Wow this Guitar is HOT and ... - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-26-2002, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
ggl

Wow this Guitar is HOT and ...

Hi, I'm totally new here and it was great to find a forum devoted to this nice guitar range. I just purchased a second-hand JS 100 last week and I'm blown away by this guitar as it has the most beautiful sound, playability and shape I have ever experienced. I did own a very nice US strat once that was amazing but this JS would kick it's butt big time.

I would like to know the age of the guitar and I haven't pulled it apart yet (because I can't stop playing it) so is there anyway of telling the age from the serial number etc? Mine has "94" as the last two digits of the serial number so I was wondering if this maybe the year?

I would like to make a few improvements to it though and these are pretty standard from what I have read. I will change the pickups first and while I like satriani's and vai's sound I don't want to clone them but I was thinking about a Dimarzio Fred/Evolution mix or a Fred/PAF PRO. The Fred seems to be a good pickup and I guess it's just working out what I should use in the neck? I like a soulful/warm sound but with the ability to do attacking/growling leads when I want. Some sounds I like just off the top of my head that come to mind are: Gary Moore (Loser), Steve Vai (Liberty) Santana's sound and Satriani's rhythm sound especially. I also like the odd bit of tapping and harmonic work.
I have a Peavy Triumph 6o Tube combo but may buy a Marshal combo in the future.

Maybe some ideas expanding on the pickup selection would help me and I know this topic has been discussed before but I'm planning on ordering the pickups next week and I'm still a bit unsure what to go for?
I will change the tremolo if that causes problems after I pull it apart, refit it with new pickups and set it up but that's another topic that I will look at later.

Thanks in advance for any feedback..

ggl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-26-2002, 09:36 PM

Your serial number should start with a letter signifying the country of manufacture (probably F for Japan), followed by the serial number. The first two digits of the serial number will indicate the year.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-26-2002, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
ggl

Hi, Mine startts with C50 xxx 94

So I guess that makes it a 94 model made in Korea? I'm glad it is older as I think the wood sounds better with age, maybe that explains the warm & rich, sustaining sounds I'm getting.
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-27-2002, 11:37 AM

Your guitar is a '95.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-28-2002, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
ggl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcord
Your guitar is a '95.
cheers, I see where you get the "5" now and I'm glad it is an older model.

Do you or does anyone else know when these guitairs were first released ?
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-28-2002, 10:59 PM
Vendor

94'
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-29-2002, 01:24 AM Thread Starter
ggl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
94'
thanks, so that must make mine a vintage model
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-29-2002, 01:28 AM Thread Starter
ggl

Well, Iv'e placed an order for a Fred Bridge F-spaced. I will see how this goes and then i will probably order an Evolution for the Neck later. I will post my feedback in a few days when it is in.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-29-2002, 01:46 PM

Yep, the satriani body style is one of the most comfortable i've ever played. And while the Lo-TRS bridge takes a lot of heat on this forum, it's on par with any Fender Floyd-liscensed bridge you can find, so i can definately see this guitar giving a US strat a run for it's money.

Enjoy the new axe!

by the way, you missed the most important question here- what color is it?

-Drew
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-29-2002, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
ggl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew
Yep, the satriani body style is one of the most comfortable i've ever played. And while the Lo-TRS bridge takes a lot of heat on this forum, it's on par with any Fender Floyd-liscensed bridge you can find, so i can definately see this guitar giving a US strat a run for it's money.

Enjoy the new axe!

by the way, you missed the most important question here- what color is it?

-Drew
I found mine to stay in tune ok but I don't use the wammy bar much . Mine is black and the body is in good condition for it's age but the frets may need replacing at some stage. The guitar has very good accoustics and just playing it without it plugged in nearly sounds like an accoustic. The thing I really like about it though is that it has excellent tonal qualities including each fret producing a very individual sound and all frets including the tighter upper frets produces clear rich sounds. The neck is very smooth and easy to play and the body is so light and has nice contours. I'm in love.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-31-2002, 10:11 AM

Hey dude! Congrats on your new guitar! I also have a second hand JS100 and I am also in the process of changing the pickups. After a lot of research, I have decided to put an Air Norton(Petrucci) in the neck and the FRED on the Bridge. They've told me this is a delicious combination. Good luck!
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-31-2002, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
ggl

cool

hey satchman888, please post details on how your setup sounds once you get the pickups in as I'm interested in that mix.

cheers ggl
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-02-2002, 05:21 AM Thread Starter
ggl

I got an Evolution

I went in and ordered a Fred Brigde F Spaced today and it they told me it would take 3 months and I did try another shop earlier that said the same. I paid a deposit and left to go into the city for more music shops. I walked into one and they had an Evolution Bridge F Spaced. I paid the guy and told him i just orded another Fred and he made a call and said he has Fred's as well. I got the Evolution and just changed my Fred to a standard and I don't mind waiting as it saves me some cash until it is here. But it was a real impulse thing and I hope I have done the right thing. I have it sitting here but I will take it back to the shop with my guitar and leave it with them for the day to install and adjust my tremelo. They are doing that for free which seems to be the standard and he took $20-30 off the price as well which was cool.

Anyway it will be interesting to play this thing after I throw the evo in.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-02-2002, 04:52 PM

Hey ggl! I live in Mexico, so I will get the pickups until I get to the US. In musiciansfriend they are easy to get, and they are cheap ($53). I will tell you my results at the end of August when I get everything setup. So, you bought an Evolution for the bridge and a FRED for the neck? Tell me about your results

Thanks,
The Satchman
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-04-2002, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
ggl

Quote:
Originally Posted by satchman888
Hey ggl! I live in Mexico, so I will get the pickups until I get to the US. In musiciansfriend they are easy to get, and they are cheap ($53). I will tell you my results at the end of August when I get everything setup. So, you bought an Evolution for the bridge and a FRED for the neck? Tell me about your results

Thanks,
The Satchman
hey Satchman, was going to let you know later today as I'm taking my guitar into the shop to get them to wire my pickups up. I will let you know later how it goes and I hope I get it back today.

Tags
air norton , dual sound , evolution bridge , gary moore , neck pickup , paf pro , pickup selection , steve vai , trs bridge , tube combo , upper fret , upper frets

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode