10 Things You Wish You Knew About Guitars (Before You Bought One.) - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 07:17 AM Thread Starter
Ava

10 Things You Wish You Knew About Guitars (Before You Bought One.)

Hi, I'm Ava, the blog moderator for Jemsite's newest community blog. I've been asked to write a short blog post for another blog on 10 Things You Wish You Knew About Guitars (Before You Bought One) and I'd like to turn into a Jemsite user-friendly concept. (10 Things Jemsite Users Wish They Knew about Guitars (Before They Bought One.)

I wanted to make it informative, funny, and witty. So I'm asking the experts! What's one or two things you guys would you guys put on this list? If I use it, I'll try to give you credit in the post.

Thanks,
Ava
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 08:35 AM

Re: 10 Things You Wish You Knew About Guitars (Before You Bought One.)

On top of my head:

1. The impact of a proper setup (intonation and playability).
2. To spend a little extra money and buy a proper guitar (may be pre-owned) with someone who knows what's worth anything as a guide.
3. The joy of string change once every few months.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 08:53 AM

To add to Jacob's point number 3, getting a guitar with a floating tremolo system as the first may not be a good move if no one around knows how to set it up.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 08:53 AM

Reviews: 25

Never rush into any purchase, reseach the guitar before you buy !!!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 09:25 AM

Reviews: 12
Red face Re: 10 Things You Wish You Knew About Guitars (Before You Bought One.)

1) How many women would be turned onto you because you play that beautiful guitar, and then 6 months later how turned off those same women are because you play that damned guitar...

2) To keep them nice because they will accrue some value...

3) How unimportant playing guitar would be in the future of real employment.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEADTUNES666 View Post
1) How many women would be turned onto you because you play that beautiful guitar, and then 6 months later how turned off those same women are because you play that damned guitar...
LMFAO

So true!!! I found that out the hard way though
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 09:59 AM

In no particular order:

1) Save money now and get a better guitar and more satisfaction later on.
2) Play everything regardless of what's "cool" or not.
3) Amps are as much of a part of the electric guitar as the big sound box on an acoustic is.
4) Decide what your style is and let yourself decide what gear to use not your friends, a forum, guitar teacher or even your guitar hero.
5) Playing better is sounding better.
6) Don't discount the comfort of a guitar in your hands and on your body while playing, just because another one looks "cooler."
7) Is the guitar easy to tune and stays in tune (basic but important)
Gold hardware wears off anyways (from my dad the gibson jazzbox player).
9) You will get tired of every color after a while (even swirls).
10) Does the electric guitar have sustain, tone and good harmonics unplugged.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 11:05 AM

One advice I always give people who start : looks ARE important ! Too many beginners buy some standard guitar that they don't find particularly attractive and hence sometimes their desire is also minimized to take it out, clean it and play it. When you have a guitar you love looking at, it is a very strong impetus to take it out, play it and take well care of it. That's why I always recommend to people, besides the obvious (ie gooud sounding, comfortable ...) to pick a first guitar that they also think looks cool !

In the same vein, if you can wait a little (money wise) and get a very decent guitar right away, do it and don't go for something cheapish. Not only will it look better and motivate you more to play (see above) but the value of actually having a guitar that doesn't go out of tune, with fret ends that don't rip your fingers off when you do a slide, a lutherie that allows for a good setup without buzz, intonation that is proper etc ... will not only extend your playing pleasure but also more importantly be more musical, and overall provide way more fun and help you improve.

So, as far as budget allows, and as counterproductive as it may seem, I do recommend even beginners that are motivated to get a good guitar right away from the start and I don't believe in the : buy a 100$ guitar to start and when you're a good player buy something better.

The turning point is also that, should you resell your first guitar, because after time you realize you prefer other neck shapes (or you even want to stop guitar alltogether) etc ... a good guitar will have much better resale value than a cheapo. Oh ... and of course should you want to "upgrade" it with better pickups etc, it is also better to allready have a good base down (woods, craftmanship ...)

Last edited by chlamy; 12-14-2008 at 11:11 AM.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-14-2008, 12:21 PM

You MUST learn to tune it. Buy a tuner the day you buy the guitar if you can't do this already; if it isn't in tune you can't do anything with it other than make noise.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-15-2008, 01:08 AM

Realise before you buy the first one that guitars are somewhat more addictive than crack.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-15-2008, 02:00 AM

really learn why x guitar is better then y guitar and learn what neck profile you like pickup configuration you like trem system you like, string gauge you like and take into account the type of music you play or wish to play, and learn why one guitar is 1k and another is 2k but they look the same.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-15-2008, 04:36 AM

... That Ibanez would reissue another 80's classic.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-21-2008, 09:41 PM

That I don't really care for the Edge-Pro but still I have two guitars with it on....and apparently you need to be a F**king Rocket Scientist to make an Original Edge fit into the body that is routed for an EP!
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 07:58 PM

1.Just because a guitar looks and sounds cool doesn't necessarily mean you will because you buy it.
2.The secret to being an accomplished guitarist is actually playing,
not reading about playing,posting about playing or watching others play.
3.If you practice things that are hard for you, it makes everything else you play seem easy.
4.If you practice things that are easy for you, you have just wasted good practice time.
5.If you buy the same guitar back 5 times and still don't bond with it, chances are it is just not for you.(recent experience)
6.When you finally find that holy grail guitar,buying 4 more exactly like it doesn't necessarily mean you will have 4 times the enjoyment.
7.Although it sounds cool,having 20+ guitars is
a) a lot of maintenance
b)20+ pickup choices
c)a lot of string sets
d)20 more choices than I probably need when deciding what to play
e)still has nothing to do with being a better player.
8.I know tone is in the hands,unfortunately you can't hear it without a guitar and amp.
9.There is no "magic bullet","ninja scroll" or "top secret formula"to be a guitar master,only practice and hard work.
10.There is a secret to getting along with bandmates and other muscians-don't be an a*****e.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicdr View Post
1.Just because a guitar looks and sounds cool doesn't necessarily mean you will because you buy it.
2.The secret to being an accomplished guitarist is actually playing,
not reading about playing,posting about playing or watching others play.
3.If you practice things that are hard for you, it makes everything else you play seem easy.
4.If you practice things that are easy for you, you have just wasted good practice time.
5.If you buy the same guitar back 5 times and still don't bond with it, chances are it is just not for you.(recent experience)
6.When you finally find that holy grail guitar,buying 4 more exactly like it doesn't necessarily mean you will have 4 times the enjoyment.
7.Although it sounds cool,having 20+ guitars is
a) a lot of maintenance
b)20+ pickup choices
c)a lot of string sets
d)20 more choices than I probably need when deciding what to play
e)still has nothing to do with being a better player.
8.I know tone is in the hands,unfortunately you can't hear it without a guitar and amp.
9.There is no "magic bullet","ninja scroll" or "top secret formula"to be a guitar master,only practice and hard work.
10.There is a secret to getting along with bandmates and other muscians-don't be an a*****e.
if 20 is just to many let me have 19 to make your choice easier :0

Tags
acoustic guitar , buy , electric guitar , ibanez

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode