yet another universe post - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-30-2002, 11:35 PM Thread Starter

yet another universe post

do you think i should buy pickup covers for my universe from jeannies? they'd be chrome to match the mirrored pickguard on my uv777bk. any beefs or suggestions first?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-30-2002, 11:39 PM

how about a photoshop mockup?
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-31-2002, 12:18 AM Thread Starter

i dont have photoshop. anybody else ?
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-31-2002, 02:19 AM

I have a new product line I'll be testing out in market soon, solves that problem all together....

Email me and I'll tell you more about it.....
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-02-2002, 11:20 AM

I put chrome pick-up covers on my UV PBK and the they seemed to interfere with the sound. *Possibly it was the chrome looking cover having an effect on the magnetic field (or maybe it was just the way I put them on - I did follow the directions). * Never the less it did look GREAT. *Maybe pearloid pu covers would look good and be functional.
Out,
GP
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-02-2002, 12:31 PM

I used to really enjoy looking around this web page but it is becoming more and more apparent that most of the people that visit this site and post on the forum are more into the looks of these guitars then the sound. I swear alot of you would change these pickup covers and let the guitar sound like s**t just so it looks cool. I am sorry if I sound kind of harsh but I have been seeing alot of this latley around here.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-02-2002, 12:40 PM

wireman24:
Maybe I should clarify myself. *I did put the chrome covers on the guitar, but do to the effect on the sound I removed them and sent them back. *If you really want to change pick up covers I suggested the pearloid covers. *I have maintained the original look of the UVPBK. *I always live by"Form follows function". *
Out,
GP
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-02-2002, 12:49 PM

I was not really talking about you pri0531 and I am glad that your are one of those people that do agree that the sound and function comes before all else. But I have just been noticing alot of people that are just hung up on the looks of the guitar over the sound. It's just been getting on my nerves lately. Another thing I don't understand are the people that buy limited addition guitars and stick them in a closet. Like the Jem DNA I bought one used and I totally played the s*%t out of it and then sold it on e-bay because I like the Jem7vwh better. I tell you my DNA was probably the most used and dinged up DNA there is I took it out to the clubs a few times a week and I would let others play it so it got allot of wear and tear. Sorry for rambling but Guitars are meant to be played not worshiped. So forget about changing the pickup covers leave it alone and play the darn thing. Also you guys that have your DNA's in the closet get it out and play it.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-02-2002, 12:52 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

Quote:
wireman24 on 12:31 pm on April 2, 2002
I used to really enjoy looking around this web page but it is becoming more and more apparent that most of the people that visit this site and post on the forum are more into the looks of these guitars then the sound. I swear alot of you would change these pickup covers and let the guitar sound like s**t just so it looks cool. I am sorry if I sound kind of harsh but I have been seeing alot of this latley around here.
tone it down please

i mean, "sound" and "tone" is an individual thing near much harder to display than a few photos or JPGs. It's also common sense that people want an axe that sounds great but looks pretty good too. No crime there... glen
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-02-2002, 02:57 PM

Quote:
wireman24 on 12:49 pm on April 2, 2002
I was not really talking about you pri0531 and I am glad that your are one of those people that do agree that the sound and function comes before all else. But I have just been noticing alot of people that are just hung up on the looks of the guitar over the sound. It's just been getting on my nerves lately. Another thing I don't understand are the people that buy limited addition guitars and stick them in a closet. Like the Jem DNA I bought one used and I totally played the s*%t out of it and then sold it on e-bay because I like the Jem7vwh better. I tell you my DNA was probably the most used and dinged up DNA there is I took it out to the clubs a few times a week and I would let others play it so it got allot of wear and tear. Sorry for rambling but Guitars are meant to be played not worshiped. So forget about changing the pickup covers leave it alone and play the darn thing. Also you guys that have your DNA's in the closet get it out and play it.
I've put at least a few posts advocating 'just play it.' *but that's just my personal view. *

some people use the guitars as investments - *last week i came within 24 seconds of buying a PMC off ebay which i felt would have sold for more than i'd have paid for it, if left unplayed. *might've been able to get about a 30% return on it eventually - better than any mutual fund could offer.

Some look at them as 'art' and just love the beauty of the instrument hanging on their wall.

i guess what i'm saying is "it's your guitar, enjoy it however you want, whether it's looking at it or playing it." *As far as the general attitude here, i agree that there's a bunch of people who are more into the looks of the axe before the playing aspects. *Just skip over those threads if they annoy you.

I have a jem & a UV, both have been customized to my tastes both sonically & aesthetically - i ran the ideas by forum members beforehand just to see what they thought and maybe had some other ideas. *I've learned a lot from this place just by keeping an open mind and open ears. *

most jemsiters are nice enough to give objective opinions and are supportive no matter what the decision or idea is. *This is one of the good communities on the 'net. *There are far better things to complain about.

~Kenny
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-02-2002, 09:35 PM

I agree with KENNY, this is one of the BEST communities on the net. if not "THEE".....
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-02-2002, 10:04 PM

Just gotta say....this IS the best community on the net. I'm sure most people here agree.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-03-2002, 12:03 AM

There are alot of exceptionally cool people on here that go well above and beyond to dole out the correct information about damned near anything.

Now...as far as aesthetics go...in my mind there's something you have to consdier. *Take a look at a group photo of every Jem ever made. *Look from left to right, look at each one slowly. *There's alot of exceptionally ugly guitars in there. *There's alot of neon ugliness and swirls that were tolerated in the eighties that have long since ceased to be desirable. *The kicker about this is that there are alot of folks on here looking for those really incredibly ugly instruments DESPITE what the modern aesthetic dictates. *This place DEFIES what is considered edgy and puts up with the haranguings from other musicians simply because they're great instruments. *They're better people than me. *There are very few JEMs out there I wouldn't play for a few weeks and then refinish just because it was so ugly.

Now...as far as rare guitars go....Guitars are something most of us grew up with. *In high school I knew the specs on instruments like most kids knew the specs on cars. *Just last weekend someone off-handed asked me some completely obscure question about Slash and one of his non-Les Paul guitars. *I ended up not only knowing the answer but the backstory behind it. *I know a revolting amount about them. *As a result I know what they're worth hanging in a shop, I know their potential value a few years down the road. *I know what they're going for used and I know how much I can make buying something ina *pawn shop and turning it around the next day on eBay.

Guitars are meant to be played in the same way that cars are meant to be driven. *I'm all for taking a 50's Ferrari out for a spin but I'd be an idiot if I drove it to work every day. *The same can be said of some guitars. *The DNAs are rare due to the exceptional number of them, the price of them, the story behind them and the huge buzz about them all. *Financially anyone that bought one as a player is a complete and total idiot. *For the money they could of purchased several other guitars that would do the same but not hold anywhere near the value of the instrument.

Personally I'll buy used guitars with a ding or two in them so that I can play them out. *The road case for my Universe is showing up tomorrow and I'll be damned if I don't play that thing out inside of a week. *But my first year Clapton Strat is staying home. *It's well documented, insured and gets played every so often because I enjoy doing so. *It got played out a few times but its been retired because I know what its worth and it has alot of senitmental value to me.

Bottom line is that youre welcome to do with youre money what you want. *You can put it all in a paper bag, light it on fire and toss it out of your car window while doing 90 on the freeway. *It doesn't mean I don't think youre an idiot for doing it though.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-03-2002, 03:38 AM

Quote:
kennydoe on 7:57 pm on April 2,

"it's your guitar, enjoy it however you want, whether it's looking at it or playing it." *
This kinda sums it up!!

Tags
jem dna , les paul , mirrored pickguard , pickup cover

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode