Will anyone build a JS body? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

Will anyone build a JS body?

Hello,

I've done quite a bit of searching already and it seems a lot of custom builders have disappeared in the last few years. I've found a few vendors:

ET Guitars - sent an email, awaiting reply
Mojo Tone - sent an email, awaiting reply
Legacy One Guitars - sent an email, awaiting reply

EKG Guitars - seems to have gone out of business
CWG Guitars - seems to be backed up/not taking orders for just bodies
Ed Roman - no thanks
Monster Guitar shop - seems to have gone out of business

I know that I don't have the skills/tools to cut mine out of a body blank. What I'd really be looking for is a JS/radius body with a fixed bridge, with a few routing specifics obviously.

Anyone else have any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 06:30 AM

Re: Will anyone build a JS body?

Get a JS100 body and completly modify it like i have....
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 09:15 AM

Ed Roman told me they would build one. But I've heard notsogood things about them and the cost was pretty high. For fixed bridge you could get a JS600 or JS700 and modify as you like. You'll see them go on the auction site occasionally.
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SP2333 View Post
Get a JS100 body and completly modify it like i have....
Looks like I'll have to be taking this route; I see a body for about $135 shipped on Evilbay right now. It's going to be a lot of work, shame I didn't get any takers.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 04:27 PM

You can fill that and make it work for a fixed bridge. That was why I was recommending the JS600. I bought one on evilbay for about 125 last year and am almost done with it. I replaced the stock bridge with a Gotoh and have put a 24 fret RG neck on it. Pretty cool for a cheap project. Good luck!!
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 05:22 PM
dex

Someone somewhere said once that the JS body can be made from a strat body with a lot of sanding, I remember seeing a tutorial somewhere but for the life of me can not remember where.

Check out Projectguitar forum, someone there may remember or may offer to make you a body.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 08:53 AM

Stratoskier is awesome at putting together projects. Here's a strat body he JS'd.

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f18/js...ish-96357.html

Last edited by lerxst6; 08-24-2010 at 09:00 AM.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 08:52 PM

Reviews: 37
Smile Re: Will anyone build a JS body?

I hear a company called ibanez makes a great one.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 03:09 PM

What about Warmoth?
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 03:27 PM

I asked Warmoth a year or so ago. They wouldn't. I was going to attempt to build a JS6 myself before I finally came away with the money for 1. If someone has CNC machining capability, I have a solid model that was created by sweeping a 540-R with a CMM (coordinate measuring machine). It's not perfect, but I'll gladly share the file. A good friend of mine used to work for a CMM company, and he had it done for me.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lerxst6 View Post
You can fill that and make it work for a fixed bridge. That was why I was recommending the JS600. I bought one on evilbay for about 125 last year and am almost done with it. I replaced the stock bridge with a Gotoh and have put a 24 fret RG neck on it. Pretty cool for a cheap project. Good luck!!
I was not patient enough to wait for a JS600, or a JS600 to appear on ****. Looks like I'll be working this JS100 body.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewsfury View Post
I hear a company called ibanez makes a great one.
Wow man, great suggestion. I would never have thought of this. Since I'm looking for a custom routed body, a company that does primarily mass production products with a custom shop that's closed to the general public would be a great place to start looking! Thanks for your help.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 06:50 PM

I carve them by hand. Just bodies to suit a neck you already have, or necks & bodies. some of them are all cut from 01 piece of timber - including the neck, all depends on what you want. I may be able to help you.

http://www.aeolianguitars.com/portfolio94598.html

http://www.aeolianguitars.com/portfolio80049.html

http://www.aeolianguitars.com/portfolio66640p5.html
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 07:27 PM

Great gallery paulie.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 07:47 PM

Thanks. Those are just a few of the guitars Iv built. most of them never make it onto the site (up to the client) I seem to be doing mostly JS types latley. of the 5 on the go just now there is only 01 i can post. shame, because there are 2 in particular that are realy something special.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 07:59 PM

There's a pretty decent condition JS1000 with a LoPro on e-bay right now that you could have for $1000. I'm sure that's less than you'd end up spending building a custom one.

Tags
fixed , joe satriani , js body

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode