****** signed my guitar...... - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-04-2013, 07:06 AM Thread Starter

****** signed my guitar......

Am I the only one who finds 'signed guitars' unappealing..... even if i owned a JS10th or Jem 20th etc and had the chance to get Vai or Satriani to sign them, id turn it down.....I personally think it de-values the instrument (more so because there are literally thousands of guitars in the world with a Vai/Satch sig on them).... now a Hendrix signed strat might be worth something..... but dont you think that thanks to 'Meet & greets' and 'signings' that even in 100 years it will make the guitar no more valuable? (my own preference is that I just dont want something written in black marker across my guitar..... what are your thoughts?)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-04-2013, 07:08 AM

Re: ****** signed my guitar......

I think that in 100 years the signatures might be worth something. In the here and now, they only add value for the owner.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-04-2013, 07:13 AM

I get the backplate signed
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-04-2013, 07:13 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, I guess ive never really felt the need to get things signed..... Even celebs etc,... I can see the appeal for people..... I had the chance to buy a Jem7v recently but the guy had it signed on the body and clear coated.... Really put me off.....
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-04-2013, 07:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthtastic View Post
I get the backplate signed
Yeah that makes more sense.....
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-04-2013, 07:42 AM

I had Vai sign the back of the headstock.
The backplate is a good choice too.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-04-2013, 07:50 AM

I'm putting a guitar together to have big bands we play with sign, more of a keepsake for me than any retail value.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-04-2013, 08:24 AM

Reviews: 21

I'm not concerned about value but I'd be so paranoid the signature would wear off that it's kind of pointless to me. I like playing all my guitars and beat up on them enough as it is without having to worry about protecting a signature from wear. Having a guitar solely for the purpose of getting signatures is a good idea but it would have to be a Gio or something that I wouldn't mind not playing; and even then I might end up playing the Gio.
Id' rather get a CD signed or something along those lines.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-04-2013, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike570 View Post
I'm not concerned about value but I'd be so paranoid the signature would wear off that it's kind of pointless to me. I like playing all my guitars and beat up on them enough as it is without having to worry about protecting a signature from wear.
3M clear bra. This is standard on the new Jem EVO.

To me the signature on my LNG is cool because it truly is a limited release and each one is numbered. Same concept with the RBM2 and FGM models. Also, the signatures are on the back (on the control cover in the case of an RBM or FGM).

But having a non-signed guitar signed, other than on a control cover, is an absolute no for me. I will not buy a guitar with a signature. I hate back of the headstock signatures.

Last edited by Takin' a Ride; 02-19-2014 at 07:31 PM.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-04-2013, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean777 View Post
I personally think it de-values the instrument
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
But having a non-signed guitar signed, other than on a control cover, is an absolute no for me. I will not buy a guitar with a signature. I hate back of the headstock signatures.
Why? A signature can be buffed out in seconds. If you don't like it, just remove it.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-04-2013, 01:17 PM

If I can get my guitar signed by my fav guitar hero, it would be just worth for me only.
on the other hand, let say someone tried to sell his 'signed by vai' guitar, I would not give a damn, because it has no personal meaning to me.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-04-2013, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoshredder View Post
If I can get my guitar signed by my fav guitar hero, it would be just worth for me only.
on the other hand, let say someone tried to sell his 'signed by vai' guitar, I would not give a damn, because it has no personal meaning to me.
This. I wouldnt want to get a guitar presigned. I would want the guitarist to sign it for me and actually know who they are signing it for.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-04-2013, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatiasTolkki View Post
This. I wouldnt want to get a guitar presigned. I would want the guitarist to sign it for me and actually know who they are signing it for.
Same here, I have no interest in buying an already signed guitar. Honestly Vai is the only guitar player I'd even consider getting to sign one of my guitars, but I'd want it to be one the back like the 777's
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-04-2013, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by just4kinks View Post
Why? A signature can be buffed out in seconds. If you don't like it, just remove it.
I'm not confident you're right about that, especially if it were signed in black permanent marker. It could easily stain the clearcoat and still show if you attempted to remove it.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 10:13 AM

Yes, I agree

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode