[WORKLOG] Jackson JS20 DINKY Project-help needed - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-29-2006, 03:37 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 2
[WORKLOG] Jackson JS20 DINKY Project-help needed

Alright, so I've had this JS20 sitting around for years in my closet. H-S-S layout, 22 fret maple neck with rosewood fretboard...the usual. It's a little heavy, and kind of cheapish. The frets buzz. The pickups are OK. Here are some pictures:

It's worth next to nothing, and it's just kinda sitting there...so I got this crazy idea. I'm thinking about stripping the paint and giving this baby a natural finish. I'm not sure of how to strip...someone told me a heat gun, but that would burn the wood...right? I'm also not even sure what wood this guitar is made from. Would the grain look good? edit: ok I've done some searching and apparently this body is made from Indian Cedro, which is a wood from India (duh). I'm not sure how it would look natural...

I've never even worked on a guitar before, so I'll need some help here.

I'll probably scower **** for a Jackson maple neck with maple fretboard as well, and when it's all done, pop in a tb-4 in the bridge and change the single coils to whatever.

What do you guys think? Good idea for a project?

Last edited by m3ta1head; 10-29-2006 at 03:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-29-2006, 04:13 AM

Re: [WORKLOG] Jackson JS20 DINKY Project-help needed

cool ! do it

you can use a heat gun for stripping the paint, alternatively you can use chemical strippers...

http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/tutorial5.htm

instruction for both !

I would check a timber supplier website to see how that wood is gonna look !
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-29-2006, 04:22 AM Thread Starter

Thanks man! I was looking for necks on **** and found this:

http://cgi.e bay.com/ws/e bayISAPI.d...m=130041137204

Item number: 130041137204

Looks pretty good, and from the previous auctions they seem to be going for about $50+shipping. Very cheap! My only concern is that the neck is a 24 fret neck, where as the neck currently on the dinky is a 22 fret neck.

Will I have mounting issues?
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-29-2006, 09:27 AM

There may be an intonation problem. The scale length of the guitar is 25.5", where the 24-fret neck (non-overhang, but where the heel is flush with the last fret) is the equivalent of 2 frets longer than a 22-fret neck. In effect, for 25.5", the 22-fret neck's neck pocket is further away from the bridge than a 24-fret neck.

Another thing to consider is that since it's a "cheap" guitar, the body wood may be kind of ugly and/or multipiece construction that's best covered by paint.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-29-2006, 11:49 AM

Yeah, I wouldn't try doing a natural finish, either, for that reason. One option would be to laminate the top, though, with some flame or quilt maple. Just check this out., if you already haven't:

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53911
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-29-2006, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

Are quilt tops and veneer expensive?

Thanks for the suggestions...I guess the only way to see is to strip the paint and look at what the wood looks like.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-29-2006, 03:34 PM

Not really. Here's a link: http://www.universaljems.com/cart/veneer.htm

Yeah, the only way to know for sure is to strip it down. Chances are, as it is a cheaper model, it will have ugly wood, but you never know for sure.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-29-2006, 03:49 PM

Go for it .

Regards

André

Tags
fret maple , fret maple neck , fret neck , maple fret , maple fretboard , maple neck , rosewood fretboard

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode