Why are UV's cheaper than JEM's?? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-05-2002, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

Why are UV's cheaper than JEM's??

I're recently been thinking about getting myself a JEM, and getting all depressed looking at the prices of the things. hyen I looked at the UV price, and got very confused.

1850 for a JEM7WH

1400 for a UV777BK.

Huh?

If i used the UV as i would a six-string, would it be any less 'good' than a JEM? As far as i can figure out, the only major difference is the thicker neck.

If i got a UV, would i be getting a JEM 450 cheaper with an extra string, or will the UV not do the job as well as a JEM?

Help! Ive just confused myself and my wallet.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-05-2002, 12:30 PM

I think it's more due to the demand on Jems being higher, so they can charge more. The UV is no less of a guitar by any means, they just don't sell as many, if they cost what a VWH costs, they'd probably sell less. Plus the fact that Vai rarely uses the UV anymore, the Jem is more popular, that's it really.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-05-2002, 12:31 PM

For some people it takes no time at all to get used to a 7 string. For me it was much harder and I never really got the hang of it. When I try to play chords the 7th string is in the way for me and I cannot easily compare it to a 6 string.

I'd recommend that you play both before you buy anything. If you buy a seven and realize that you have too many strings, you'll regret it.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-05-2002, 12:38 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
demand, as jeremy said
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-06-2002, 06:21 AM Thread Starter

So if i like playing 7s, then a UV will serve me just as well as a JEM for less cost...?

Didn't steve use a UV for almost all of passion and warfare?
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-06-2002, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Globbits
So if i like playing 7s, then a UV will serve me just as well as a JEM for less cost...?

Yes....and yes.

I went through the Jem/UV debate for awhile. However since I'd started playing 7 strings afew months earlier and had taken to it like a duck to water the answer was pretty clear; the UV would be a better fit for me.

Steve did use a UV for most of PAW....and on other songs since. However it's been quite awhile since he's been cited with one live.

A true testament to the UV is that while it may not be selling like hotcakes, it's still selling well for Ibanez NOT not to discontinue it and the endorser that's supposed to be playing it hasn't. The silly things show up now and again in independent performers hands and in movies; it's just a great looking instrument that plays well and is maintaining its status when 7 strings aren't as popular as they used to be and the artist associated with them hasnt been seen with one for quite awhile.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-06-2002, 06:59 AM Thread Starter

Excellent! I had an epi lp 7string a while back, which i liked, (except for the fact tht the neck pickup kept falling out of its mounting) so im no stranger to 7's either. Hmm..now to raise the money...
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-06-2002, 07:06 AM

Go for it! I'd prefer a UV over a Jem personally, my UV gets played a lot, while the jem gets played occasionally...
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-06-2002, 11:39 AM
rvj

Demand. There are simply way more six string users out there as opposed to seven stringers. Of all the guitarists I've met in my entire life, only a few have even tried a seven string, let alone actually owning one. I myself prefer six strings. Using alternate tunings give me just about everything I need without adding the extra string.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-06-2002, 08:18 PM

The VWH is more expensive, but a DBK or a BSB have a similar price to the UV, and all three are made of basswood.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-06-2002, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Globbits

Hang on here boys....

First of all, part of the markup is in the wood - 7v is alder/ebony fretboard vs. the UV's Basswood/rosewood fretboard.

Demand certainly has a bit to do wtih it, but pricier woods definitely make up some of the difference.

second of all, lets be honest here...a stock UV does NOT sound like any stock Jem. The two definitely have their similiarities, but they are by no means interchangable (going beyond the obvious physical differences). IMO, to say that the UV will serve you just as well is not an accurate statement. The Blaze pickups have much diffrent tonal characteristics.

i have one of each (UV and Jem). I have equipped with bridge Evo/Neck PAF pickups. Obviously they sound closer to eachother than two stock equipped models would, but even still, they have their own individual sound. The UV is much beefier, tone-wise, the Jem is much easier to play.

I'm not making a recommendation either way here..just wanted to point out that they're definitely not interchangeable guitars.
~K
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-06-2002, 08:47 PM

That extra bit of money for the jem could be due to the extra work needed for the grip and the tremolo claw.maybe? i dont know it is athought!
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-06-2002, 08:59 PM

Kenny, the difference in cost of wood might amount to $20 if it was you or I building, for Ibanez, the amount they make, if it was more than $5 difference I'd be surprised.

I think it's all demand. I mean, lets face it, they will pay less for a 6 string trem, and 6 string pickups, because they use way more of them, they have CNC machines doing the grips and claws, as well as the inlays, there is maybe $50 more labor in a VWH. Bottom line is, they are very comparible guitars, the UV is cheaper because it doesn't sell as many, and because the VWH is Steve's main guitar, the DBK is no less a guitar than a VWH, but it's $500 cheaper in part because Steve doesn't use one as much.

Just like running shoes, the ones that Michael Jordan uses aren't any better than the non endorsed Nike's, but they're still $40 more money.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-06-2002, 09:08 PM

I'll digress tot he cost issue...but I maintain that the two guitars are not interchangable - on many levels.

~K
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-07-2002, 06:52 AM Thread Starter

Not interchangable at all? If i was playing the attitude song, say, on a jem, then switched to playing it on a UV would it really be that much of a difference?

Also, why is the DBK so much cheaper? Is that to because of demand, as its not steves main guitar? (Or is it you guys just like 'pretty patterns' on the neck, and not manly screw head inlays...?

Tags
alternate tuning , alternate tunings , blaze pickups , dual sound , ebony fretboard , jem neck , neck pickup , rosewood fretboard , string pickup , string pickups

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode