wow i never knew!! - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 10:35 PM Thread Starter

wow i never knew!!

well who would've ever thought . . .
i just recently got back into playing my old ibanez guitars (i currently have 3 of them) after many many years of playing strats exclusively. the first guitar i ever bought was a black rg550 with a maple board (i think that's the model and it's an '87 if i'm dating it correctly . . . and that is about the time i bought it), i bought it because i wanted to do the weird whammy bar stuff. i buy all my guitars out of necessity rather than cosmetics or collective value. the second ibanez i bought was a universe 7 string (it's a 1990 if i'm dating that one right . . . and that's about the time i bought it too). again i bought this guitar because . . . well i wanted to see what i could do with a 7 string.

allow me to break from my point here real quick.
sometime in 1998 i believe i bought one of those chrome joe satriani models. this was the only time i can think of that i bought a guitar based solely on cosmetics . . . it looked cool and i had some extra cash. i didn't really like the guitar too much so i ended up selling it to a friend of mine for next to nothing and he in turn sold it on ****. anyway if anyone bought one of these guitars on **** from a seller out of houston, tx several years ago please email me or whatever you do on this forum, i'd love to know who got it or where it ended up rather. i'll give his name in private. i have a couple of pictures of it if anyone would like to see but i'll have to scan them . . . this was back when you took rolls of film down to have them developed ha!!

allow me to break from my point once more.
sometime in the 90s i fell in love with strats so i sought one out. my only concern was that it was somewhere between a '54 and a '58 . . . i love maple board strats. i didn't care about the condition . . . i'm not a collector. i didn't care if it was a sunburst or a dakota red or any other off-beat color . . . i'm not a collector. i must have played every maple board strat on the planet until i found the one that sounded so good i simply couldn't pass it up. i ended up with a well-played but not destroyed '56 . . . nothing too special. i said i get my guitars for necessity only right?

ok back to my point as i'm sure you're all wondering why i'm telling this story about a strat . . .
the reason is because when i bought my 7 string i bought it out of necessity (i'll type that several more times before i'm done i'm sure). i had no idea until i found this site that these things were actually worth money. i've read a little bit about these guitars. i understand there's 2 different versions - something called an "MKR" and something called an "ATD." i'm fairly certain mine's an "MKR" based on the pictures i've seen. below is a picture of it (please excuse my dirty floor) and a link that'll take you to a tune i recorded with it last night . . . i haven't played the thing in years. comments/criticism about the tune are welcome
i'd like to know (if possible) a ballpark idea of what i could sell it for as i may do that, take the money and buy one of the new ones. i would like to always have a 7 string around but if this guitar is worth quite a bit of money i may just sell it . . . i only want a 7 string out of necessity (i told you). in my opinion *PLEASE DO NOT GET OFFENDED!!* there's nothing really special about the sound of this guitar or any ibanez i've ever played or owned. they're not like old strats where each one feels and sounds totally different *PLEASE PLEASE DON'T GET OFFENDED THIS IS ONLY MY OPINION!!* they're not hand made, hand wired, etc. so to me they all come out feeling and sounding the same. of course there's a different sound and feel variance between different ibanez models but unless i'm terribly mistaken and i very well could be as i haven't played one yet a new 7 string will play and sound almost exactly like this one . . . and if that's the case i'll more than likely sell it

thanks for reading

ah i can't post links yet . . . o' well if you'd like to hear the song message me and i'll give you the link . . . sorry about that

Last edited by circustance; 11-03-2013 at 02:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-30-2008, 11:43 PM

Re: wow i never knew!!

That's an MKR, but a pretty cool pattern. Currently with the economy gone down the tubes these are selling for somewhere around $2500 - $3000. I think there are two in the classifieds now for like 2900 and 3300. I also recall seeing one on the bay for around 3k that didn't sell and is re-listed with an opening bid of 2950 with no bids and probably won't sell although that one is in Australia. I would recommend you to hold on to it. If you still would like a 7 string around anyway, might as well hold on to it until things are looking better.

Welcome to the site, and don't worry about not being in love with Jems and Uv's, a lot of members here don't own one. Just don't diss them or else. Just kidding, welcome to Jemsite.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 12:23 AM Thread Starter

thank you very much for the info.
after reading my post again i think i may have been a little misleading in my comments about the tone of this/these guitars . . . i DO love jems/uvs/ibanez/whatevers. just as a strat sounds like a strat, a 335 sounds like a 335, etc. . . . nothing else sounds like an ibanez. what i really meant was . . . let's say i had 4 of these 7 strings - all of them would play and sound the same
the same could be said about new strats (although i wouldn't take one if someone were giving it away) . . . you could line up 100 new strats and they're all going to play and sound the same. but any ibanez is going to play and sound good or at least play and sound like an ibanez which is a good sound to me. new strats are just awful in my opinion - hence i sought an old one. you could take 100 1957 strats (if you can find that many) and each one is going to play and sound totally different. another thing i learned is that just because it's an old strat don't think that's automatically going to make it sound like heaven. out of 100 50s model strats 60 will play or sound horrible, 30 will play or sound good, 9 will play or sound great and finally 1 will make you see jesus

anyway
yeah i guess i'll just hold onto this guy for a while. but i do kinda feel bad since i don't really care if it's this one or a new one, i just want to keep a 7 string around. i know there are tons of people on here that would really love to have it. and if the new ones weren't so expensive themselves someone here could have this one for a couple thousand dollars. and hey you never know . . . i sold a '65 strat for $5,000 a couple of years ago so i've been known to do stupid things
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 12:47 AM

I hear you on the tone thing. I'm all for having a well rounded collection of tones. I find that different guitars inspire me to play differently when I pick them up. For example, the Rory Strat (if you haven't tried one you really really should), when I pick it up I just naturally go to the Hendrixy and SRV stuff right away. When I pick up the PGM I just want to shred away on it. They do have personality. And like you said, the Ibanez are best at what they do too, it's all good.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilkyBear View Post
I hear you on the tone thing. I'm all for having a well rounded collection of tones. I find that different guitars inspire me to play differently when I pick them up. For example, the Rory Strat (if you haven't tried one you really really should), when I pick it up I just naturally go to the Hendrixy and SRV stuff right away. When I pick up the PGM I just want to shred away on it. They do have personality. And like you said, the Ibanez are best at what they do too, it's all good.
I agree with you about having a variety of guitar tones. Sometimes the mix of guitars and certain amps really can inspire some unique ideas. I did a session, there was like 4 Les Paul standards to choose from. I chose the Les Paul goldtop I plugged that into an Orange Head, the cab was a 2x12 65 cab I want to say it had vintage 30's. The tone was vintage but I sounded amazing. I was blown away I never really tracked with an Orange amp. I plugged my Big Apple Strat in and the tone obviously was different again I was just blown away by the tone. I'll have to post a sound clip.

So my silly point is that amps too are very important also to a nice tone.

Oh dude try out an Orange Tiny Terror. That thing sounded amazing. This is on my amp wish list. Perfect for studio tracking for mixing in with other amps tones for a nice bigger tone.

=)

TT
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 10:43 AM

Yep, amps are next on my list. A nice Martin acoustic and a new amp or two. I have been looking at those vibroverb reissues with the Cesar Diaz mods, and maybe divided by 13 but I haven't played either one. It is near impossible to find any decent amps to try around here. I have to go by reviews basically. Also considering a Komet. I'll have to check out the Orange's, I have heard a lot of good things about them.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 11:04 AM

all you gusy talk about is tone and amps and diff sounds and studios etc and how much this guitar is better, im curious, what do you do with all your gear? i dont see much of you advertising your bands, or solo work so where are these studios or recordings you all seem to do?
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by postofficebuddy View Post
all you gusy talk about is tone and amps and diff sounds and studios etc and how much this guitar is better, im curious, what do you do with all your gear? i dont see much of you advertising your bands, or solo work so where are these studios or recordings you all seem to do?
Wanting good tone doesn't have anything to do with wether you record your music or not.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 12:14 PM

Quote:
I sit in my guitar room and play them. Then I come on here and talk gear with like-minded musicians. I have a day job. Playing professionally isn't even a dream of mine. However, once I retire from my day gig in 4 years, I will be getting a band of over the hill guys like myself to jam as often as possible.

I am also considering opening a music store (possibly even brick and mortar), so these guitars will be a step in the right direction.

Music has always been my passion, I will always play and always want that next guitar, amp, pedal, etc. I suppose that chase never ends.

And your band, how is that working out for ya? When you come to the states let me know, I'll come to your show.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
i'm new to this site so i don't have enough posts to add links. however, i did record a tune using the guitar that started this thread (i said that in my original post) and it's up on my website. i don't have a "day job" . . . well i do but it involves recording music.

get in touch with me privately if you'd like to hear something. i'm not going to go around posting unless i have a good reason just to get to the point where i can add links.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 07:03 PM

Reviews: 1

I think alot of us here will probably pursue live music after we retire from our day jobs.

I couldn't wait so I got a band together already - a bunch of grey-haired, 50-somethings out to play classic rock and teach the young dudes how it's done. No real shredding, but fun just the same.

Welcome to the site.

~j
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 08:41 PM

Quote:
If everyone were musicians then we'd still be walking.

There are lot's of people who don't record, or play in bands, that doesnt mean they have less of a love for music than a studio person or a band member.

I'd be willing to bet there are more people in the world who play in the covience of their homes with out others than play gigs.

By your way of thinking , we should tell every kid we see playing guitar, that if they are not gonna be a professional musician to go ahead and give it up.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 03:44 PM

We need more pics of that UV as soon as you can take some That one looks pretty cool
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777 View Post
We need more pics of that UV as soon as you can take some That one looks pretty cool
you got it . . . how're these?

Last edited by circustance; 11-03-2013 at 02:15 PM.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 11:17 PM

Hope this helps.

Tags
swirl 7 string

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

YOU KNEW YOU GREW UP IN THE 80'S WHEN

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode