guitar store window? - - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-04-2001, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

Why is Steve Vai's Prototype DNA in a guitar store window? -

OK,I was at the NAMM show a couple of weekends ago. While I was in Anaheim, I took the opportunity to go party in Hollywood for a day (and night, WOW). I went to the Hollywood Guitar Center on Sunset on Sunday afternoon, and to my AWE, and surprise, I walked right up to the DNA prototype they had given to Steve. It is in the Museum window to the left of the front door of the Guitar Center Rock Museum there. I was at first in Honour of being in such fine company, the guitar, not guitar center. But, then I got to thinking (now the trouble begins) why have you forsaken her Steve? Why does she sit in a window, unplayed, though maybe cherished, and coveted by many? Steve seemed so excited about the whole "blood thing" (no pun intended) HE was very excited to see the presentation I prepared of all the DNA's I have photographed, and cataloged. However, it seems he is not so excited about the guitar itself if it is just going to sit there next to his old Despagni Jem Flame guitar. Not even a mention of the owner of the guitar or her history, creators (Darren), NOTHING, in the window. I have pictures. I realize the obvious, the value of sharing the guitar with all of whom would love to see her, like me. But I would not allow such a disgrace of not mentioning the creators, and a history of exactly what people are seeing when they look at her, and the Flame Jem next to her. I adore my DNA's. I have waited a lifetime to find guitars that really make me sing, like my Floral, and 10th, and UVMC, and all the rest of them. But the DNA really makes me soar. Maybe I am applying my standards to anothers, but I was heartbroken that Steve told me how cool he thinks the guitars are and how crazy I am for wanting to keep 3 of them, but does not see his own, or play it. I will talk to him about this the next time I see him. *I know this is not a big big deal, but I was hurt that my piece of Vai was so special to me, but obvaiesly not to him! What do you think?

(Edited by moochie777 at 1:53 pm on Feb. 4, 2001)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-04-2001, 07:54 PM

Why is Steve Vai's Prototype DNA in a guitar store window?

Don, *

I think we need to figure a way to switch the protoype with one of our DNA's. *Cause if there's one thing I know it's that I'd really appreciate that axe and I know you would.

Like you said, no big deal...it's probably on temporary loan or something. *I did notice guitar center has wall size pictures of VAI with his DNA. *Anyway, now that I have DNA sisters I hear you..you kind of want the artist that endorsed them to appreciate the guitar. *Oh well, I know I appreciate them.

JC
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-04-2001, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

I guess to say it in fewer words. "If Steve Vai held these guitars with the reverence that I do, it would make them even that much more special to me considering my adoration of both Jems, and Steve Vai! We all know his true fans really LOVE him. So, when I have the possibility of drawing, albeit possibly inferring, the conclusion that they are "no big deal to him" It sort of bums me out a bit you know? Especially after the way he seemed about them at the NAMM show. I guess his was a PR reaction for Ibanez rather than a true reverence of the guitar itself. I do hope I am wrong.

Don
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-04-2001, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

An aside; No one at GC Hollywood noticed the connection with that great big wall of VAI with the DNA right in his hands in front of their faces, and the one right outside the door!!! I had to tell them what it was. The guy almost passed out when he realized that. I told him, simply "you know the picture of the one on the wall there is just outside your front door , RIGHT?", he said "NO WAY"..............etc.......
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-04-2001, 11:09 PM

It's *just* a guitar! *Criminey!

I would tend to think that anyone who'd been in the business long enough to have his own signature line of guitars would not be as enthused about a guitar that is only unique in terms of appearances.

Think about it, he can have any Ibanez guitar that he wants (probably any guitar he wants) if he doesn't see one he likes, he'll have one made for him. *

Then you have to figure - every nut like you (and me) approaches him with a Jem or a guitar or a picture of a Jem. *It's like he's saying "been there, done that." *Everyone says it at one time or another.

Add all of this to his appearant distance from the neon colored, swirl guitars. *When was the last time you saw Vai playing a guitar that looks anything like the DY, SK or PMC. *

The bottom line is this, Vai has to "approve" the guitars before they are produced. Someone calls him and says "hey Steve, we want to reissue swirls, and to really drive the kids crazy, we'll throw a pint of your blood in there." *Steve says "ok" and then he goes and takes a dump. *

Of course he'll be jumping through hoops to promote it. *Could you imagine an ad "Hi, I'm Steve Vai. *Ibanez made a guitar for me, that has basically remained the same for the passed 11 years, and now they had me bleed into a bottle for the latest creation. *I don't really like the finish, but it'll do. *Enjoy!" *The hype has been made, sales are done, everyone is happy and everyone gets a nice royalty check.

The reality of what happens in our idols' lives is probably quite boring and disappointing. *That's life. *

I personally think it's great if he gave the guitar to the GC Museum. *It is no different than him giving up the "one of a kind Ultra Zone Jem" to Jemfest. *No matter what it is a good cause.

I do feel your pain. *It's a bad feeling that no one should have to experience, but it happens from time to time.

(Edited by kirk at 11:10 pm on Feb. 4, 2001)
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-05-2001, 02:21 AM

Reviews: 2

Hopefully vai grabs the prototype when he goes back out on tour. I would love to see him playing that thing. But then again flashy guitars are too distracting.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-05-2001, 08:05 AM

I can't even believe that they didn't realize the prototype was on their wall!! *What are you gonna do? *If we all thought the same we'd try to marry the same girl (Steve included). *I'd be interested in hearing why Steve donated or loaned them the guitar, but I'm still in love with mine!!

I'm still amazed that I own something that only three hundred people in the world will have at any one time. Even if one of the owners is GC.

JC
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-05-2001, 10:51 AM

Hey guys
How the heck is every one . I just wanted to say something about the G.C. DNA guitar . That guitar is the "proto type" and only that . That guitar does not even contain the DNA . As fact has it when Steve got it he played it for seveal weeks and loved it .but he was bummed that it didn't have the DNA on it .
He also did not donate the DNA till after that one was made. As I heard He wanted a few with the DNA in them and after I was done with them Steve has recieved A few . We did a few extras over and above the 300 for Steve and replacement bodies and necks just incase one of you wild players got too crazy lol!! Also just in case there were any production problems (hey catch this body im done with the electronics) only kidding ! In case of shipping problems they wanted to make sure that they had 300 to go out and one of the 300 was mine 001/300 . His DNA's are secure at his house im sure . well thats all I know
Darren A.T.D.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-05-2001, 12:29 PM

I was just at that Guitar Center this past weekend (after sitting next to Rudy Sarzo on my flight from New York -- that's a story for another post) and also noticed the DNA sitting there. *However, even cooler, IMHO, was the guitar sitting next to it: *EVO II! *At least, I think it was EVO II -- it had "E II" written on it in black marker below the trem. *At least we know that guitar was actually played on tour or in the studio.

Oh, and yes, all the employees at GC are now well aware that the DNA in the window is the prototype guitar that is also in their wall-o-Vai Ibanez backdrop.

Jason
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-05-2001, 02:17 PM

Hey Moochie - Does GC still have the EVH area?
Out,
Gregory *
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-05-2001, 05:51 PM

Reviews: 5

on a relatively unrelated note, WE GOT SCREWED! I live in Texas and our GC has no special areas, autographed, donated, or touched guitars. *The only ones hanging are for sale. *And they're mostly Danelectros. *I think it's very cool that your GC has a celebrity area. *Sucks for us here in H-town though.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-06-2001, 02:20 AM Thread Starter

JohnCwan, Not 300 people can own these. At Most 296 people. I have 4 of them. Well 3 in hand one on hold. I will end up with 3 of them in my collection. Only will wear out one at a time though!! LOL
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-06-2001, 02:29 AM Thread Starter

PRI0531 Yes the EVH area is still there. *

Darren, Once again you make my miserable life worth living...LOL..... Thank you so much for telling me that guitar has no DNA. NO WONDER he does not have it at home, and knowing his DNA's are there safe and sound makes me feel a lot better. See, thats all it takes to make me happy. Let me know HE really cares about these instruments as well as us, the people who love him. Darren, You are the Man. I swear. My faith is restored. Now I can't wait to talk to Steve some more about which numbers he has at home. Or are they more prototypes also? PS , #19 Canvas picture? LOL....Love ya no Shi_ Darren! Moochie. I am coming to Florida Just to go to your shop. I will go to the Beach while I am there, but the trek is to head to your place. I will do it the same week my Fiancee Aimee, and I are going to go to Austin Tx, just to be on Austin City Limits this summer. Peace out! Don
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-06-2001, 09:36 AM

Moochie:
FYI - Austin has a great music sceen. *Sixth street has some good places (i.e. Maggie Mays), but Antones is where you have to go.
Out,
Gregory
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-06-2001, 10:32 AM

Moochie, Go to the photos from last year on jemfest.com and find the pictures of the letter Steve sent and read them. Thatíll make you feel even better.

I think he does care about the guitars he endorses.

Tags
despagni jem , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode