Would you do this trade? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

Would you do this trade?

Hi all!

I have a new Eric Johnson Stratocaster. Blue with bound rosewood neck. Also have a 2014 Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro 2 that has several dings and scratches but overall not terrible. I can trade those two guitars straight up for a brand new JS 2450 MCB (The new BLACK ONE!) New in the box.

Should I?

BTW, I should note im not a Les Paul fan and The EJ Strat is great but... i'm more of a Vai/Satriani kinda guy so...

hmmmm

Its a long story how I got the two guitars. One was a trade deal and the other was an impulse buy.

That JS2450 suuuuuure seems tempting

Last edited by mrchims; 01-04-2017 at 09:21 PM. Reason: forgot to mention
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 10:34 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Re: Would you do this trade?

Dump the Strat. No brainer least value.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 02:47 AM

I'm not sure. The EJ strat is a very good guitar. The 2450 MCP is new, but I'm not sure the value is there. Many JS players will prefer the 22 fret model.

Which one do you want?
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 09:11 AM Thread Starter

I think i've decided to get the JS. I just know i'll play it a LOT more than I would those other two guitars. Especially the LP. Just never been an LP kind of guy and while I do like Strats, I figured I can just grab one of those down the road when I see a cool black one with a rosewood neck for cheap : )
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 09:43 AM
Contributor

On this forum you'll find a lot of people that would say go for it. I think JS guitars are the best but it really comes down to your preference and if you'd miss two other very different guitars.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 09:56 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

The strat is similar to the JS (neck, shape, feel, etc). The trade is significantly in your favor if you trade the Strat as you said you can always find a USA one often $1100 or less. You can't get a new JS for that. Mind you, I wouldn't buy a new JS2450 ($3470 LIST, $2600 MAP) for the absurd cost but you're getting one for a huge discount over MAP.

The LesPaul is a keeper, even though it has the thick neck (i prefer 60s) but premium wiring w/ coil-taps, boost, etc. Every guitarist should have a quality fixed bridge axe i.e. lespaul. good luck either way.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
The strat is similar to the JS (neck, shape, feel, etc). The trade is significantly in your favor if you trade the Strat as you said you can always find a USA one often $1100 or less. You can't get a new JS for that. Mind you, I wouldn't buy a new JS2450 ($3470 LIST, $2600 MAP) for the absurd cost but you're getting one for a huge discount over MAP.

The LesPaul is a keeper, even though it has the thick neck (i prefer 60s) but premium wiring w/ coil-taps, boost, etc. Every guitarist should have a quality fixed bridge axe i.e. lespaul. good luck either way.
I see what you mean but the LP needs all new pots/wiring for all the coil tap stuff and so I'd have to pay for that PLUS the EJ Strat, even though new, needs some fret work. Several bad spot so...

I think i'll do the trade and get me a Strat next year and maybe an LP...someday. LOL

Thanks for your thoughts!
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 01:05 PM

The EJ Strat ($1,900 new) and the Les Paul Traditional Pro II ($2,000 new) are combined worth significantly more than the JS ($2,3000 new). Pass. Offer up either one guitar plus $3-400, or expect to get maybe a grand of cash thrown back in.

I love the JS body shape and I'm not a Gibson guy at all, but I'd much rather have the two guitars you have now rather than one JS.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
The EJ Strat ($1,900 new) and the Les Paul Traditional Pro II ($2,000 new) are combined worth significantly more than the JS ($2,3000 new). Pass. Offer up either one guitar plus $3-400, or expect to get maybe a grand of cash thrown back in.

I love the JS body shape and I'm not a Gibson guy at all, but I'd much rather have the two guitars you have now rather than one JS.
I did just that

backed out.

Im keeping the 2 guitars simply because, as you said, financially even though I have to fix LP, its still worth it to keep both.

So, now i'll just save up for a JS : )

Thanks everyone... made me think a little more and, I think make the right decision!
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 04:51 PM

Good call.

Even if you don't really love both, maybe sell one and put the cash towards a JS, or especially with a 1000 or 1200 (which IMO I'd rathher have anyway) you should be able to work out a swap for either the Strat or the LP for a JS. Both guitars for one seems very one sided to me, unless you've beat them to hell and back or something.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
Good call.

Even if you don't really love both, maybe sell one and put the cash towards a JS, or especially with a 1000 or 1200 (which IMO I'd rathher have anyway) you should be able to work out a swap for either the Strat or the LP for a JS. Both guitars for one seems very one sided to me, unless you've beat them to hell and back or something.
Thanks Drew! You're really the one that helped me think straight on this one.

The EJ Stratocaster is BRAND new! I mean, BRAND SPARKLING NEW! And is beautiful blue with bounded rosewood neck (frets out on a few high notes so needs a little fret work...no biggie)

The Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II (50's neck) was brand new when I bought it about 2 years ago but I gave it to my brother (felt bad for him at the time...long story) and eventually I actually BOUGHT IT back from him to help him out again (what a guy huh?! lol)

Anyways, when he had it, it got a few little dings in it and the coil tap knobs are ALL messed up so they're all getting fixed.

Not sure what thats going to cost but it'll be like a new LP somewhat. He said the grooves on the top cant be buffed out but he can help 'em so... It does have a beautiful flamed sunburst top. One of the best tops I've seen in a long time. Even the guy who wanted to trade said it was the top that really caught his attention so...

Thanks again for the advice everyone! LOVE this site!
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 07:45 PM

I would tend to want the strat and the JS. I have had American strats and teles galore and American Les Pauls and Fenders and Gibsons are classics.

If it was an American Standard Strat I would let that go, but the Eric Johnson is not only a USA strat, but also a custom model with some of the best aspects of a vintage guitar with some modern aspects to it, too. It's a keeper as is the JS.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 09:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicHorse View Post
I would tend to want the strat and the JS. I have had American strats and teles galore and American Les Pauls and Fenders and Gibsons are classics.

If it was an American Standard Strat I would let that go, but the Eric Johnson is not only a USA strat, but also a custom model with some of the best aspects of a vintage guitar with some modern aspects to it, too. It's a keeper as is the JS.
Yeah I am definitely keeping the EJ Strat. Now, I MIGHT decide to sell the Gibson and put the money towards the JS2450 ( I really want the 24 frets : )

But instead, as someone else here said, its always good to have a neck through the body, solid tailpiece guitar like a LP for any guitar player so I'm probably going to hang on to the Les Paul as well.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchims View Post
Yeah I am definitely keeping the EJ Strat. Now, I MIGHT decide to sell the Gibson and put the money towards the JS2450 ( I really want the 24 frets : )

But instead, as someone else here said, its always good to have a neck through the body, solid tailpiece guitar like a LP for any guitar player so I'm probably going to hang on to the Les Paul as well.
If you have the space and the cash, keep all three.

My house, 800 square feet, is small so I have my jazz hollowbody, my rock solidbody, and my acoustic guitar. I have a tiny practice amp and may get a mid-sized combo so that's it and any more spending will be on software to record. If you have the space, keep on buying because there's no way you know what the future holds. I have a friend who works for Facebook and didn't want to miss that opportunity and moved from his cushy life in his country to live in the crime ridden Mission District of San Francisco and pay ten grand a month rent for that privilege to see Zuckerberg in action which I suppose is a once in a lifetime chance. Another friend who had great gear joined the Navy so all stuff was sold and given away and there was no real option for a single man to hang onto it easily being in a different place all the time.

The Eric Johnson is cool in that it's basically a 50s body and neck, but with the aspects of a newer rosewood 60s fretboard. But the pickups are neither 50s or 60s but a special wind that EJ has for his sound. But since he's considered a shredder, the 7.25" inch radius of 50s/60s Fenders won't do, and neither will the sometimes 9.5" inch vintage neck but mostly 9.5" modern neck suffice, either. He has a very, very flat for Fender 12" inch radius fretboard.

I don't think you will find this type of guitar with such a bizarre set of stats coming out of any factory, especially Fender. At the flattest, Fender will go with a 9.5" inch radius fretboard, and all pickups from Mexican to US to Indonesian will probably be suited to a midrange based flavor and not as treble based as EJ's preference. He also has a thin skin nitro finish which Fender never did. Fender would sometimes use nitro but never that thin and usually with poly, too. You can get a similar wind with Custom Shop Duncans but other than that, the EJ signature is totally unique and worth keeping, even if the average guitarist thinks it's just another Fender Strat.

If you can never find an EJ, you would have to go to someone like Warmoth, build a guitar with those parts, get Custom Fralins or Duncans to approximate the pickups, and then have a luthier spray a super thin nitro finish to get it all done just the way Eric has this strat and that will set you back $2,500 dollars, easy.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 12:00 PM

I've actually got the EJ pickup set in a strat at the moment - not sure if they're staying there long term, but they're interesting pickups - SUPER articulate, though part of that is that the strat it's in has great acoustic resonance and articulation anyway.

Tags
js2400 , trade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode