Would You Relic Your Jem Like 'EVO'? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

Would You Relic Your Jem Like 'EVO'?

Would you relic your Jem to the exact same spec as 'EVO'? Relic jobs can look super on a Strat. But the exact same relic job as done on the 'EVO' that were made, would be pretty cool i think.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 10:24 AM

Re: Would You Relic Your Jem Like 'EVO'?

No way I could do that to a new guitar.... Now if it already had its fair share of dings and dents, then maybe I could take it a little further, less the magic marker EVO
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swirltop View Post
No way I could do that to a new guitar.... Now if it already had its fair share of dings and dents, then maybe I could take it a little further, less the magic marker EVO
Maybe we are not worthy of the magic marker.

If i have two white Jems and some expert could do it, then it would be tempting.
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 10:30 AM

Only by playing the heck out of it.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 10:58 AM

Reviews: 1

I relic my guitars the old fashioned way, time and use.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 11:56 AM

Never felt the urge to do anything like that. I would love a guitar to be relic-ed; by me, over 20 years on stage. Never wanted to do it on purpose.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 12:10 PM

Scars should tell a tale of use, not how many spare hours I have to mess about making it look like it's seen action. My "reliced" guitars got that way through gigging.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 12:35 PM

I should add, even when I use my guitars, I try to baby them. My 5 year old shechter still has the original plastic wrap on the back control cover.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 12:48 PM

Fender has had similarly messed up and expensive guitars like the Andy Summers telecaster so there's a market for spot on copies/replicas of the real thing.

For many it's OK to get a simple reissue with older style parts and pickups but putting in the wear and dings takes far too many man hours and the cost is prohibitive to most of us. Getting the wear down to a specific guitar we all know like that one EVO machine leaves very little room for interpretation and it's basically a custom luthier job

For most of us, a limited edition EVO is just too pricey so it's much cheaper to find a used Jem, pull out the tools and DIY. I did a Fernandez butterscotch blonde blackguard to the basic look of Jeff Beck's well worn esquire. I rusted out parts, roughed up body, dry rot begginings on the maple fretboard, and sanded the strat-like contour in front to match. It took forever to get it to there and to get it exactly like Becks would have taken a real professional and thus I understand the high cost of the EVO replicas.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 12:50 PM

Reviews: 15

Never.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bammbamm View Post
For a crazy man like Vai, that type of wear and breaking down of an instrument is far quicker than if most of us had a guitar.

The heavier duty Edge, over the original Floyd Rose, was because Steve destroyed so many Floyds with the typical use he put on them. Those EVO dings look like them come from him spinning the guitar or swinging it by the handle and losing grip thus letting it tumble end over end on a 150 ft. stage. Unless we are as crazy and intense as him, we couldn't normally get that type of wear on a guitar.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63Blazer View Post
For a crazy man like Vai, that type of wear and breaking down of an instrument is far quicker than if most of us had a guitar.

The heavier duty Edge, over the original Floyd Rose, was because Steve destroyed so many Floyds with the typical use he put on them. Those EVO dings look like them come from him spinning the guitar or swinging it by the handle and losing grip thus letting it tumble end over end on a 150 ft. stage. Unless we are as crazy and intense as him, we couldn't normally get that type of wear on a guitar.
I often wondered why he didn't look after his #1 more. I know the 'just wood and wire' thing, but it his main player for the last 20 years.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 01:24 PM

If I get a guitar that is mint like my Strat Ultra or JS1600 I keep it mint. I will take very good care of it. If I get a guitar that has it share of dings like my JS1000BP then I don't give a rat fart if it gets another boo boo.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenw5094 View Post
I often wondered why he didn't look after his #1 more. I know the 'just wood and wire' thing, but it his main player for the last 20 years.
He lives each note when he plays so for his antics, that guitar is actually in great condition for its age. A guitar for you and me probably age a year in a year give or take a few months but Vai's guitars age in dog years (seven for each of our one so a 15 year old EVO guitar would be like a guitar we similarly played for 105 years).

I am sure he has guitars he has snapped the neck on or broken the horn off or ones where the locking trem was ripped right out of the body. That physical style of play all seems to help him get his certain vibe and it's probably not all for show. I am not a still one on stage either and that's why I took to using hard to break stuff like telecasters. Could you imagine if Steve Vai played Gibson Byrdlands like Ted Nugent? Ted is crazy, no doubt, but he still doesn't abuse his guitars in the same way as Vai. What if Vai used a George Benson on stage and bent the neck to get a tremolo effect? I am glad Ibanez built him something he can't break that easily in the Jem series guitars.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 01:39 PM

Reviews: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by replica View Post
Only by playing the heck out of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bammbamm View Post
I agree - I think it's a bit silly to relic a guitar to look like it has the same "character marks" as someone else's guitar...just an opinion...although relic guitars seem to be quite popular these days

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode