Wood choice for JEM - Before I order that custom body - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-04-2001, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

Wood choice for JEM - Before I order that custom body

The guy who will build the body for my custom Jem (John Guilford) gave me a couple of options for my Jem body. My plans are to build a Neville look a like, i.e., no coating what so ever on the body. It will have Evo's in it.
Now, he suggested Honduras Mahogany. How does that sound to the folks here? He also has Alder and Basswood. I simply don't know what to expect from these choises, since I've never heard of it anyway.. :biggrin:.
I think I heard great stuff about Mahogany( And he reccomends it), but I'm not sure yet. Basswood is a no-no, I suppose, so I'm doubting between Alder and Mahogany. I don't think I can go wrong with either, but just to be sure.
Now, just imagine this fresh new *handbuild* body...
Oh yeah...
BTW, I've seen pictures from the work of this guy, it looks absolutly stunning!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-04-2001, 04:12 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Wood choice for JEM

you can buy a JEM w/ basswood or basswood, so i would consider something different. I would probably go with mahogany, possibly with a natural stain. You coud also go with a nice ash body. Alder i don't see the point of... so i'd take basswood over it. Either way you can't loose... glen
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-04-2001, 05:10 PM

Wood choice for JEM

I think Ash would be killer, especially since it would also take a stain. If you want to hear mahogany, go play an RG520. I picked one up (actually two, long story) and love how it's different than my Jem. Duh... that's something to think about...how do you want it to sound?
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-04-2001, 06:28 PM

Wood choice for JEM

yup, i agree, definatley the ash,

if you're already putting evo's in it, *and have an alder body, you'd be cheaper buying a 7vwh.

and if you wanted to hear the mahogany, then yes, try the rg520.

but if it's a custom then your going to need a unique sound, *the evos and the ash could be interesting.

........ *keep us posted man......

swig.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-04-2001, 07:12 PM

Wood choice for JEM

Ash would have the most pronounced (and IMHO most beautiful) grain pattern in natural...if he picks a nice piece.

Here's a nice little "Tonewoods 101" course to help you decide:

http://www.andersonguitars.com/toneLibInfo.html

Greg

(Edited by gkelm at 7:14 pm on June 4, 2001)
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-05-2001, 04:24 AM

Wood choice for JEM

You can't go wrong with Mahogany. It sounds great as long as you get a piece that isn't too heavy. If you are going for a natural finish, then Ash is beautiful with a transparent finish or a stain.

BTW, how much is the body costing you?

Rick
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-05-2001, 11:05 AM
rvj

Wood choice for JEM

Mahogany is a very good choice. If your looking for a grainy type of finish, Ash may be the way to go. You could also slap on a flamed maple top & transparent stain to get that really nice PRS look.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-05-2001, 04:34 PM

Wood choice for JEM

Both alder and basswood are soft wood and you easily get some dinks. I don't know how mahogany and ash are in comparison.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-06-2001, 12:20 AM

Wood choice for JEM

Ahh.....I have yet to find a wood that is tonally superior to swamp ash......
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-06-2001, 09:32 PM

Reviews: 5
Wood choice for JEM

My vote goes to Mahogany. And if you can get Brazilian Mahogany, it's better (not being patriot here! it's just a great wood). My next custom will probably be a JEM with Brazilian Mahogany body, Brazilian flamed-maple neck and Brazilian Rosewood fingerboard. Great sounding kinds of wood and easy to find here.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-06-2001, 11:09 PM

Wood choice for JEM

I would definitely choose Mahogany. *I think heavier guitars have better sustain. *Besides, using a different wood than most Jems will make it more unique.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-08-2001, 12:09 PM

Wood choice for JEM

I had a mahogany UV body made. Am using it with a UVWh neck, DiMarzio PAF7 in the neck, blaze mid and evo7 in the bridge, and lo pro 7. Finish is tung oil. My subjective impression of the sound of the body (of course, taking into account that every guitar varies in one way or another) is that I find that it is tighter than basswood, which sounds more "airy" to me. Unamplified, it rings loud and clear, but again, my basswood UV has the "airy" resonance whereas the mahogany UV is tighter, esp in the bottom end. I like both. hope this helps.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-08-2001, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

Wood choice for JEM

Thanks for the comments, folks.
Just one question. What colour is mahogany, unfinished? Is very light, dark or reddish?
Thanks!
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-08-2001, 12:14 PM

Wood choice for JEM

my was dark, reddish when unfinished. the tung oil gives a nice, rich hue.

Tags
alder body , custom jem , dimarzio paf , flamed maple , mahogany body , maple neck , rosewood fingerboard , swamp ash , tung oil

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode