[Did Ibanez mess] up the S-series - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 64 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

[Did Ibanez mess] up the S-series

To begin, I love the S-series, I have a 370 with ILT2 Bridge. The shape and look of S-model is perfect, I think the best guitar Ibanez have ever come up with. And they sound great!

But one thing i dont understand. They used to make S with Lo-Pro Edge
but now when they invented this ZR tremolo all S guitars are equip with it.
What's the point in it? I'm sure many S-lovers would love to get ones equipped with Lo-Pro edge and Edge..

Is it just me who thinks this ZR tremolo isnt as great ibanez thinks it is?

If it would be so revolutionary I guess we should see much more professional players using it...

I think Ibanez f*cked up the S-model with ZR tremolo

Last edited by Lonkero; 05-07-2008 at 10:22 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 64 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 09:40 AM

Re: ****ed up S-series

i like the ZR trem but im a novice player so what do I know.

I prefer a smooth pivot system instead of a knife edge that wears down.
post #3 of 64 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 09:46 AM

what do you dislike about the ZR? I played an S for a couple hours and actually had wished Ibanez would put a ZR on the the RG series. It just felt smoother and more stable to me than my lo-pro edges. I think both trems are at the top of their game, but it's preference as to which one feels better to you.
post #4 of 64 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 10:16 AM

I agree with Lonkero, the ZR trem is the main thing that will prevent me from ever owning a "new" Ibanez . Apart from looking gaudy and feeling unnatural it doesn't seem fair to have chinese made parts on a japanese made guitar.
post #5 of 64 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 10:31 AM

the ZR's performance is out of doubt as great as the Edge/LoPro bros's, if not even better. i played and trem-abused a couple ZR-equipped S's and boy, it's so smooth and stable even when not properly setup. i couldn't believe it.
but of course to each his/her own, you can hate it of course, but its performance is not personal opinion.

what's your problem with it?
post #6 of 64 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

Like BOT said, it feels unnatural and i just don't like it. Why they can't make S-models with Edge tremolos also?
post #7 of 64 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 10:37 AM

They're trying to make up for their lost contract with Floyd Rose, which effectively ended production of LPEs.
post #8 of 64 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 10:46 AM

i really enjoy the ZR
post #9 of 64 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 11:09 AM

I dont think saying Ibanez "F'd" up the S-series will get you any bacon bits around here. Being that ignorant even brings your PERSONAL OPINION of them down 10 notchs, cause if you are gonna bash something you clearly have little experiance with (calling it inferior? Please.) then why should anyone value your opinion.

I personally wish all RGs had ZR's, TO ME: they are much smoother, much better stability in tuning, Arent a pain in the arse. Its unfortunate they only come on S's.

Maybe Vai and Satch havent switched over because they been playing LoPros since the 80s, why would they change something they used for 20 years? That would esp hinder their live performance, being uncomfortable with a new bridge. But thats not a sole reason to bash the trem itself, which is clearly up to par with the Edges. I suppose anything less than a exact Jem Vai uses, or a chrome JS model is inferior too, right? Since they dont play any other guitars? Guess its time to throw away everyones J-customs and LACS's.
post #10 of 64 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

Oh...Should i now on wrote every time i say something TO ME: ????
OR IN MY OPINION I FEEL THAT
OR JUST MY 2 CENTS
Camon man, don't be such a fool

You NickCormier neeed to relax, and don't get angry if not every player
likes YOUR ZR
post #11 of 64 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 11:42 AM

Simmer down there, NickCormier. Nobody said that *you* weren't allowed to like the ZR trems, but you also need to realize that there are quite a few of us out there that don't think of them as the greatest thing since sliced bread. Easy to use? Yeah, I suppose. Easy to set up? Definitely, a monkey could set the action on a ZR. Comfortable? No, not especially. I didn't find the ZR to be nearly as ergonomic as a Lo Pro Edge, or even an original Edge. Visually pleasing? No, I personally think it looks as if someone riveted a child's toy to guitar. I don't own a ZR equipped guitar (I'd be an idiot if I did, based on my opinion), but I have tried them out on several occasions. I really don't care for the Edge Pro, either; it just feels "odd".

I think that if you compare the late 80s/early 90s catalogues to the catalogues of the present day it is very easy to see what Ibanez has "f'ed up" over the years.
post #12 of 64 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 11:47 AM

Alright, so everything that I dont like, im just going to go say "IBANEZ F'ED UP THIS WHOLE SERIES, OMG THEY SHOULD JUST BURN THEIR FACTORY DOWN NOW!" Right?

Im sure people will agree with me, Using the F word in your subject TITLE is NOT the way to go about saying your displeasure for anything, and want to maintain any kind of respect from anyone.
post #13 of 64 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickCormier View Post
Alright, so everything that I dont like, im just going to go say "IBANEZ F'ED UP THIS WHOLE SERIES, OMG THEY SHOULD JUST BURN THEIR FACTORY DOWN NOW!" Right?

Im sure people will agree with me, Using the F word in your subject TITLE is NOT the way to go about saying your displeasure for anything, and want to maintain any kind of respect from anyone.
Well, I do kind of agree with you there . That's not really the way I would have titled the topic, but it is what it is. I think it's great that so many people are happy with Ibanez's current lineup, specs and overall way of doing things. Obviously there are quite a few people that aren't, though.
post #14 of 64 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 11:57 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

lets post with a little more respect towards others guys ... glen
post #15 of 64 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 12:06 PM

Re: [Did Ibanez mess] up the S-series

Well I think Ibanez DID mess up the S-series, but not with the ZR. I haven't heard a whole lot of complaints about tuning stability, and if you don't like the feel of it, take the ZPS bar out. That being said, I still prefer the Edge tremolos over the ZR's. But, what they did mess up on was moving the production to Korea. After that, the necks got HUGE and quality became mediocre for the lower end models. I still can't get over how big the necks are, the S7320 has a stinkin baseball bat on it! Everybody who's played a late 80's/early 90's 540S with a square heel can tell you how much of a 180 this is. Maybe there will be a 540S reissue one day....

Tags
arm holder , dot inlay , dot inlays , edge trem , edge zero , equipped guitar , floating tremolo , floyd rose , locking stud , locking studs , mij guitars , pro edge , standard neck , tremolo bar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode