Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Is it worth scalloping the last 4 frets like an Ibanez Jem

5K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  Rachmaninoff 
#1 ·
I have an Ibanez RG550 since I can't afford jem, way too overpriced and also I don't want to own a signature artist guitar. I'd rather make the guitar my own and be unique.

Scalloping the last 4 frets makes it easier to bend the string at those high frets, but anyone has idea how much it would cost to have something like this done. You'd basically lose the fret dots at the 22 and 24th fret?

#3 ·
Hello

After the scalloping is done, did he put something on the scalloped frets to seal the wood? I have maple fretboard and wouldn't scalloping frets remove whatever sealer was on top of it and expose the wood and theorically make that part of the wood release an odor or something?

That's my concern

#12 ·
I've thought about doing the scallop on the last 4 frets, but realize it would be too expensive to replace the fret markers, especially on a Premium JEM that doesn't have the scallops. By, the way, I have sanded down the back of a few maple necks and never had an odor, so not sure where you heard that myth.

#13 ·
I've had this brand new beauty for a week now and it still feels surreal thinking that I own this and I feel blessed every time I pick it up. And boy is it hard to let go.

I've played guitar for something along the lines of 6 years now and never owned a premium instrument despite being financially capable to do so. I thought to myself that I will probably never stop playing, so why not get that guitar that made me drop my jaw when I was still a little kid? Especially after slight back and neck issues I've been tempted by a lightweight guitar.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.