Will Premium JEMs become collectable? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

40Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 08:22 AM Thread Starter

Question Will Premium JEMs become collectable?

What a question!

Seeing as the 70V and WDP have unique features such as the Edge trem and rosewood top/wooden scratchplates, is there any hope they could become collectables?

Would the pre-CITES rosewood guitars hold higher resale values? Can the terrible BFP "reissue" ever be worth anything??

Should we be buying select Premium JEMs or ignore the range completely as never being seen as "classic" JEMs like the pre 2004s?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 09:13 AM

Re: Will Premium JEMs become collectable?

They wont be as collectible because of where they're built and the woods used. What makes an older JEM special is that they used Ebony instead of rosewood, and even here in Japan, the price of the ebony JEMs have skyrocketed the past few years. You used to be able to find them for under 150,000 yen; not anymore. Cheapest you'll find them now is like 210,000.
post #3 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

I have two old JEMs a 7DBK and a 777VDY and I agree the build quality is stunning as is the feel and fit especially compared to the 70V I recently acquired secondhand with the rosewood fingerboard (2012 model).

Would the "early" Premiums JEMs be worth more as they have rosewood opposed to PangaPanga and other cheap alternatives? What about the 70V the only one with the Edge trem? What do you think? Is there any hope for Premium JEM owners?
post #4 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarakuma1 View Post
I have two old JEMs a 7DBK and a 777VDY and I agree the build quality is stunning as is the feel and fit especially compared to the 70V I recently acquired secondhand with the rosewood fingerboard (2012 model).

Would the "early" Premiums JEMs be worth more as they have rosewood opposed to PangaPanga and other cheap alternatives? What about the 70V the only one with the Edge trem? What do you think? Is there any hope for Premium JEM owners?
Maybe the SFG because it has the OE, but other than that, I doubt it. Heck they went as far as making a JEM Jr so people could mod them.
post #5 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 02:37 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

Thanks for the laugh @guitarakuma1 i almost spit out my coffee when first reading. Though TBH this is a good question especially if you think long term... when the next, next "cites" global equalization factor is implemented and possibly if Ibanez makes very few axes in JPN in a decade or three, etc. or if JEMs are ever not made at all (nothing lasts forever).

We should keep in mind most non-signature MIJ Ibanez guitars lose value at purchase and never recover back to the original price. Those (suddenly not very lame) Premium JEMs one day might actually be worth more than they cost new.

As the years pass people will possibly care less and less about Edge trems and even MIJ (and maybe too the endorser). The diehards are moving toward the fringes either way less and less mainstream than just a decade ago. Sure some eclectic if not creepy collector will horde & overpay but that goes for everything not just guitars.

The most interesting point to me is that the decades long "niche signature artist guitar" such as the JEM is really uncharted territory (different than the "signature" LesPaul). Lots of things in play including that we're all mortal & what happens next after an endorser is no longer with us physically?

I wouldn't recommend buying a Premium expecting to have a future collectible. But that applies to 99% of axes sold new anywaysÖ stranger things have happened.
post #6 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 04:07 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatiasTolkki View Post
They wont be as collectible because of where they're built and the woods used. What makes an older JEM special is that they used Ebony instead of rosewood, and even here in Japan, the price of the ebony JEMs have skyrocketed the past few years. You used to be able to find them for under 150,000 yen; not anymore. Cheapest you'll find them now is like 210,000.
They only used ebony on 2 JEM models, it has nothing to do with conductibility but more players preference. And everything has gone up exponentially in japan, which is why I just quit shopping Yahoo. Everything is overpriced.

Collectibility will always be in the eye of the collector. If somebody decides something is worth collecting, then it's collectible to him. To a completest that has to have one of everything then it has to be in his collection. If somebody is collecting for the hopes the collection will increase in value I think he'll be waiting a long time for any of the non Japanese models to do anything meaningful. Many JEM players that came thru the Fujigen JEM period won't even consider buying anything but a Japanese built JEM. The Premiums can make very good players at a much cheaper price point for guitars you can take to gigs and not have to fuss over, if you're buying New. If you're buying used there are plenty of cheaper options ie. DBK's and player VWH's that can be bought cheaper than a New Premium. Most other JEM's unless they're in poor condition have increased in value since new, with rare exception, some exponentially.

If Premiums every become collectible it means 555's, 333's and Jr's will also. Stranger things have happened, but with Steve mainly focused on these Indo builds it's quite possible the passage of time will make it inevitable.

It's always good to know collectors are now considered "creepy". What a tool.
post #7 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 05:11 PM

I came from the future and the answer is NO
jim777 and mike570 like this.
post #8 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 07:12 PM

Reviews: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuga666 View Post
Hahahaha!

I never expect any non-MIJ Ibanez to increase in value or any non-sig either. Maybe there are some niche guitars. I'm not sure my FRM 150 will retain value well but I think it being a sig and somewhat oddball helps it's value from sinking fast. I love Ibanez as players so I don't really worry about them retaining value. Honestly I think it's kind of cool the Premium Jem's exist. I'm not knocking their general collectible appeal, but if I got one it would be to have a coll player Jem. I wouldn't expect it to hold its value. But as has been noted - stranger things have happened. Weren't LP's and Strats low in value at one point in the 60's or 70's only to skyrocket in value later? And who's to say we won't see large collections of LP's and Strats from older collectors dumped on the market, making their value drop? Never say never.
I'm done buying guitars for a while but when I pick up again I think I might chase a few oddballs - and some are probably cheap but hard to find only because the had short production runs. I'd still like to get an RG1451, a Halberd XH300, the DT420 Destroyer that was out a few years back, a V-Blade VBT700, an RVX220DX. Most of these are definitely cheap guitars but when the time comes I might pay a few extra bucks if I stumble on one in good condition.
On the flip side the only MIJ Jem I'd want is the FP2. It would be sweet to own one but I'd be terrified to take a $3,500 guitar to a gig. O_o
Oh, and a PGM301 in good condition, but I'd expect to pay a decent price for one in good condition.
post #9 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-01-2018, 10:05 AM

In the UK adjusting for inflation the value on a 90s 7V with Ebony fretboard has gone down, because they are selling for the same now as what they were going for back in 2005 when I bought mine (£1200 ish for good condition), where as a lot of new guitars are much more expensive. Back then the 7V's were £1700 new in most stores and cheaper in others, now they are £2050-£2399.

I guess it might have something to do with the 7VWH specifically being the most common Jem model, but I doubt the "Premium" indonesian guitars will be somehow valuable in 20 years if some of the golden era Japanese guitars are not gaining value. Maybe it's different in other countries.

Some of the more rare Jems I think will skyrocket, the rest I doubt.
post #10 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 06:11 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuga666 View Post
RUFUS!!!
jim777 and The TPS Report like this.
post #11 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 10:24 AM

So much of collectible value depends on a cohort of people with money being alive at the time and desiring the item.

In the case of JEM’s the whole mythos is tied up in a period of time from 1987 to perhaps 1995 when a generation of guys went crazy over Vai, hair metal and this super playable screaming hot new guitar build.

Most of us are now somewhere between 45-70 years old, we’re the ones making those JEM’s collectible and when we move on, I don’t see another generation (ie my kids) having any interest in them.

And while the original era JEM’s have some value, it isn’t crazy value like vintage Les Paul’s simply because only a small subset of people got into JEM’s and the artist(s) who used them, unlike the Les Paul where you had massively larger icons using them (Jimmy Page, Townsend, etc).

TL : DR answer -> “No”
jemsite and Hoseki like this.
post #12 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 10:39 AM
Vendor

I don't see future generations having any interest in Bursts or pre CBS Strats either, they think Jimmy was a hack and isn't the electric guitar dead anyway?
post #13 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The TPS Report View Post
So much of collectible value depends on a cohort of people with money being alive at the time and desiring the item.

In the case of JEMís the whole mythos is tied up in a period of time from 1987 to perhaps 1995 when a generation of guys went crazy over Vai, hair metal and this super playable screaming hot new guitar build.

Most of us are now somewhere between 45-70 years old, weíre the ones making those JEMís collectible and when we move on, I donít see another generation (ie my kids) having any interest in them.

And while the original era JEMís have some value, it isnít crazy value like vintage Les Paulís simply because only a small subset of people got into JEMís and the artist(s) who used them, unlike the Les Paul where you had massively larger icons using them (Jimmy Page, Townsend, etc).
Well thought out post, and while much of the material may seem to be obvious, it's the best acknowledgement of these points in the thread so far.

I can see a possibility of certain models picking up niche interest but as you've noted, lack of high profile players negates the likelihood of there ever being high numbers of potential buyers fighting over them.
post #14 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-02-2018, 10:27 PM

FWIW I'm 27 and love Jimmy Page and JEMs. Also, I have a friend who's a guitar teacher and he always tells me about his (i wanna guess) 12 year old student who's into Steve Vai and just got a JEM-JR. Not to say there aren't plenty of young guitarists that don't care about 80s/90s shred (or Led Zeppelin) but i don't think interest in the traditional electric guitar vernacular is waning too hard.
Hoseki likes this.
post #15 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-03-2018, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathus View Post
FWIW I'm 27 and love Jimmy Page and JEMs. Also, I have a friend who's a guitar teacher and he always tells me about his (i wanna guess) 12 year old student who's into Steve Vai and just got a JEM-JR. Not to say there aren't plenty of young guitarists that don't care about 80s/90s shred (or Led Zeppelin) but i don't think interest in the traditional electric guitar vernacular is waning too hard.
I'm 32, play a Jem. On friday some guy came up to the stage to talk to me about my jem, he must have been early 20s. There is definitely some younger interest in the guitar, I do think though that we're one generation away from it dropping out of relevance since Steve Vai isn't having the same influence on the younger generations. When I was growing up learning guitar in the early 2000s Steve Vai was massive and all the kids learning with me were talking about him on a regular basis.

I don't teach so I'm not sure how it is for the new 10-16 year old kids playing, but I'm skeptical Vai is holding relevance... But then I could be wrong, my biggest heros were Gary Moore and Eddie Van Halen, which are definitely before my time.

Tags
collectable , jem , premium , vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode