^Question about Ibanez 5 Piece necks... - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

^Question about Ibanez 5 Piece necks...

I'ts something of a puzzle to me. Not only why but how these two necks are constructed differently:

http://img352.imageshack.us/img352/9...imtunergt0.jpg
http://img352.imageshack.us/img352/7...ntfneckfk8.jpg

Now, according to Ibanez, if i recall correctly, both those necks are considered '5 piece', and in a strictly technical sense I suppose its true.

But what gets me is this. Firstly, why make those two black fills so incredibly thin? surely that defeats the point of a 5 piece neck since the bulk of the tension is now in the other pieces.

Secondly, is that even wood in the thin fillets there? I can't personally think of a convenient way of cutting wood the thin bar a single super long plane stroke. A lot of hassle to go to surely?

Anyone care to shed light on the differences between the uber thin fillets and the normal fillets, and the reasons for each?

----------------
Now playing: Ayumi Hamasaki - Who...
via FoxyTunes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 03:40 PM
MFB

Re: ^Question about Ibanez 5 Piece necks...

I'm not sure of the first one, and it does seem very pointless. Maybe if it was a little thicker and made of a real strong wood like the MTM neck has, then it would even out but that really doesnt seem to have a point

As for the second one, I doubt it's that big of a hassle for them to cut the wood, and while it's not as thin as the first, it's still a decent size
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFB View Post
I'm not sure of the first one, and it does seem very pointless. Maybe if it was a little thicker and made of a real strong wood like the MTM neck has, then it would even out but that really doesnt seem to have a point

As for the second one, I doubt it's that big of a hassle for them to cut the wood, and while it's not as thin as the first, it's still a decent size
Sorry, the questions were both aimed at the first, thin filleted neck. I understand why everything is why it is on the neck with the thick fillets. Its just I can't see any mechanical or production advantages from the thin ones, and I doubt its an aesthetic issue since its the back of the guitar. I was hoping someone would be able to shed some light on why ibanez seem to be moving away from the 'standard' fillets to these super thin ones...

----------------
Now playing: Ayumi Hamasaki - Fly high
via FoxyTunes
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

45 views and no-one can guess?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 02:34 PM

It's quite obvious, the 2nd has 5 pieces of wood clearly, because of the two walnut stripes in it, wheras the other is using just 5 different peices of maple >?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellyOFG View Post
It's quite obvious, the 2nd has 5 pieces of wood clearly, because of the two walnut stripes in it, wheras the other is using just 5 different peices of maple >?
Nope. 3 pieces of maple, and those two thin lines are considered the 4th and 5th pieces.

----------------
Now playing: Rage Against The Machine - Microphone Fiend
via FoxyTunes
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 02:53 PM
Vendor

The thin strips are walnut, and I call them 3 piece necks. The fillets are decorative at best.

The wenge or bubinga strips are functional and the second would be a true 5 piece.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
The thin strips are walnut, and I call them 3 piece necks. The fillets are decorative at best.

The wenge or bubinga strips are functional and the second would be a true 5 piece.
thats right,
the first one has two walnut strips.
its basically a cosmetic addition that makes a 3 piece maple neck construction look better and in no way adds to the stability of the neck itself.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 03:47 PM

The thin strips just look cooler than having just a three piece neck. Maybe they provide some stability to the glue joints.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 08:51 PM

the first pic is a prestige neck and the second one is a korean one right?
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 09:27 PM

Yeah maybe the Koreans don't have the technology to slice it so thin...
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-12-2008, 04:18 PM

haha no, what I meant is that maybe there is no real need for the extra pieces, I mean the 2 extra pieces in a prestige neck won´t do much if the neck is warping or something like that
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-12-2008, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
thats right,
the first one has two walnut strips.
its basically a cosmetic addition that makes a 3 piece maple neck construction look better and in no way adds to the stability of the neck itself.
Another agreement here, it's all aesthetics.. Would you rather have a plain neck, or something a little interesting?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode